It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook app update to use microphone. Another step to 1984?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Really? Is this another 1984 thing?
Facebook is going to update their iOS and Android app for music and TV-show recognition. (Shazam-like feature)

The new software, which will be available via an updated App Store app on iPhone and a Google Play app on Android, will work in tandem with your smartphone hardware’s microphone. Facebook is said to be integrating the feature so Facebook users can more easily share what music they are listening to or what TV show they are currently watching to their Timelines.

What do you think about this?
Source: 9to5mac.com...
Official Facebook announcement: newsroom.fb.com...

Meanwhile:
In iOS 8, Apple will unveil a new Siri feature in partnership with Shazam to identify songs playing in the background.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
no computer or whatever should have a built in mic, period, but new computers will now be including new built in mics for "convenience.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrose

I'm honestly not sure it will work - tons of girls I talk to refuse to talk on the phone or use video chat, some kind of superstition, they only like texting - so while Facebook instant chat was successful, I think they will shy from microphone time -

I mean, we still have phones these days but people refuse to use them and would rather text. Same thing.
edit on 25amSun, 25 May 2014 05:57:26 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I know you probably won't believe this, for I have no proof. Facebook is a choice. So no, not 1984.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
are we surprised?

Is it hard to deactivate your account and never type in facebook.com again?

let the sheeple fall.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shakawkaw
I know you probably won't believe this, for I have no proof. Facebook is a choice. So no, not 1984.

Actually, choice is merely an illusion between those in power and those without...You have no choice.
By using Facebook you only make it easier for them. So then, they can "spy" on you effortlessly.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: yeahsurexxx
are we surprised?

let the sheeple fall.

Yeah, it's strange that the vast majority of people would prefer being a slave rather than going "off the grid" .. sometimes I do think about erasing all the accounts at social websites, then the sheeple factor prevails and I keep on using 'em.

I feel like I'm not strong enough or so. Frankly, I admit it and it makes me feel bad.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Also did you know that on your smart phone that the same microphone that can be used to get the name of a song can also be used to talk to another person. Only now it is easier for the NWO to find out your watching the Walking Dead by you pushing a button instead of you typing it in. 1984 is here!!!! Run!!! Run!!!!!

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad
You hate me, don't ya?
*sigh*

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Wait... THAT'S why it keeps prompting me to update to the faster something or another?! I swear, just like cigarettes, I'm about to give up Facebook...

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu
What do you mean by faster something?
There is an impending update described above.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Ahhh hell I just got around to taping my webcam's lens.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
A faster version... An update. So far, I've just been being lazy and saying cancel or skip, or what not...

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Honestly.... who the heck would wanna spy on you, me or anyone we might know?

Are we that important?

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

You haven't read 1984, have you?
But still, if you think that they spy only on "important, powerful, evil people"...you are just being naïve.
It doesn't work like this. We already know they are stalking and spying on everyone, whether we want it or not.

The question therefore is, do we want to make it even easier for them?
edit on 25-5-2014 by Necrose because:

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

Are we that important?

Because anybody caught listening to Jutin Bieber will be deported.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Ummm I thought the American spy agency the NSA basicaly proved to the world we already live in that Orwellian nightmare on account of the fact it was proven they spy on EVERYONE.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

So what...

do you have anything to hide?

i know i dont!

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Glad I dumped it when I did. FB's a choice to use, yes, but that kind of listening, no matter the use, is open for abuse. I foresee blackmail accusations spiking in the near future.

originally posted by: yeahsurexxx
are we surprised?

let the sheeple fall.

Deactivating it is fairly easy, it's the temptation to log in again afterward that is hard. It's really like a withdrawal period, and it can be a little rough for a few weeks if you're the social butterfly type. I deleted mine entirely back around New Year's, that in & of itself was easy-peasy and I never looked back (introvert personality) What really surprised me and disappointed me greatly is that out of a small & close-knit list of about 50 friends (not including family) Only 3 have emailed me off site since I junked my account, and out of those 3, only 1 keeps in touch nearly 6 months later. It was immensely disappointing, and that was truly the hardest part of getting rid of the account for me -- seeing who my friends really were post-FB. If you want to go through with getting rid of your account and need some moral support, feel free to PM me

Edit: Ha, upon re-reading, I think I completely misunderstood your question there. But the offer still stands to anyone else who needs any moral support if they close their FB accounts.
edit on 5/25/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

Are we that important?

Who would want to spy? The government (not the one we see, the one hidden)
Why you? You are on ATS, yes you will be monitored to make sure you are not a threat. Depending on what else you do online, it will impact how much you are monitored.

I've long since come to terms with the fact that I'm screwed whether I go on facebook or not so I stay on because I have a very large extended family on my Dad's side. I don't shy around what I post either, I post stuff from Occupy Wall St & some articles from ATS as well. If they want to watch me, they can see me waving my middle finger at them. (not literally :p )

top topics

<<   2 >>

join