It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Wyoming cloud wows weatherwatchers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
HARRP ...

at it's finest !

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Very very impressive !!

I was once close to a tornado in the states, not close enough to see it (could be a good thing) but just the wind...craaaaazy !!! Now, if I saw something like that there are two possibilities. Either I die from being scared to death or need of new underwear...if I survive.

Nature is absolutely beautiful and amazing yet so deadly at the same time.

S&F for sure !

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Holy cow! Absolutely incredible footage, beautiful and terrifying.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
awesome stuff!

i've lived in WY and IL and texas, among other places, in the states and the only time i got a little scared was in IL with a lightning storm.

i swear you couldn't make it with CGI, it was pretty heavy duty! lol!

i been through hurricanes and walked through a typhoon 8 because the transportation was halted.
tornado's all the time in IL and texas. nothing spooks me except that lightning storm tho.

never did see an actual tornado on the ground, lots of super cells.
we are so small it's ridiculous, compared to nature.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It's even got a beautiful light bluish hue, sun dancin' off it, just nice.

Those who get that reference are my hero, lol.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Oh, I'm willing to bet you ain't seen nothing yet.

I gotta start taking pictures again.

Enjoy the calm before the real storms.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
This is both really cool and really frightening

A phenomenal shot of a massive cloud Sunday near Clareton, Wyo., has been making the rounds on social media today.

The photo was taken by the Basehunters storm chasers group, who are "committed to capturing the most unique and close-up tornado footage on the market," according to their Facebook page. It shows the rotating updraft of a supercell thunderstorm over eastern Wyoming, according to Weather Channel meteorologist Jon Erdman.

Supercells are the largest, strongest and longest-lasting thunderstorms. They are most common on the Great Plains.

Known as a "low-precipitation" supercell, these types of storms seldom produce heavy rain or tornadoes, though they can produce large hail, Erdman said.

I have traveled extensively all over the United States and even abroad and I have seen my share of strange weather but nothing like this..

Semper

I am man.

I can control nature and affect clima-. . . . . .

oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sh!t!

RUN!

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
It's a good thing I come to ATS and discover these things are normal, because if I ever saw that without knowing I'd be scared to death!

You should be afraid of something like that.
Very afraid.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Auntie Em! Auntie EM!

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I would totally freak out if i saw that in person!! Im a big sook but in my defense that does have an apocalyptic look to it.. Lol.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Care to speculate on how tall that cell is?

The ground in that area is around 4,500 ft above sea level.

I've seen storms in Wyoming before, some produce micro-bursts that literally blow fully loaded trucks off the road like toys... Also seen it snow in the high elevations as late as mid-June...

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This is what happens when Native Americans have firewater
at a raindance.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Care to speculate on how tall that cell is?

Can't see the top.
Nope.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm from Douglas, WY, which isn't far from where this was filmed. Wyoming weather is not for the weak. Winters can be long and brutal. In fact I talked to my Dad this past weekend and he mentioned they had snow just a week or two ago (altitude of about 5,000 feet). Not uncommon for those parts. I remember once checking the weather before I walked to school. Weather report had a temperature of about -45, winds at a steady 45-50mph, and a wind chill at about -80. I didn't go to school that day.

Springs are pleasant, but don't let a nice day fool ya. You can get any type of weather you can imagine, to include hurricane force winds. Summers where I'm from are hot and dry with temps that can easily get up to triple digits in a hotter summer. Whenever a storm comes through the clouds never disappoint. Seen several super cells form out in the thunder basin national grasslands. They move across the land pretty quickly, and tornados aren't incredibly common.

People always ask me "what's there to do in Wyoming". A favorite response of mine is..."you do what you can while you can, based on the weather". If you've never been to Wyoming, it's a beautiful place to travel through. And many of the small towns are like going back in time.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Looks like a big arse tulip coming out of the sky.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Big clouds & weird dreams....

IMO this is an excellent movie.
Don't know if anyone agrees, or if anyone's seen it or heard of it for that matter.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Ahh, this just makes me homesick. In the Arizona desert we got tons of wicked weather and spectacular cloud formations. Microbursts, super cells, and 90+ mph winds are standard fare in the summer months. Awesome pic none the less.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis>>> I watched vertical lightning last summer that was unusual and pretty intense. Huge bolts of lightning leapt vertically from cloud to cloud never touching the ground. They happened with such frequency that the storm clouds were kept illuminated.
But this was amazing. They showed a hole in the clouds that just happened and that was otherworldly as well.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Wonder why the photographer is so far away- Must be a Seal,GB or Marine

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Wow. This group could easily license this photo and make some money for equipment and expenses. Amazing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join