It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Firefox Forces First Microsoft Market Share Drop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
After continuous market growth over at least 6 years, Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser took a backwards step with the non-beta release of Mozilla's open-source Firefox browser. In June, IE useage was estimated at 95.5% of all internet users. Five months later, after the release of Firefox 1.0, IE had dropped to a low of 90.8% of internet users.

www.computerworld.com
Statistics released by WebSideStory Inc., a Web analytics software vendor that tracks browser usage, showed that last Monday, 92.5% of the users hitting the thousands of U.S.-based Web sites it monitors were running Internet Explorer. Only 3.7% were using Firefox, according to WebSideStory.

But the reason Firefox is creating such a stir is that its emergence coincided with the first downward turn in Internet Explorer's market share since WebSideStory began keeping browser statistics in 1998, said Geoff Johnston, an analyst at the San Diego-based firm.

Johnston said the gradual drop in IE usage began on June 4. That day, IE accounted for 95.5% of users and the various Mozilla and Netscape browsers had a combined total of 3.5%. Firefox wasn't tracked separately at that point, so its usage would have been included in the Mozilla/Netscape number.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Firefox has gained a wide fanbase due largely to its providing a more secure browsing experience. In addition to its lack of the security holes rife in Microsoft's browser, Firefox also prevents popup ads and spyware downloads. Internet users seeking a safer trip on the web are flocking to Mozilla's offering, dowloading nearly 6 million copies of Firefox 1.0 since its release.

Microsoft still dominates in the corporate environment, but home users are chipping away at IE's market share by switching to Firefox. It's no surprise, given the increased awareness of viruses that target Microsoft security holes.

Related News Links:

www.pcworld.com
www.webpronews.com

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
i'm not surprised. i just switched to firefox a week ago. Firefox is just so much better than IE in so many ways. of course there are a few sites that require IE but that is the only con that i can see.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I personally have been enjoying Firefox for awhile. But the more that Firefox makes news, the sooner it may be hit by hackers and spy ware ect.... Enjoy it while you can.

I have 10 other browsers on reserve lol.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles
I personally have been enjoying Firefox for awhile. But the more that Firefox makes news, the sooner it may be hit by hackers and spy ware ect.... Enjoy it while you can.

exactly! more people with it = more reasons to write spyware for it

I've been using firefox for 3 months now and I must say it is eons ahead of IE. My spyware removal apps have had a lot less work to do since I switched

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
More power to Firefox. I use a Mac (Safari), but my father who is a computer(pc) nut reckons
Firefox is fantastic. He also says it's a lot more secure plus it has some great features.

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
shh, this is supposed to be secret.

And people don't give hackers any ideas.

Surf

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I started using Firebird almost a year ago, and now I use Firefox almost exclusively. The only time I really need IE is for Microsoft Updates. After using a tabbed interface and the built-in power to block advertising banners, popups, etc., I can't imagine browsing without it.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Does anyone know if Firefox is inherently more secure than IE, or is it simply a case of not (yet) being on the hacker's radar scopes?

I do computer network defense for a living, and opinions within our community vary; I personally think Microsoft gets a bad rap on the security front...the number of security "holes" are directly related to the level of effort directed at finding them.

Having said that, I still use Firefox 99% of the time, as it's simply a better browser.

top topics

join