It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large asteroid on collision course with Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I saw this on CNN. Apparently its 10 miles across and will hit the Earth in 2041. That I believe is larger than the object that killed the dinosaurs. Pretty scary, a 10 mile object could end civilization. I am not sure of the veracity of this story, (as the date given is march 35th, could be a hoax) but if it turns out to be true its pretty disturbing.

ireport.cnn.com...
edit on 26-5-2014 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

I have looked on the web and there is no other information on it, it appears to be a HOAX. Please accept my apology and disregard this post.
edit on 26-5-2014 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Wow..why not report the whole story or at least accurately report the title.

"Giant asteroid possibly on collision course with Earth"

The small article is filled with could, possibly, maybe and other similar words.

Why report it as fact in this post unless you just like sensationalism.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

NOT going to happen. I promise you.

Nothing at all will happen on March 35th 2041
There is no March 35th......

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
2041? Well, maybe we should start preparing in 2040 then
All the money that we toss into space, and nobody has figured a way to shoot down an asteroid that size yet. Maybe we should get our priorities straight. I can see spending money on that but not on a manned Mars mission or another manned trip to the moon. I guess important projects don't get funded so they can play braggart with "we were the first to do this"........ Sounds normal.
edit on 26-5-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: mwood

holy crap, they did print that didnt they...lol

Good eye.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Hmmm...

The asteroid is calculated to have a potentially lethal encounter with the Earth on March 35, 2041.

ireport....

edit on 26-5-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spacing

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
No problem, the Asteroid is expected to hit earth on March 35, 2041 according to the article. Now, all we have to do is make sure they don't mess with the calender so there is a march 35.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
You all repliers? READ the WHOLE 1st thread post 1st before responding! It says/is a HOAX!

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

But hoaxes are so fun to respond to.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The real one that "could" hit us. I don't believe their odds because people panic so they tell you what you need to hear, this one could hit us but would not be a planet killer.

Earlier this month, Ukrainian astronomers made a pretty big discovery: a quarter-mile-wide asteroid, to be exact.
+
From their initial calculations, the astronomers learned that a relatively large, never-seen-before asteroid—named 2013 TV135—had just buzzed safely past Earth but would make an extremely close call on August 26, 2032.

qz.com...

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
2041? Well, maybe we should start preparing in 2040 then
All the money that we toss into space, and nobody has figured a way to shoot down an asteroid that size yet. Maybe we should get our priorities straight. I can see spending money on that but not on a manned Mars mission or another manned trip to the moon. I guess important projects don't get funded so they can play braggart with "we were the first to do this"........ Sounds normal.

You would know this as a fact how? I imagine our technological abilities are much greater than we could possibly imagine...

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

The going theory /explanation is that we dont have a way of accurately measuring an asteroids density.

Its like trying to hit a baseball made of either lead or pez...what do you use a bat or a hammer?

The wrong choice could splinter it into hundreds of deadly projectiles with an increased hit rate. Turning a bullet into buckshot...

or it could pass right through it and send a donut at us instead of a ball. either way its pretty bad.

We just dont know what to throw at it because we dont really know what IT is.

edit on 5 26 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

That one flew by last year, right? Yikes!!

We are almost assuredly safe from this errant geological space wanderer.
The odds of this rock hitting us in 19 years are about the same as being dealt a straight flush in poker in a five-card hand. Very, very rare—but it happens.

linky

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
SOMEDAY an asteroid will nail us ... but not on a March 35th ....

Go and enjoy the holiday weekend ... it's beautiful out there!

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
SOMEDAY an asteroid will nail us ... but not on a March 35th ....

Go and enjoy the holiday weekend ... it's beautiful out there!

Cold and miserable here really :-) I think we could be hit by said asteroid on the 35th..you just never know...maybe the calendars will be changed

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
I saw this on CNN.

It's not "on CNN". It is (was) an iReport.

iReports are "citizen journalism": in other words, any Tom, Dick or Harry can upload anything they want.

It is similar to Wikinews in that it allows, and encourages, regular citizens to submit stories, photos and videos related to any breaking news. Submissions are not edited, fact-checked, or screened.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join