It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence Builds Tat E-Cigs Help People Quit Smoking...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Saw this article online and thought I would share!

As a health reporter, I hate covering flip-flopping studies like a March finding that electronic cigarettes don’t help smokers quit and a new British study finding that they do. Here’s the simple explanation for the conflicting findings: The first study that found e-cigarettes were useless for quitting did not look specifically at those who were actually trying to stop smoking -- while the more recent study finding did.

It surveyed 5,863 smokers between 2009 and 2014 who had made a serious attempt to quit over the past year using either e-cigarettes — which burn nicotine in a cartridge that’s inhaled as a vapor — or over-the-counter cessation aids like nicotine patches, gum or lozenges, or nothing at all to help them quit. The study found that e-cigarette users were 60 percent more likely to have been successful in their quitting efforts compared to those in the other two groups; the researchers took into account income level, nicotine dependence, and other differences between those who used e-cigarettes and those who didn’t.

Boston Globe E Cig Article

Here's a link to the British study: Real World Effectiveness of E Cigs...

I just recently purchased an E Cig set up and was doing really good with not using analog cigs...but then Idk what happened!

I am taking the advice from some of the other ATS members who've quit by using an E Cig and am going to purchase a stronger nicotine level liquid...I'm pretty sure that is what's making it difficult. My goal is to be analog cig free within 30 or so days.

Anyhow, this study gives me hope! I SO WANT TO QUIT SMOKING!

Here's a link to the US study as well: JAMA Study on E Cigs

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
In my opinion, all you have to do is ask someone who vapes...

It worked for me(since aug 2nd), and lots of my friends have switched as well.

Stay away from the gas station/tobacco store crap... go to a vape shop or online vape shop.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

I've thought about trying these things to help me quit too. I'm worried that they are still so new that there isn't much research yet on their safety. (Yes, I know, regular cigarettes are proven terrible for me. I know it doesn't really make sense to smoke and be afraid of this new seemingly harmless device! I fear change!)

I also worry that I would be trading one vice for another... have any of the ATS members used it to quit smoking cigarettes, and then taken the next step and quit vaping too? I'd be interested in hearing how difficult that transition would be in comparison to just quitting the cigs in the first place! It seems like you'd end up quitting TWICE, instead of just once in the first place.

edit on 21-5-2014 by MojaveBurning because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

I have broken the nicotine habit with the e-cig. I have not broken the hand to mouth habit yet. I am not ready to give that up. Hope that helps.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

The higher quality vaping sets use liquid and produce smoke from a heating element.

The liquids have different levels of nicotine and that's what makes e-cigs an easy way to either cut down or quit regular cigs. Keep lowering the nic level and you can quit entirely if you want to.

The liquids are based with Vegetable Glycerine (VG) or Propylene Glycol (PG) or a mix.

Tons of flavors available.

All the regular cig poisons are not in the e-cigs.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: morder1

I went to a shop where they sell the set ups, the liquids, etc. I did try a gas station one a while ago and that was just garbage...

I've learned which liquids are produced here in the US and went with that brand and bought an adjustable vaper thingy (can go from 3.8 volts up to like 4.8, or something like that) that allows you to get more or less of a vape cloud (hope that made sense!).

Going over there later today to pick up another (stronger) bottle of liquid to mix with the one I have now and hopefully that'll help!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Any study they do that doesn't have participants using a MOD (modular) vaporizer, and juice with varying nicotine strength, is going to be skewed.

Modular "rigs" are vaporizers that come apart in different sections. So you tube (holding the nic juice) can be different sizes, the battery different sizes (varying vape time), the atomizer can have different resistance (strength and amount of the 'cloud' that's produced), and finally the actual strength of the nic juice (mg of nicotine per ml).

All these contributing factors play a role into how effective vaping is for some people. A 1-2 pack/day smoker is going to need a rig with at least a 3ml tube (so they are constantly not refilling it) and an atomizer with 2 Ohms of resistance, a large battery and 24-32mg/ml of nicotine strength.

If they puff on this, they will prob only have to fill their rig once a day (maybe twice for heavier smokers), with a decent sized battery, it will last all day as well. And they should be more content with this, than with cigarettes.

Now, if you take a heavy smoker and give them less than this, they are going to toss it and pick up their old pack, guaranteed.

Tobacco will do anything to discredit e-smokes. So there are plenty of tobacco backed "studies" or general BS reports floating around, but the truth is much too obvious to hide. Since I took up esmokes over a year ago I have converted about a dozen people I know, and not one of them is willing to go back to the dark side. The dark, disgusting, smell like and ashtray, cough up your lungs every morning, mouthfuls of flem and clogged sinuses dark side that is smoking.

edit on 21-5-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

I just recently purchased an E Cig set up and was doing really good with not using analog cigs...but then Idk what happened!

I am taking the advice from some of the other ATS members who've quit by using an E Cig and am going to purchase a stronger nicotine level liquid...I'm pretty sure that is what's making it difficult. My goal is to be analog cig free within 30 or so days.

Anyhow, this study gives me hope! I SO WANT TO QUIT SMOKING!

You need to concentrate on WHY you want to quit smoking.

Note - quitting smoking and quitting nicotine are two different things and does not necessarily have anything to do with each other.

I started using an e-cig over 3 years ago because I was a pack a day smoker for 22 years. I didn't want to die of harm from tobacco smoke related problems. I still use the e-cig though I have no desire to pick up a cigarette. I use it for a nicotine delivery device and yes, I have indeed quit smoking - I am now 100% a non smoker - even though I choose to still use nicotine. My nicotine strength is 24 mg, same as a Marlboro Red. I will happily enjoy this e-cig the rest of my life as a non smoker. Nicotine is a mild central nervous system stimulant and a vascular constrictor (can constrict blood vessels) - But so is Caffeine from coffee a mild central nervous system stimulant and a vascular constrictor. Nicone in itself is not cancer causing nor does it cause any more harm than that of a heavy coffee drinker. These are the facts.

I'm just letting you know not to confuse the two issues as to let them hinder your progress. For me, I didn't want the harm but I still wanted my favorite legal drug. E-cigs give that to me.

Nicotine isn't what we are addicted to in cigarettes. Nicotine in it's natural form is only mildly addictive. We get a chemical soup of hundreds of addictive substances when we smoke cigarettes, nicotine being only one of these - the Tobacco companies made nicotine a scapegoat because they did not want people to focus on the hundreds of other chemicals which are way more harmful than nicotine.

You said you did use the e-cig for a while with some success. This means to me, you most probably are still affected by not a physical addiction but a psychological addiction. It can take weeks to months to get this out of your behavior because normally long term smokers have this really ingrained deep.

I'd suggest making a list of all the reasons why you want to quit and post them in several rooms of the house where you can see it daily. If quitting nicotine use is one of those, thats great.. to each his own but remember the most important thing is you stay away from the Smoke itself because it is the smoke that kills you. (over 500 chemicals being burned,and the tar they produce)

Don't beat yourself up if you falter at times - it happens - just pick yourself up and get back on the e-cig - every puff of e-cig you use in trade off instead of cigarette smoke will be a puff closer to better health. On thing that helped me was to make sure I had no tobacco in the house and told all my friends they had to smoke outside. In time you may be able to handle being around the smoke and not be tempted, but it takes a while.

Best of Luck!
edit on 21-5-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

My father in law kicked the habit with the help of the e cig.

he bought a level of the liquid comparable to a normal cigarette.

A month or two later on he bought the next level down.

Then so on and so forth until he was on the non nicotine liquid.

Now he can't stand the stink of cigarettes and he's not smoking anymore.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I quit 3 years of cigs March 2013 by way of e cigarette.

I have a simple eGo C variable voltage battery with a Kanger Evo-D tank.

Vaping 50/50 veg. glycerin and propanediol, flavored to the tune of white grape and blueberry.

Low nicotine.

Tastes just right at 3.3 volts.

Btw, only if you vape above 4.0 volts will you begin inreasing levels of formaldehyde.

FYI, formaldahyde is found naturally in human blood at low levels, it outgasses off paint, and several other sources. Its just a CH20 chain. However, if you vape above 4v it can create cigarette levels at a high enough point, depening on the set up.

top topics

join