It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Annan 'Disappointed' Son Stole Oil-for-Food Money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The United Nations may have never faced such a scandal: the son of the Secretary-General received payments from a firm with a U.N. Iraqi oil-for-food contract. A scandal that many ignore or dismiss, yet it is a pain in the day to day lives of those who are in the top positions in the U.N.; a pain that will simply not go away. The allegations of corruption have been the source of speculation in the media and among many members of the U.N. Today Secretary-General Kofi Annan said he was "very disappointed and surprised" that his son had continued to receive payments until this February from a firm that had a contract with Iraq's Oil-for-Food program, a program that was meant to help the starving people of Iraq long before this latest war.

Fox News Full Article

UNITED NATIONS � Secretary-General Kofi Annan said Monday he was "very disappointed and surprised" that his son had continued to receive payments until this February from a firm that had a contract with Iraq's Oil-for-Food program, the subject of numerous corruption investigations.

Annan told reporters that he had been working on the understanding that payments to his son, Kojo Annan, from the Swiss-based firm Cotecna Inspection S.A. stopped in 1998 "and I had not expected that the relationship continued."

But on Friday, U.N. spokesman Fred Eckhard said Kojo Annan's lawyer had informed the independent panel appointed by the secretary-general to investigate allegations of corruption in the Oil-for-Food program that the younger Annan continued to receive monthly payments through February 2004.

The disclosure was the latest embarrassment for Annan and the United Nations over the humanitarian program which was instituted in December 1996 to help Iraqis cope with sanctions imposed after Saddam Hussein's 1990 invasion of Kuwait.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is not new news yet by the statement today from Kofi Annan that he was "very disappointed and surprised" should tell everyone who thinks, something.

"surprised".. as in he did not want to believe it?

"surprised" as in he had hope that it would all just go away?

Kofi Annan... I ask you.. Does the level of corruption in the UN oil for food program really suprise you?

Your own son was involved and after this many years you now say you are "very disappointed and surprised" ?

This scandal has and will do far more damage to the status and credibility of the United Nations than many are willing to believe or accept.

Can the UN and its current leadership be trusted with international funds ever again?

What is most shameful is this money was meant to help a mass of starving people.. a people starving in part as a result of sanctions imposed on their counrty by none other than the UN itself.

Related ATSNN Discussion:

U.N.: Annans Son Got Payments On Deal

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Kofi always appears to be on a Valium (10mg)high. He's very calm and i can see him saying "Im disappointed"- For him to say this he must be furious.
He's not responsible for his sons actions, though, is he?
'course he isnt.
What did Bush say when his daughters have broken the law?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Kofi always appears to be on a Valium (10mg)high. He's very calm and i can see him saying "Im disappointed"- For him to say this he must be furious.
He's not responsible for his sons actions, though, is he?
'course he isnt.

Unless of course you are the son of Secretary-General Kofi Annan who happens to have the top position in the United Nations, and you are guilty of taking money given in a United Nations contract meant to help the starving people of a nation who are in part starving as a result of sanctions imposed on them by the United Nationas itself.

Unlike Bush's daughters who were just having a little fun, Kofi Annan's son was involved in a scandal involving the body for which his father is the leader of.

Not quite the same is it?

Gazz

[edit on 29-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I think we should hold Bush Sr. responsible for his sons war crimes..

The only one who should be held accountable is the son.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Well we all know that he was in the deal Annan was part of it, and so was others.

He did not look outrage or in any kind of discomfort, he does look like he is in some type of antidepressant.

I wonder how long is going to take for him to be removed from his position.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Where does it say that Annan was in on the deal? Do we have proof of this? I'm not an Annan sympathiser but i havent informed myself well enough, i guess.
By the way, Clinton has dibbs for Kofis job.
This article states Kofi thought his son stopped doing this in 1998. Could it be the old man really didnt know? I'm not gullible but its all speculation.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by dgtempe]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Sorry I have to fix that,

Annan "may" have been part of it and "probably" was into it with his son.

And probably that is why our government wants to blame UN of corruption.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Kofi Annan... I ask you.. Does the level of corruption in the UN oil for food program really suprise you?

Your own son was involved and after this many years you now say you are "very disappointed and surprised" ?

This scandal has and will do far more damage to the status and credibility of the United Nations than many are willing to believe or accept.

Can the UN and its current leadership be trusted with international funds ever again?

All good questions Gazz but I'm wondering if Annan is attempting to distance himself from his son in an attempt to save his own bacon. This public show of disappointment in his son's actions is curious to say the least. It sounds like he is acknowledging that his son is guilty but he, himself, had no idea what was actually going on. How far will this rabbit hole actually go? Was he aware that some kickbacks were going on, but didn't know (or didn't want to know) just how out of control it had actually got?

B.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I await Kofi Annan's responses to the poignant questions posed here, with bated breath.

Has anyone ever worked out how much of the "charity" dollar in any program reaches its beneficiaries? After marketing and admin costs and backhanders? If it's more than ten cents in the dollar then the beneficiaries have done very well.

Roll on investigations into every major act of corruption, illegal foreign incursion, treason, deceit of custodians in every organization and national government this millennium... The age of nefarious has been upon us too long already.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Would Annan step down?

Senator calls on Annan to step down as U.N. chief

Writing in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal, Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., argues that Annan should step down because "the most extensive fraud in the history of the U.N. occurred on his watch. In addition, and perhaps more importantly, as long as Mr. Annan remains in charge, the world will never be able to learn the full extent of the bribes, kickbacks and under-the-table payments that took place under the U.N.'s collective nose."

Annan's office declined to comment Tuesday night.

The humanitarian oil-for-food program, which began in 1996, allowed Iraq to trade oil for food, medicine and other necessities that became scarce under strict U.N. economic sanctions imposed after the Gulf War. The program was credited with preventing widespread starvation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just adding this to the thread above as food for thought. No need for spin.

Gazz

new topics

top topics

join