It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future of Western Civ.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
As I have aged, much of my youthful enthusiasm for our collective future has just frittered away. I deal with it pretty well but every now and then I get hit with a sucker punch that just catches me blindside with the fruits of our historical development. The one that caught me last night I almost posted to the Jokes Forum, but the pathos, the utter mind boggling rot of it insisted I post it somewhere else and this is where I shall.

Just one more TV Commercial. Some stupid doggie treat promo. One of the ones where the dog goes Bacon bacon bacon. They are all bad enough but the latest twist by our Madison Avenue Charlatans has just, just frizzed my old brain.

They have invented a new dispenser for the doggie treats. This one has a propelling gizmo in the lid which when activated or something, shoots the doggie treat into the air for the dog to catch. I suppose the next development will have the little treats singing out "Catch Me if You Can" as they fly through the air.

Meanwhile, in other parts of the world..........................................

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Don't let it be the doggie treats that do you in.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

western civilization future?

a. return to the ways that worked (prejudice, stomp everyone else, great opportunity for it OWN people)
OR
b. continue to fall (opportunity for non western people, equality, etc)

I choose A. sad but true.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry

a. return to the ways that worked (prejudice, stomp everyone else, great opportunity for it OWN people)
OR

Sadly, I am leaning your way as we'll.

It seems the real word is like the highlander, "there can be only one"

Though maybe it is just growing pains we are feeling as we all come together, now if only the Mideast and even worse off Africa could just stop being so effing retarded all the tie about everything, the transition wouldn't be so bad.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Many of the central tenets of Western civilization--positivism, state-capitalism, and the separation of man from nature, to name a few--have now permeated the entire planet.

It isn't just "western" anymore. The collapse of it will necessarily be global in nature, which (I think) has the potential to be one of the best things ever to befall the human race.

Whatever value in such an event there may be depends on what we do with ourselves afterwards.

And "America: Take Two" is not the answer.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

This one has a propelling gizmo in the lid which when activated or something, shoots the doggie treat into the air for the dog to catch.

Is it "bark" activated? That should drive the neighbors nuts during the day.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
That's the funny thing about civilizations. They rise. They fall. They get a little weird toward the end.

Once upon a time, Iraq was the scientific center of the known world until the Islamic movement outlawed higher learning.
Once upon a time, the Roman Empire conquered most of the known world until they collapsed.
Once upon a time, the British Empire explored and claimed half of the planet until the competition got too fierce.

Obviously, things change.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: allenidaho

Our current Administration is ramping up their efforts of anti colonialism, anti westernization. The pendulum always seems to swing harshly in both directions, and yet we have only begun to make the turn. Change is what he promised. Change is what we are being force fed. The vacuum of the reversal is lagging behind and there are still those that have not sensed the Great Suck that is to come.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: oblvion

originally posted by: HanzHenry

OR

Though maybe it is just growing pains we are feeling as we all come together, now if only the Mideast and even worse off Africa could just stop being so effing retarded all the tie about everything, the transition wouldn't be so bad.

thousands of years of growing pains I guess..
the mideast and africa has been the way it is now forever. Genetic predisposition. Those with certain behaviors have passed on their genes more often. This isn't ALL about race. More about what each culture valued and those with certain skills passed theirs on to a larger % of the people.

There is no transition. It is just a shifting of power. I would rather annihilate the primitive cultures before assimilate or even have them living near me. I dont like them, and that is in my primal nature. AND the flipside is they dont like me. Noone feels more animosity around the world on microcosm than white guys.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: oblvion

Watch the first 5 minutes of the movie The gods must be crazy. Then ask yourself want culture is insane.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boscov
a reply to: allenidaho

Our current Administration is ramping up their efforts of anti colonialism, anti westernization. The pendulum always seems to swing harshly in both directions, and yet we have only begun to make the turn. Change is what he promised. Change is what we are being force fed. The vacuum of the reversal is lagging behind and there are still those that have not sensed the Great Suck that is to come.

To me, flying doggie treats are an emblem of the Big Mind Suck as we slide down the cascading chute of frivolity.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

This one has a propelling gizmo in the lid which when activated or something, shoots the doggie treat into the air for the dog to catch.

Is it "bark" activated? That should drive the neighbors nuts during the day.

Right. Bark activated. Just put it on the floor or counter and let the dogs treat themselves. Why not?

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

No, Bybots, not the doggie treats. But you know what might? The simple fact that a modest little rant about a stupid doggie treat as a symbol of a culture's failure has, within a matter of moments developed a decidedly "pro western", "anti third world" "genetic superiority" trend. Stunning.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
There's a tv commercial in the UK , for a product you plug into your wall, that releases a scent that is meant chill your cat out and make the cat more family friendly. Heaven help us.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Guessing you've never been outside your comfort zone.

Crap is sold all over the modern world...not just in the 'western' world.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Perhaps your title is a tad misleading? Sure, you want to discuss Western Civ capatalist marketing, where dogs are almost equal to people, man's best friend and all. The commercials are the Western Civ propaganda, the American Dream, house, wife, 2 kids, a family pet, 2 cars, vacays, and retirement, ohhhhh and don't forget the clothes, dining, gold, diamonds, boats, atvs, liquor, tvs, smart phones, appliances, etc. Did I leave anything out? Of course I did, too much crap, well...it isnt all crap, but it is too much. So, back to my point about your amazement of how this thread got spun....it is all in the title and what encompasses and drives those commercials, pure capitalism and The American Dreamscape. A lucid nightmare of living to buy and sell.

edit on 25-5-2014 by Boscov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I took a look over the thread several times to try and ferret out the sentiments that you mentioned.

Sure, I see it in one or two posts.

Makes me queezier than the dog-treat launcher.

edit on 25-5-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscov

I think you hit it Bos. It was in the title. As I think you understood my original sentiments I was not just moaning over the decay in western culture but, one may surmise, human cultures in general, but not being of other cultures myself I am reluctant to speak about their decay as what I may perceive as decay may just be cultural differences. So I limited my title to West Civ.

Apparently a few posters to whom western civ IS civilization just jumped on with out reading the OP. Funny stuff, really but as you can understand by my OP, for me it is just one more little sad demonstration of western cultural malaise.

And thanks for pointing that out, about the title.

Yours

top topics

join