It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Love won today,"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Federal judge strikes down Oregon's same-sex marriage ban

(CNN) -- A federal judge struck down Oregon's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage Monday.

"Because Oregon's marriage laws discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation without a rational relationship to any legitimate government interest, the laws violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution," U.S. District Judge Michael McShane said in his ruling.

Oregon voters passed Measure 36 in 2004, which amended the state's Constitution to define marriage as between one man and a woman.

In February, the state's attorney general said she would not defend the ban in court because it would not stand up to a federal constitutional challenge.

CNN

10 years ago 0 states allowed same sex marriage today 17 states and the District of Columbia have same sex marriage now you can add Oregon to that list and Arkansas and Idaho will be added shortly.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

The attempts by the religious right to hold people down, to declare them second class citizens, to oppress them, to limit there rights is coming full circle soon liberty and freedom will be restored in all 50 states.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I personally don't agree with same sex marriage due to the fact that marriage is a religious contract between 2 individuals and the state. That said, I absolutely think that homosexuals should be allowed to enter into same sex unions, and have all the rights, privileges, and circumstances that a married heterosexual couple has. I also personally think that muilt-unit unions should be allowed as well as there are people that like to get a little freaky out there. I think all should have equal right, but only one should be classified as marriage. the others are unions.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

I was happy to read this earlier today. I moved here from the Portland area and I miss it sometimes. I'm glad they're moving into the future and I'm enjoying seeing each state - one by one - taking the 14th amendment more seriously.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: camain
That said, I absolutely think that homosexuals should be allowed to enter into same sex unions, and have all the rights, privileges, and circumstances that a married heterosexual couple has.

What is called a "civil union" has MANY fewer benefits than "marriage".

Atheists marry, so I don't think marriage is just for religious people.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Condragulations Oregon!

Love Is Love! and in the end love will conquer hate and intolerance

Human Rights For Everybody there is no difference!

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
17 and counting.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

right but why do they marry when they don't believe in God? Just like why do Buddhist or Hindus marry? in the Judeo-Christian environment Marriage is a Union between a man and a woman, let the Buddhist and Hindus have there Union just as let the homosexuals have there's. there all different unions and they should all be the same, BUT allowed to be different. Christians get upset with homosexuals getting "married" because the bible is clear, homosexual behavior is a sin. Is it different then any other sin, no, I lied, cheated, blasphemed today. Guess what, my sin is no different then packing fudge. There all the same. Most Christians however think that there is nothing wrong with civil unions. they understand the practicalities of being together with someone a long time and having common assets etc. However when the LBGT group goes and gets in there face and say, I'm going to marry, you cant stop me, no we aren't going to call it a civil union, were going to trash your religion instead, what do you expect Christians to do other then to dig there feet into the ground and say no. If both groups would go with something that both could live with vs, lets sue the church because they discriminate crap, or the no we wont let you have your marriage in our church crap, then things would go a lot smoother, compromise is the key.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: camain

Religion doesn't own the word "Marriage" and in the end that is what peoples argument is about, it is about the "Control" of a Word.. you can have the exact same benefits as a "Married Couple" you can be joined in a "Ceremony" but you can't have "Our" word.

If we are going off Sin, there are a lot of Sins that people do and they still get married.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: camain

Actually if you study the Bible and history, "abhorrent" doesn't mean now what it did then, it meant non-traditional basically and the story of Sodom and Gomorrah the sin wasn't homosexuality, that isn't what angered God. What angered God and what He found abhorrent was the snubbing of the Hebrew tradition of welcoming strangers into your home as family.

You can't expect to know Gods will by reading selective versus of the Bible. Read the whole story of each chapter to understand the context of any verse within it. God is Love, not the poison dripping from fear driven men posing as preachers' mouths.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

right but why do they marry when they don't believe in God?

Marriage is many things to many people. It's actually a LEGAL union, whether you're Christian, atheist, Hindu or Satanist. The religious part of the marriage is an "add-on" to the legal union. It's an OPTION. Because no matter who you are, you have to get a license from the state to legally marry. What else it means to you is up to you. If you want to have religious meaning, then you get married in a church with a clergy. If not, you can get married in the courthouse without a word of religion. Each couple chooses what their marriage means. The only marriage you have control over is yours.

? in the Judeo-Christian environment Marriage is a Union between a man and a woman, let the Buddhist and Hindus have there Union just as let the homosexuals have there's. there all different unions and they should all be the same, BUT allowed to be different.

If they're the same, why call it something different? And the truth is, marriage came before religion.

Christians get upset with homosexuals getting "married" because the bible is clear, homosexual behavior is a sin.

I know Christians get upset - they think they own marriage, but they don't. It's a legal construct first. And non-Christians don't really care what the bible says.

Most Christians however think that there is nothing wrong with civil unions.

Again, most non-Christians don't really care what Christians want. And it's not really your business what other marriages are about. Atheists, Hindus, gay people will take care of their marriage. You take care of yours.
Easy Peasy.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

10 years ago 0 states allowed same sex marriage today 17 states and the District of Columbia have same sex marriage now you can add Oregon to that list....
thats because the people have, over decades...been skillfully manipulated into accepting ideas that were unnacceptable only a few decades ago. People only think its the result of some magical mass awakening of people, but in reality they are just acting out whatever was injected into their heads, through non-stop media programming and celebrity endorsement....this has created a false notion that people who believe ''marriage'' is between a man and a woman are bigots. Also, I'm not an American, but I must say its interesting to see an entire nation destroy itself morally and socially and actually are convinced that they are ''progressing'' while everybody else who disagrees are stuck in the past. Its funny and sad at the same time.
edit on 20-5-2014 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

right but why do they marry when they don't believe in God? Just like why do Buddhist or Hindus marry?

Because it's not symbolic hogwash, it's committing yourself to the person you love & making sure I'm entitled to spousal rights. Like being able to visit my husband if he's ever somewhere where visitation is restricted to family (like an ICU), make medical decisions if he can't, bury him if he dies, etc. Whole bunch of stuff right here that people would have a harder, or impossible, time having or getting done as unmarried people.

The religious don't own the concept of pairing off. Marriage, in other words.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: sk0rpi0n
thats because the people have, over decades...been skillfully manipulated into accepting ideas that were unnacceptable only a few decades ago.

Ideas like "equal treatment under the law"? That's not only been acceptable for many years here in the US, it's written into our founding documents. People aren't being manipulated to accept homosexuality. MANY people who don't accept homosexuality DO accept equal treatment under the law of each and EVERY citizen.

this has created a false notion that people who believe ''marriage'' is between a man and a woman are bigots.

I certainly don't believe that. If people believe that marriage is only between a man and a woman, then they should marry the opposite sex. It doesn't make them a bigot. If they try to FORCE their beliefs on everyone else, then I might start to wonder...

Also, I'm not an American,

But you do understand what equal legal treatment is, right? And marriage is a legal contract between people. And denying SOME people to enter into that contract is a gross violation of the US Constitution. You understand that, right?

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
@Benevolent Heretic......''But you do understand what equal legal treatment is, right?''..........Gays being allowed to marry are a recent development. As the op said 0 states allowed it 10 years ago....and now 17 states allow it. How did that happen? People woke up one day, smacked their foreheads and said ''we've been wrong about this all along''? How did that change happen? I'd say it was engineered ....peoples perceptions were shaped , as evidence shows. And as always, we see 'civil rights' flavored language and phrases like 'love' and 'equality' being invoked in these kinds of topics. Its the usual techique used to silence the opposition....basically ''I stand for love and civil rights and equality, and you dont''.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
sorry double post.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Whatever people do in their privacy if it doesn't bother the others is OK and should be legal...But it seems like the media is intentionally softening up the society for a greater agenda....Consume more, be selfish,live the moment,fulfill your sexual desires,loosen up,be an individual,etc,,,all are not necessarily a bad thing but promoting it so much seems a little odd to me.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: shapur
Whatever people do in their privacy if it doesn't bother the others is OK and should be legal...But it seems like the media is intentionally softening up the society for a greater agenda....Consume more, be selfish,live the moment,fulfill your sexual desires,loosen up,be an individual,etc,,,all are not necessarily a bad thing but promoting it so much seems a little odd to me.
its more than just ''softening'' up society. There is a very real bias in the way the media reports things. Some time back, I posted a youtube video of gay activists beating up a christian for holding up a sign....in full public view. Imagine if it were the other way round....if christians beat up a gay dude wth a sign. The media would be all over it. There is a BIAS at work.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Also, US vice president Biden ADMITTED that the media played a huge role in changing peoples perceptions on this matter. Clearly, EXTERNAL forces managed to achieve this change...no different from a corporation using advertisements and the media to convince people product is good. In this case, the ''product'' being ''sold'' is a lifestyle. People have bought the idea that its normal and acceptable.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: sk0rpi0n
Gays being allowed to marry are a recent development. As the op said 0 states allowed it 10 years ago....and now 17 states allow it. How did that happen?

Gay marriage in the US is 10 years old. Gay marriages have been happening and accepted in different parts of the world since ancient times. The US is just catching up. Great article:

A History of Gay Marriage

Evidence exists that same-sex marriages were tolerated in parts of Mesopotamia and ancient Egypt. Artifacts from Egypt, for example, show that same-sex relationships not only existed, but the discovery of a pharaonic tomb for such a couple shows their union was recognized by the kingdom.

How did that change happen? I'd say it was engineered ....peoples perceptions were shaped , as evidence shows.

People's perceptions are ALWAYS shaped by the world around them. That's how slavery was ended. There was a time when everyone accepted it as a reasonable and right thing to do. But people's perceptions changed because of what they learned and experienced. They came to realize that black people were people, too, and should have equal protection of the laws, just like white landowners.

Was this "engineering"? In a way. But it was a good thing and the RIGHT thing.

Its the usual techique used to silence the opposition....basically ''I stand for love and civil rights and equality, and you dont''.

Well, do you? Do you stand for love and civil rights of ALL citizens? Or not? I mean, if the shoe fits...
edit on 5/20/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: sk0rpi0n

You act like the LGBT fight hasn't been happening for ages. Yes maybe now people are realizing the we have been on the lesser end of "Equality" for quite some time, yet this isn't a "New" fight

look, i'm only 24 (almost) so i can't claim to be part of the History of the Movement, but i know my Herstory, and i will continue the fight.

it's funny the LGBT gets discredited for taking a Stand, joining together to fight the powers the suppress us and making our Voices loud to be heard, and we get tossed aside as "Media Brainwashing" yet any other political movement, or religious movement is seen as "Patriots" and "True Americans" fighting for their rights

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join