It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To The Fatty Running On The Track This Afternoon: I Really Hope You Read This.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

I loved that one when I read it. I am glad you brought it here to ATS.

It rocks on so many levels.

have a good one.

Hold it down.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: thedeadtruth

I agree about your assessment of crossfit. That being said, sorry if I come out sounding butthurt in this thread. But I've just been on the receiving end of "wow...looks can be deceptive...I would have never thought a guy built like you could do that." thing a bunch of times.

To me the real world especially in appearances is counter intuitive to what really happens. People get messed up ideas of health in this culture.

Although I agree with what you said. "If you look like you are killing your self, you probably are."

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I used to be fat. Now i am, well....still fat.
But 200lbs less (minus the 30 or so i put back on...8 months at the current weight but i don't feel as good).

But what ever happened to judging people based on the content of their character? When we talk about race, or gender, or any other "classification", we wouldn't dare create zero sum standards. Do people equate body fat to moral character?

Great OP. Even though some posters are correct in the assessment of the physical aspects of jogging vs low impact workout. I lost my 200lbs without doing anything other than going to work behind a desk.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: thedeadtruth
a reply to: ParasuvO

"Anything that makes you sweat causes weight loss for most people. "

Sorry Myth. Sweating is linked to body temperate. It has nothing to do with burning fat or increased metabolism.

How does the body generate heat?

I can link articles as well.

Long Distance Running

I am not saying I won't listen to what you have to say, just that you need to prove it.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

" sorry if I come out sounding butthurt in this thread. "

Being angry can be a good thing. It can make you speak out. It can create passion. Anger has a bad rap due to undisciplined individuals.

Kind of like Cross-Fit ( aka ... Angry-Fit .... see what I did there . Never mind. Ill go back to the mortuary. ...)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: VekTorVik

Do not make this into a " if an academic says its true, it must be " argument. ( I know to many academics ).

Instead do your own research.....

The Persistence hunting myth....

... was only done on 2 locations globally. You need the right kind of surface, water sources, and pray. And it was not done by one person. It was done in groups of 3 people. Jogging slowly in a triangle formation forcing the animal to zig zag. Sometimes carrying a tool to make a loud noise. Making the animal cover a massive distance while we shuffled on.

No clock. No speed. Soft dirt or sand......

The fact is. Jogging slowly is something we as humans can develop. But it is not a natural inclination.

Which is why children, if left to their own devices, do not do it. And if as adults we try to develop it, it is hard to keep.

Now if .... humans had continued on mass to hunt like this globally. Then yes the argument could be made. But the fact is, we didn't.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Why so much time and effort has been put into the jogging / cardio myth.

2 main reasons....

(1) Marketers get to sell clothing. Remember brands like Nike were founded on the jogging fad.

(2) Academics found cardio papers easy to get peer reviewed and published. Essentially relying on CO2 readouts and treadmill / bikes to get data. It is a guaranteed way of getting published.

Note: No-one runs or does cardio in hot climates. And it is NOT traditional exercise. ( Unless someone has changed the meaning of "traditional" )

Ask all the old people you know. All the people in their 80s and 90s. They have zero reason to lie.....

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: thedeadtruth

Oh no, look out, we got a real bad ass over here... I just have to say it, you are coming off too aggressive and annoying in this topic. Ok we get it, you think you are the best health expert to ever exist. Now get over yourself.

So what were you saying about jogging and ignorance? Anything that causes your body to use energy is effective exercise. Jogging included. Why are you so scared of injury? People heal. Jogging requires more energy than walking. And jogging is less energy and pain than sprinting.

Sure your body learns how to do it more efficiently over time, making it less effective. That is why you need to switch it up. Jog one day, ride a bike another day, etc.

I don't see what all the fuss is you are crying about.

You make exercise equipment? Wow you are so special. It's so difficult to make a device that makes you do a repetitive motion over and over, and label it "exercise equipment". lol
edit on 22-5-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

Maybe you find overweight people being given advice by idiots amusing.

I don't.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
And I am on this site to help deny and fight ignorance.

Not to support it because I cant be bothered thinking for myself. Which is the very definition of being lazy.

The fact that most people are brainwashed so effectively by marketers about "exercise" that if you ask them to name a few exercise disciplines. They can only name a few. And are usually just slight variations of the other...

Eg.... jogging , cycling , swimming etc......

We can not fight obesity with limited imaginations and knowledge. Ignorance is not bliss,.

And even worse. It can stop people even trying to help themselves.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

I'm a mid-distance runner and have respect for people of all ages and shapes who get their asses out to run (or jog) on treadmills, trails or roads. Chase the burn and the runner's high

Same goes for the gym, most mornings I see a lady in her late 60s doing stomach crunches. Another guy in his late-50s has dropped several stone this year by kettle-bell workouts, diet change and treadmill. Then there are those in their 20s probably yearning to trim a few inches for the beaches this summer.

Respect to all of them for skipping the lie-ins and 'doing something today their future selves will thank for them for.'

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

On the OP topic.... and the attached photo

The letter was not only condescending. But ignorant of how much damage even carrying an extra 10kg can do to joints. And yes, even the heart.

Well meaning. But more than likely written by a person who has never been overweight.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

On the OP topic.... and the attached photo

The letter was not only condescending. But ignorant of how much damage even carrying an extra 10kg can do to joints. And yes, even the heart.

Well meaning. But more than likely written by a person who has never been overweight.

So is it time or intensity needed to lose weight for one can not do both...

How does a moderate heart rate increase (jogging) do damage where a very large increase (sprinting) does not?

From my observation, when a person reaches 15 miles per week they lose weight no matter what and need in most cases to increase calories to stop the weight loss...

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Nice. I live in the Sonoran desert. In the summer I love to go out and jog 10 kilometers every night. And it's usually in 35-45 degree (C) weather. When it's 45, sometimes my heart just feels like it's gonna burn up.

edit on 23-5-2014 by iSomeone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

"So is it time or intensity needed to lose weight "

Neither. Climbing is a perfect example of how most people should exercise.

Slow.
Methodical.
Low to even heart rate.
Low impact on joints.
No sweating preferred.
Only climb to your own ability.
All primary fat burning muscles used.

Move slowly. Hold. Rest. Repeat......Not a race.

The good thing about climbing is it relies mainly on eccentric contractions. Which cover a wider range of muscle fibers than some other form of exercise. All red and white cells are used.

And animal reactions we are all born with are utilized. Giving everyone a good chance of results. ( some forms of exercise are genetically biased )

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

"How does a moderate heart rate increase (jogging) do damage where a very large increase (sprinting) does not? "

In theory it should not. But autopsies show abnormal scarring in long distance runners hearts.

Our only theory was as people get fitter. Instead of getting better at running as a discipline eg... start to run on sand, vary the route etc... . They get OCD and just go further and further. Not understanding that the body gets so economical it stops burning fat, and just gets dehydrated + lacking in electrolytes.

Both of these things strain the heart to supply itself with blood.

The thing is most people believe the heart burns fat. But it does not. It is in fact one of the most economical muscles in the body. Designed to run on almost nothing.

Which is why sticking a pacemaker in someone and winding it up does nothing for weight loss.

The disconnect in logic + marketing is the heart rate increases normally as a side effect of using larger muscles to exhaustion. Like the legs or arms.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Just a thought....

The first Man to run the marathon ( running from Marathon to Athens )

Died straight after.

It was not put in the Olympics until centuries later when modern day thinking "event organizers" decided they needed a spectator sport.

And long distance running was always done on sand or ash.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Funny you should say something like this on ATS.

The Jogging fad is marketing over science. The feel good factor over critical thinking.

This post is an advert for ignorance.

You sir, are running out of tin foil. It's not like being health has anything to do with critical thinking - with the exception of 'brain foods' in which case the foods will HELP with critical thinking process. Jogging isn't harmful to joints any more than walking on sand (as you mention in a prior post also) GTFO. Oh how I wish ATS had a middle finger emote.
edit on 23-5-2014 by 0bservant because: I'm ill-it-er-it.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: 0bservant

" It's not like being health has anything to do with critical thinking " -

I agree, for those who do not even know what kind of animal they are . They are doomed to take silly advice. Critical thinking would be their only defense.

But alas it is not very a common trait. Entire religions rely on this fact.

Just fun Forrest. RUN.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Thank you for that. You have restored some of my faith in humanity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join