It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Australian air forces number one enemy......

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 26 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I just read a funny story and had to share it.

I am still laughing. Aussies should get a kick out of this too.

The reuse of some object-oriented code has caused tactical headaches for Australia's armed forces. As virtual reality simulators assume larger roles in helicopter combat training , programmers have gone to great lengths to increase the realism of the their scenarios, including detailed landscapes and -- in the case of the Northern Territory's Operation Phoenix -- herds of kangaroos (since groups of disturbed animals might well give away a helicopters position).

The head of the Defense Science and Technology Organization's Land Operations/Simulations division reportedly instructed developers to model the local marsupials' movements and reaction to helicopters.

Being efficient programmers, they just re- appropriated some code originally used to model infantry detachments reactions under the same stimuli, changed the mapped icon from a soldier to a kangaroo, and increased the figures' speed of movement.

Eager to demonstrate their flying skills for some visiting American pilots, the hotshot Aussies "buzzed" the virtual kangaroos in low flight during a simulation. The kangaroos scattered, as predicted, and the Americans nodded appreciatively . . . and then did a double-take as the kangaroos reappeared from behind a hill and launched a barrage of stinger missiles at the hapless helicopter. (Apparently the programmers had forgotten the remove "that" part of the infantry coding).

The lesson? Objects are defined with certain attributes, and any new object defined in terms of the old one inherits all the attributes. The embarrassed programmers had learned to be careful when reusing object-oriented code, and the Yanks left with the utmost respect for the Australian wildlife.

Simulator supervisors report that pilots from that point onwards have strictly avoided kangaroos, just as they were meant to.

www.kt70.com...
edit on 5 26 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Now that was funny!

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Woulda been better if they'd used Koala bears.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Excellent! Enjoyed reading the story.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Hilarious! I don't think I'll think of a kangaroo again without picturing it firing missiles from behind a hill. Priceless.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

That was hilarious. If I was there, they would had to carry me out on a stretcher because I can't stop laughing.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Not quite what happened....

www.sie.arizona.edu...

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Well it could serve as tactical disinformation with any future attempt in a scenario involving an invasion would have the enemy expecting weaponized cangaroo to attack them, Skippy the commando.
Brought a smile to me and must have caused some red face's, is there a name for fear of armed kangaroo.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It would never happen...

cause Skippy says so...

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Funny story, though...

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I so need skippy sometimes. I will look to him for guidance before flaming on.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce
Not quite what happened....

www.sie.arizona.edu...

Urban myth or not, it was a good read and definitely funny. Laughing makes you live longer - but please don't look that up because it's probably just a myth too

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
These programmers we're most likely the same mob used for the billion dollar Myki disaster!

Mind you, roo's should demand your respect, armed or not

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Hey, I reckon the programmers would do it on purpose. I certainly would to give the yanks a bit of stick lol. Watch out for the pouch full of hand grenades with joeys to chuck em aye. Koalas as 'drop bears', Cockatoos as 'lookouts', crocs as 'subs' and wombats as 'miners'. We'd win a war aye!!!

Bally.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Or...

Australia uses Tony Abbott.
USA is dumbfounded, falls over and dies rather than be subjected to his stupidity.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Well you just aced my native animal military might with that one hahaha

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Thank you for a damned good laugh!

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
Couldn't use Koalas as they are in logistics only.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

Hey, I reckon the programmers would do it on purpose. I certainly would to give the yanks a bit of stick lol. Watch out for the pouch full of hand grenades with joeys to chuck em aye. Koalas as 'drop bears', Cockatoos as 'lookouts', crocs as 'subs' and wombats as 'miners'. We'd win a war aye!!!

Bally.

G, day mate. Firstly the story cracked me up. Still laughing.
secondly I, m with you. On the reason
.watch out yank even the bloody roos will have yer guts fer garters.
but wait there is more. You wont get steak knives but you do get spring snakes and those dreaded toggles. Lol

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Who knew roos could be so dangerous.

Roos with stinger missiles. Probably the funniest thing I've read on ATS for a long time.

Thanks OP.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join