It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Baptise Or Not To Baptise

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seabhac-rua

Your post sounded anything other than dumb.

The only reason I sometimes mull over my(and my GF's) decision is to protect him from the boorish attacks of cruel children.

There are lots of reasons to go with the flow. You 'know' that. Closing future paths ... is that wise?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Good for you.

I wholeheartedly believe it is the child's choice, free will right? well you take their choice away from them when you baptize them without their permission.

I did not baptize either of my children but will gladly be with them if they choose to do so themselves. I also flatly refused to allow my daughters ears to be pierced when she was a baby, her choice to be marked, not mine or her fathers. Luckily my husband agrees but his dad wanted us to baptize them and the grandma wanted my daughters ears pierced, but we explained our take on it and did not hear too much moaning over it.

If the child chooses to be baptized later on in life it will be that much more meaningful.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: lambs to lions

I never said I don't believe in God, but should I believe in a God just because of what I learned in school, or because I was raised in a society where it was shoved down my throat at every given opportunity?

I take this very seriously for three reasons: the right of a parent to choose, the right of n individual to choose, and my own belief that human spirituality is something that should be taken seriously, as I have said, everybody that I know personally who has baptised their child did so only because that is what "you are expected to do" in my society, the wrong reason if you ask me.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
oh, baptism is a good thing.

why not?

my wife is not but still a christian.

i am catholic therefore baptized at birth.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

If my post is dumb then your offering is way dumber.

You don't know what you're talking about.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Not closing future paths at all, leaving them open for an informed decision when a person is mature enough to make them.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: seabhac-rua

I never said I don't believe in God, but should I believe in a God just because of what I learned in school, or because I was raised in a society where it was shoved down my throat at every given opportunity?

I take this very seriously for three reasons: the right of a parent to choose, the right of n individual to choose, and my own belief that human spirituality is something that should be taken seriously, as I have said, everybody that I know personally who has baptised their child did so only because that is what "you are expected to do" in my society, the wrong reason if you ask me.

why do you hate children?

you are the parent. you do what's best for them, right?

are you gonna debate with a 3 day old about baptism?
or a pre teen that wants a tramp stamp coz all her friends have one?

would you care if your 32yo has 4 kids and 3 marriages? son or daughter.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I absolutely respect your opinions. I would like to respond to a few things though. You shouldn't believe in God because it's what you learned in school or society. However, it is my belief that God makes sure that He is known to everyone. It is up to the individual to meet Him halfway. If that means reading scripture and learning His teachings then so be it. It sounds like anger and frustration is a result of negative experiences that you associate with religion, not the actual religion itself. There is nothing that says priests should be monsters, or Christians to act like they are better than everyone else. Those are the actions of people. People who in my mind are influenced by evil. The devil is active in this world and he does a good job at corrupting and confusing. The old divide and conquer strategy. Once I accepted Jesus Christ I was no longer angry, or full of venom towards the Church or anyone. Keep the door open my friend.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seabhac-rua
a reply to: tsingtao

If my post is dumb then your offering is way dumber.

You don't know what you're talking about.

yeah, ok.

i have no idea after 60yrs of being on this planet.

people like you, lol, never mind, i hate to be a conformist, never was and never will be.

just do what you want, don't spout on some internet forum that you have conscienceless issues.

raise your kids as you see fit, like everyother parent.

tell them there is no God but put the presents under the tree each year.

edit on 3130415931pm2014 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

nice one!

he has freedom to ignore or react.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Here is an attempt to help.

Should confuse the relatives no end.

Baptize your Son yourself.

Make up your own words. Try these as a guide.

"God, if you exist, then I baptize my child in your name. If you don't exist, then I am just pouring warm water over my son's forehead."

Tell the relatives that you baptized your son. Then tell them that if it was so important for the church, that it was real, then the church would Baptize without charge. They won't, sets a bad precedent. Stand your ground!

There is nowhere in the bible that requires a Priest or Minister to baptize, it is only a money making rule of the church.

Sit back and watch the relatives enter a state of befuddlement.

P

edit on 19/5/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Yeah, don't be dumb. Better to let a pedophile in a dress sprinkle some magic water on his child's forehead so the god that loves him so much doesn't send his infant to burn in hell forever if he dies.... makes sense.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsingtao
i have no idea after 60yrs of being on this planet.

I think you should do some objective research on how Catholic beliefs and traditions compare to the Bible.

Just saying...

One of the reasons I steadily changed my beliefs (in my case Christianity) is because of all the contradictions etc. within the dogma, and what the actual scriptures say.

If the man and his wife have qualms with baptizing their child it's understandable. They shouldn't feel obligated to do so just because of hundreds of years of tradition, especially from an institution like the Catholic church. Luckily for them they don't have to take the threat of being burned at the stake into consideration.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

The Church doesn't charge for baptism. What are you talking about? I am Catholic, I attend Catholic mass. I've seen dozens of baptisms including all of my children. Never once have I ever witnessed or heard about anyone being charged a fee for the rite of baptism.

If you have evidence otherwise I would like to see it, really...it would be an absolute tragedy for that to happen.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

What inconsistencies are you referring to exactly?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

As a Christian, I believe that baptism should be an individual choice. Obviously a baby is too young to choose. Stand your ground and preserve your childs right to choose. So what if you make some enemies in the process. You really havent lived life if you dont have an impressive list of enemies.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I'm a pretty hard core atheist and am facing the same kinda thing with Sunday school and such. Tho I agree with your principles. You have to consider the impact on a kid if they were to go into a mainly Christian grade school telling everyone god isn't real. It could be scarring so IMHO it may be better to play your " role" with the establishment then tell your kid the truth in middle school.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

You mean as a prodestant not as a Christian. Catholics are Christians too.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Its been awhile since I read and listened to some podcasts about it. I'll have to get back to you. It would be interesting to get some of your thoughts on it.

originally posted by: ArtemisE
Catholics are Christians too.

Christians would argue against that.
edit on 19-5-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: edit happy

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Agreed but do you have a right to socially isolate your kid by having them buck religion when they're too young to understand or defend there point?

If atheist or agnostic, besides the potential brain washing aspect there's no harm in baptism. Having your kid be the only child of "devil worshippers" ( atheists most evangelicals think it's the same thing lmao).

It's there issue. But sometimes you have to do what's right for your kids social development and safety . Even if your the one in the right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join