It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I was the NRA"...an observation on guns and gun ownership.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

As we country bumpkin Canadians like to say:

You can't hunt moose with a handgun, and you can't hunt prairie chicken with an AK47... so why own either ?

You used to be able to bring your pistol with you when you went out into the bush. Many Canadians hunt with their semi-auto SKS rifles which fires the same round as the AK-47.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: smithjustinb
I own a gun because I value my life enough to protect it to the fullest extent possible when confronted with any situation. I also own a gun because I value the lives of those around me enough to protect them.

If you are against protecting yourself and your family, that is a strong, negative statement of the kind of person you are.

There are many ways to defend yourself without the need of a gun. Only weaklings and people who know nothing about self defense think I have to have a gun to protect myself.

Generally I agree but there are places where you need a gun. Svalbard, for example. I don't think they are for urban areas and that's why we have Police who are armed. I've also noticed there are people at any mention of gun control close off their ears. It's a push back on gun control that is unreasonable in the face of so much carnage.
I've concluded they are in love with their gun more so than the Constitution, rights, students, misfires, accidental death and murders that occur. I've read about people who hide ammo from their wives. It is a love that goes beyond any healthy interest in sports, it prevents common sense and reason and the people need help, like any other addict.
There is no word for gun lover but whenever the topic is brought up some people react like you're pulling a needle out of their arm, signs of paranoia, narcissism, cult membership, could classify as a mental illness and this unnatural attachment to a deadly object become a type of -ophile.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Loveaduck
Screw your gun control, damn right I will close my ears off to the suggestions. Been dealing with encroachment on my gun rights since I was 8, and I am sick of it. Screw your gun control. I own many guns, only one has shot another person, he was stupid enough to push his way into my apartment with a kitchen knife, and not leave when ordered. Crackhead had a fun time getting them pellets out that night I bet.

I could say the same about mental illness and gun grabber advocates. They are mentally ill, suffering from a phobia. Millions of guns around, the vast majority of scary "assault rifles" never harm another human being. Yet people want me to give mine up. Screw that.

And don't gimme any of that emotional for the children crap, the children are gonna grow up and be subjected to the encroachment nonsense. It is for the children I will fight the illogical gun grabbing crap, so they will have the right to defend themselves with the best tools available to do so.
edit on Sun, 01 Jun 2014 21:16:54 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Screw your gun control, damn right I will close my ears off to the suggestions. Been dealing with encroachment on my gun rights since I was 8, and I am sick of it. Screw your gun control. I own many guns, only one has shot another person, he was stupid enough to push his way into my apartment with a kitchen knife, and not leave when ordered. Crackhead had a fun time getting them pellets out that night I bet.

I could say the same about mental illness and gun grabber advocates. They are mentally ill, suffering from a phobia. Millions of guns around, the vast majority of scary "assault rifles" never harm another human being. Yet people want me to give mine up. Screw that.

And don't gimme any of that emotional for the children crap, the children are gonna grow up and be subjected to the encroachment nonsense. It is for the children I will fight the illogical gun grabbing crap, so they will have the right to defend themselves with the best tools available to do so.

Do people really want you to give your guns up? Since you were 8??? My brother was getting his first gun about that age. You must have lived in the city or something like that. And they are still after YOUR guns presently? Strange. I mean, is it causing a problem at home and someone is asking you not to keep a weapon in the house, or is it a neighbor who see's you with the guns outside? Does a doctor want you to give your guns up? Who has ever asked you to give your gun up and why was that? Were you arrested or hospitalized? It's kind of a personal thing to ask someone to do, and so that is why I am curious who it was, and if you know why YOU were asked to give your gun up. Because most people are allowed to have them and people don't try to take them away. It's the rare bird who people, or maybe the law, asks NOT to have a gun, and there is usually a pretty good reason. They might be paranoid schizophrenic, or have a history of violent rages, out of control, mentally ill, thinking people are after them...usually there is a pretty good reason for people NOT to have guns.

Do YOU think everyone should have one?
Do you know of anyone who should NOT be issued a weapon?

edit on 13-6-2014 by Loveaduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
People seem to want me to give my guns up, or make it more of a hassle to get any more for sure. If I was still in NY, NY would want me to give up 3 of my scary "assault rifles", as they redifined the definition of scary "assault rifles" yet again. I was falsely arrested and aquitted for rape before, if some people had their way, I would have my rights revoked just for that.

Define mentally ill, the definition keeps changing, and more and more things are classified as "mental disorders". When I was a kid, the whole ADD BS was just gaining popularity, and if my parents were idiots, I would have been put on ridilin. Thankfully they decided to get a real professional opinion, rather than listen to the "professional" school head shrinker. Could my "disorder" of "depression" that was diagnosed through a GP who is a moron and put me on SSNRI be considered "mentally ill" enough someday soon to be denied my right to self defense with the best tools available?

I think the only people that should not be able to have one is a person that used a gun in commission of a felony. Maybe after 5 years taking a course to renew their rights.
I personally know no one that fits that description.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

You make some good points and I agree a mental illness diagnoses can be hard to decipher and some people might fit a mental illness description but still be totally capable with a weapon.

How about someone with a restraining order against them?

edit on 13-6-2014 by Loveaduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Restraining orders are not exactly cut and dry. During my false accusation I had one on me. I would say only if the restraining order was taken out due to a proven brandishing of a gun against the complainant to be safe.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

That's what I was thinking.
And if someone is exonerated or falsely accused, they should be able to carry a gun again, if that right was removed. Maybe parents who have kids with psychological problems can find a way to somehow guarantee their crazy kid is not going to get his hands on their legal weapons. Whether this is through additional insurance or stashing the guns somewhere else. People getting their hands on someone elses legal guns is as much of a problem as people with illegal ones. I don't want to take your guns...even the big scary assault rifles, but there are people out there who have to be kept away from them.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I don't mean to sound completely unreasonable, but it is really an ego thing I guess. I am prettymuch harmless unless you mess with my family, that is war to me. I am just sick of being treated as if I am a criminal, and having to prove otherwise to have my rights. Having to kiss ass and prove I have a need to get a CCW is BS. The state should have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I cannot handle the responsibility to refuse me, with clear reasons. I am not a huge fans of handguns to be honest, I was always better with long guns. But why should I have to prove myself, that is guilty until proven innocent.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Maybe if the media and the government would stop reenforcing the notion that the Second Amendment is in peril, people wouldn't believe it.

If I look out my window in the middle of the night and see hundreds of shady looking characters circling in the parking lot and they're all eyeballing my property, it's not going to be very hard to convince me I have something to worry about.

Stop harassing gun owners and stop trying to pass oppressive gun laws and maybe they'll stop worrying and wondering why you're doing it.
edit on 15-6-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
30 years ago i had no problems with people stealing stuff from the property i lived on.
now everything has to be locked up all the time.

The biggest problem where i live is illegals that have no concept of property rights and walk onto your property and steal anything not locked down.

The last one i caught was a teen that gave me the old " no habla ingles" and it worked with the cops.
I talked to some of the teens in the neighborhood that went to school with this thief and they told me he speaks good english.
With all the illegals crossing the border this is likely to become a very big problem.

I want to be known to criminals as the crazy guy you don't want to be caught by even if it takes pointing a mean looking black rifle at them.

How many criminals with handguns will go up against someone with a AR15.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
There is a pacifist talking-point that "no object you own is worth someone's life."

But the fact is, your life may actually be worth that little to a criminal. That's why they take weapons to a burglary.

Police departments constantly flirt with the "we no longer engage in high-speed chases" stance. The problem is that it teaches criminals that they can get away with murder, just by running.

Saying you would never shoot someone to defend your property is basically deciding there's a way that criminals can get away with preying on you. Eventually, they will figure it out, and start stealing from you, because you are a safe target.

All of the gun-control advocates I've known have been wealthy people who lived in nice neighborhoods. It wasn't their stuff that was getting stolen.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
"Where is the prince who can so afford to cover the ground with troops that 10,000 men , decending from the clouds, may not, in a great many places, wreak a great deal of havoc, before a force of suffecient size might be assembled to repell them?"
Benjamin Franklin.
"Ben" saw the creation of the Airborne Divisions some 100 + years before powered flight. "where be thy jests and jibes now ?"

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join