It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks vows to reveal second country where NSA is recording all mobile phone calls.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Anyone died from the country/info release yet?

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Anyone died from the country/info release yet?

To be honest, this took me completely by surprise. One would think that it was a given that all calls in Afghanistan were being monitored. My guess was another country, not far from there, with close NATO ties.

Either that, or Assange did not actually have the name of the country and used this as a CYA regarding his statements.

At this point I am not sure. Interesting.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I was just checking some local stuff on Afghan news wires and reports of current goings on within Kabul and Kandahar when I came across this little gem from an off-MSM news source.

KABUL: Insurgents have killed 16 policemen in Afghanistan in the space of one day and beheaded eight of them, officials said Wednesday, as security forces prepare to guard a second-round election.

Villagers in the southern province of Zabul Tuesday found the decapitated bodies of eight local policemen who were seized two weeks ago, deputy provincial governor Mohammad Jan Rassoulyar told AFP. The policemen were snatched by militants after an attack on their convoy.
Source: 16 Afghan police killed in past 24 hours: officials

It may be tough to tell, without massive public demonstrations to identify beyond doubt, what killing may be related and what isn't. The killing has become so much like the 1990's civil war there now, it's a tough thing to distinguish.

I think Afghanistan is a nation we're trying to leave and leave as cleanly as possible at this stage of the game, and that includes very sensitive and delicate negotiations to make that as death free for all sides as can be accomplished.

Having all sides suddenly have it confirmed that everything from a quiet call from a Believer to his Imam, to conversations in the Presidential Suite in Kabul to the Taliban commanders calling their wife or whoever it is they call when they have a free moment, is extremely damaging IMO.

It's one thing to "know" it's happening, but the US itself is the best example of the difference between "knowing" and KNOWING.

Even people at ATS, who knew what Echelon was in some detail back in the 1990's, were shocked by the revelations from the NSA abuses. Why?? Did we not know?? That's absurd to suggest...but we didn't KNOW and somehow, knowing means reactions and response become expected and required. That compared with where they could be options just as easily passed on, before things like saving face and personal authorities among their individual tribes and groups became a paramount issue to add with everything else.

So..I hope I was totally and 100% wrong about violent reaction. It'll be the best wrong assessment I've ever made and the one I'll be most happily proven wrong for. Many of us know people, right now as we sit here, who are sitting OVER THERE and will be face to face with what I feared from this......and what even people like Glenn Greenwald feared enough to say "Hey....wait just a second here...."

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Kudos on your call, brother. I was a couple of countries off. BTW I like the new avatar.

EDIT: I still think the GCHQ comment is valid, though.
edit on 5231414 by rockflier because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join