It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Smart Gun' maker patented remote kill switch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Here's a point for the conspiracy theorists who called it:

Armatix GmbH - makers of the iP1 “smart gun” – filed a patent application that included a remote kill switch for the firearm.
TTAG

Text of Patent

Preferably, the inventive device is designed such that the device or the activated identification medium authenticated in response to a signal transmitted from a remote station to the device wake-up and request signal, whereupon the remote station a logical and / or physical access or access to one and allows or prevents a target device . . .

Preferably, the apparatus of the invention can be controlled remotely, for example via satellite and can send information to a satellite.

Not just within close range but by satellite!

So here it is. Proof of the "the government could turn your gun off" theory.

NJ is the first state to pass a law mandating these guns. How long before others follow? The feds could even shred the GCA and NFA and say machineguns for everyone but they have to be 'smart' machineguns so we can just render them inactive from space.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

We all knew that was going to happen sooner rather than later.

But the real question is why would anyone...shell out $1,700 bucks for a pocket ten shot .22lr ????

For that kind of money I can walk out of a gun store right now with a pair of matching 1911 .45 complete with shoulder rig spare mag's and I don't have to worry bout no kill switches!

S&F as always...

edit on 21-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

But the real question is why would anyone...shell out $1,700 bucks for a pocket ten shot .22lr ????

I can only think of two reasons:

1)wealthy eccentric collector just wants the first 'smart gun'
2)government mandates 'smart gun' or no gun

There is nothing at all about this thing that would make it a seller in a typical market.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

My eyes have a headache from reading that patent quote...school sucked for that writer huh?

So I read the rest of the patent and its main thrust is a weapon that can't be used by anyone else apart from the owner. Transponders, wi-fi and clever biometrics communicate with each other to allow the registered firearm owner to pull the trigger.

The first thing that crossed my mind was Judge Dredd's 'Lawgiver' weapon.

Some of the pro-gun lobbyists might support this technology as it could be used to safely arm school staff. The man of the house could leave his arsenal close to hand knowing that nobody else (wife, kids, intruders) could use them. They'd have little or no resale value on the black market as they'd be 'bricked' without the transponders and biometrics.

On the other hand, there's an *estimated* ~billion firearms (way more imho) in circulation worldwide so black market economies wouldn't care and free-market economies would likely opt for cheaper weapons - minus the tech.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

correct on both parts in nj once a smart gun is marketed it is the only legal gun allowed to be sold by state law hence why its being fought tooth and nail and gun collectors do like rarity

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

But the real question is why would anyone...shell out $1,700 bucks for a pocket ten shot .22lr ???? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

No gun guy would. But the gun grabbers can point to this gun as a simple no-nonsense safety idea, and when the gun guys say, "wait a second we have a few issues with this," they can bang us over the heads with "See the NRA/gun nuts don't even like safe guns!"

It's a talking point, it's a law makers stick that they can beat you with. I'm all for a safer gun, but how about we let Gun Guys decide what is a good idea... not people who don't like any guns in the first place.

V

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
3. Normal people, who think It's cool.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
As a gun smith i would say that so far there is no gun smart device that could not be by passed.

it would take going to electric primers in the ammo to make a true smart gun.
www.midwayusa.com...

impact primers systems can always be made to bypass the electronics of so called smart guns.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

That's not entirely true. The original author of that bill realized the implications and told the NRA that she was willing to repeal the bill if they dropped their opposition to 'smart guns'. They refused.

None of that excuses the death threats both the US reps for the guns manufacturer and gun store owners have been receiving for even selling the thing. Gun nuts really earn that moniker from time to time.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

I don't know the particulars, and I'm not a gunsmith. However I imagine it's a solenoid that when energized, pulls the safety pin and allows the hammer to fall. As you said, It wouldn't be terribly difficult to bypass this, But I imagine that if these firearms are ever mandated having one that was bypassed would fall under the 10 year/10k penalty.

I don't see these weapons serving as anything other than a novelty. Biometrics themselves tend to be finicky. And I'd hate to have to depend on a firearm like this with sweaty, dirty, or gloved hands.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Monger
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

That's not entirely true. The original author of that bill realized the implications and told the NRA that she was willing to repeal the bill if they dropped their opposition to 'smart guns'. They refused.

Really?

Gun advocacy groups, such as the National Rifle Association (NRA) and the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSA), have said they do not oppose smart gun technology, which they call "authorized user recognition" firearms.

"We do oppose any government mandate of this technology, however. The marketplace should decide," Mike Bazinet, a spokesman for the NSSA wrote in an email reply to Computerworld.
ComputerWorld

The NRA hasnt taken any position for or against 'smart' guns. Any opposition to the sale of smart guns is coming from the people who feel threatened by NJ asinine law.

That NJ law created the opposition. The NRA has nothing to do with it.

Sure, individuals have taken it upon themselves to fight the sale of the gun, because of NJ's law, and absolutely some of those people take it too far but that isnt the NRA. Unless the NRA is just a collection of individuals now? Funny how that works. The NRA can simultaneously be a giant corporate lobbying firm hellbent on murdering children for profit and a grass-roots organization of individuals. I guess it depends on what you need it to be when you need it to be to fit the narrative.

top topics

join