It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police arresting fast-food workers and their supporters outside McDonald's headquarters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Just received this in my inbox from a friend in Illinois, Looks like McDonalds is at it again.
Im wondering if there were this many police brought in for Operation American Spring, which called for the overthrow of the government?

www.wsvn.com...

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: trig_grl
If they would cut the executive pay packages in half, maybe they would be able to pay these workers a livable wage. How much do these executives really need? Some of these executive salaries and packages are ridiculous. Without the little guy serving up the hamburgers and keeping their stores running, McDonald's is nothing.

When are corporations going to start having some heart and start valuing their workers? They don't give their workers any credit for helping them be successful.

+6 more 
posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I'm going to get burned for this, no one likes cold hard truth, but if your working at McDonald's, you are in a entry level job.

If you want better wages get a better job.

I know,I know, but the rich people are keeping them from getting an education, and leaving them to poor to find better jobs.

I'm so sick of hearing about corporate greed, if you don't like your life change it.

+13 more 
posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: terriblyvexed

I'm so sick of hearing about corporate greed, if you don't like your life change it.

I love my life, I am financially secure but I detest corporate greed and the corruption it engenders.

economyincrisis.org...

consortiumnews.com...

I'm so sick of people parroting back Rush Limbaugh and not thinking for themselves.

edit on 21-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I'm going to get burned for this, no one likes cold hard truth, but if your working at McDonald's, you are in a entry level job.

I know,I know, but the rich people are keeping them from getting an education, and leaving them to poor to find better jobs.

I'm tired of sanctimonious people telling low paid workers to "change their lives." There are only so many jobs and there is and has been for decades, a steady decline in the number of those jobs that pay a living wage. What exactly about themselves are people supposed to change?
edit on 2014-5-21 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Rush sucks.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

This times 10! The corporate greed people will be by shortly to tell you that your wrong, even though most fast food chains are franchises. If you are a business owner and you can't pay your employees what they want you are now an evil corporate stooge in this day and age.

God forbid anyone work their tail off and open a business to make a profit these days. You will be branded if you do, you have been warned.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If they end up getting 15.00 an hour, I will lay off my employees, shut down my shop and go flip burgers!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I'm a low payed worker, but i do a hell of a lot better than minimum wage.

I drive a truck, I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The trucking industry, is well over a million drivers short, it's takes no time at all to get a CDL.

Also if you use a tech college the government will pay most of the cost for school.

It is super easy to get a trucking job, and get a very decent pay. Try it yourself go online, and put in some applications for truck driving, just say you have a CDL if you don't, within one to two hours, you'll have recruiters calling you from everyone of them.

they'll offer all kinds of benefits, and sign on bonuses, competing for you.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

It's unbelievable the amount of entitlement in this country.

If someone makes it, then it's only fair they share the wealth.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

I'll definitely be looking into a career change.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
If you do a job that takes minimal skills and minimal education you don't deserve to demand higher wages. There's a reason why people in these industries are making minimum wage, it's because it takes no skill and practically anyone can do the job. Knowing that there are loads of people looking for work out there, there's no reason to pay someone $15 per hour to do a job that someone else is happy to take minimum wage to do.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
People aren't generally taught this in school, at least not where I'm from, but there were a lot of folks that suffered massive injuries, mass arrests, and were even killed to give us the basic workers rights that we have now.

If we're going to do this, if we're really going to start this again, then people have got to be prepared for that to happen again. They've got to be ready to be maced and met with attack dogs and fire hoses going full blast like the civil rights protesters were, they've got to be prepped to be shot with beanbags, rubber bullets, and tear gassed like the anti-Vietnam folks.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
A fast food restaurant business model is to hire staff at a wage that supports demand. Fast food workers in some areas make well over minimum wage, others struggle to pay their staff minimum wage and turn a profit. These business were built on cheap, unskilled labor who worked part time while attending school or as a person's second job. Fast Food employees were usually entry level staff who were looking for their first job. Over the past decade the job market changed and individuals found themselves making careers out of working at McDonalds. Retirees were forced to return to the workforce and jobs became scarce.

I see why these people are fighting for higher wages, a person cannot live on minimum wage. However, but the business model of these business cannot support the wages being proposed. There are enough people in the workforce to replace these people willing to work at lower rates. A company is in business to turn a profit. People like to demonize business that make a lot of money and always feel they are entitled to a piece of the pie. Fast food restaurants providing entry level jobs is not going to be able to remain competitive and profitable if it is forced to pay skilled level wages for these positions. They will point at the CEO making $9.5 million a year and believe that money should be distributed to the employees. However, $9.5 million distributed over thousands of employees still is not going to make up the money they believe they are entitled to working at these jobs. These employees are going to have to do what all of us have done and use these jobs as launch pads to finding a career that will support them and their families.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: trig_grl
If they would cut the executive pay packages in half, maybe they would be able to pay these workers a livable wage

A job at McDonalds or any other fast-food joint is not meant to be a "livable wage". These jobs are for high school or college kids to help them earn money while they are going to SCHOOL to become professionals and fill the kinds of jobs that pay a LIVABLE WAGE.

Liberals seem to think that it is just fine for all their minority/poor/drug user constituents to be able to drop out of high school, have a bunch of kids before they are 21, buy all the drugs they want and still be ENTITLED to the same pay that someone who put themselves through college gets. Because ya know, this is America.

Sorry, doesn't work like that. You want a livable wage? Put down the weed, close your legs, open a book. Get some job skills and make yourself valuable to someone. Dropping a basket of fries or screwing up a hamburger order takes nothing more than short-term memory and simple motor skills, and everyone is pretty much born with those.

edit on 21-5-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: warpig69

Totally agree. Unfortunately a lot of people with college degrees and good jobs have had to work at McDs to make ends meet, but even those people would agree that those jobs should not pay $20 an hour.

If these people screaming about the low pay at McDs want to do something about it they can -- STOP VOTING FOR LIBERAL DEMOCRATS. Democrats historically raise taxes through the roof and hinder business, and cause unemployment. What happens when there is a glut of workers? Wages go down. But I think logic is totally lost on those people anyway.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

In that case the business owners should only get entry level profits! Right?

Sorry dude, but you're wrong! Anyone who goes to work should expect at minimum a living wage.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Sorry dude, but you're wrong! Anyone who goes to work should expect at minimum a living wage.

No, because the owner takes all the risk and has put out all the capital. Not really an apples to apples comparison...

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

No, because the owner takes all the risk and has put out all the capital. Not really an apples to apples comparison...

That could be said for almost any business!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

That could be said for almost any business!

And in most all businesses the owner takes the lions share of the profits. It's because they are risking everything. They are also putting out the money to run this company taking all the risk, especially knowing how often businesses close nowadays..
edit on 21-5-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join