It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas man faces life in prison for pot brownies

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox
[So Until then...follow it and maybe become president?

Basically... yeah! Don't be stupid. The point isn't whether marijuana is harmful or wonderful or whether or not the laws are fair or whether successful people have used it. The point is there are laws, and if you break them, you risk being thrown in jail for a long time. Hey, maybe I don't like some red lights on the street telling me I have to stop, especially when there are no cars around. But if I blow through a red light, then I understand that I risk getting arrested.

It doesn't matter if you think a law is unfair or unreasonable. That's difficult for some people to understand.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
My comments are only intended to address the Medical MJ issue and its societal impacts and not the Illegal Recreational aspects or impacts.

The people who suppressed the Medical value of MJ and supported the criminalisation of it societally to further their own fiscal agandas should all be rounded up and imprisoned and EVERY single MJ conviction should be sticken from the records.

The Industrial uses of Hemp have been suppressed to support an Oil based World Economy,the Mediacl uses of Hemp have been suppressed to support Big Pharmas fiscal control and legal backbench.

When there are laws present we cannot break them,if the people are comfortable seeing this kid treated how he will be treated by their laws then they need to either accept it or makes changes to those laws ASAP.

I find it really backwards that in one State you get life in Prison and in another you can buy MJ in an Automated Machine like a Can of Soda Pop,this shows a Cointry that is ripping itself apart from the inside.

There is no way to validate this obscene and abusatory spectrum of societal perspective.

The American People either agree this is something they want to be illegal or they decide it is something they want to be legal,this is not for the Courts to decide this is for Americans to decide via a National referendum which requires participaction by law and everyone must vote.

Neither Federal nor state Governing Regulatios should impede the will and voice of the People,so this means that it is a Nationally vested interest requiring a 100% participatory National Referendum to catalyse a final decision as to lawfullness or not,this is OUTSIDE the legal system and the Legal system is trying to hang on to it to sustain itself as an entity.

State borders were not designed to isolate americans from one another to destroy the Esprit de Corps of the Nation ,and Federal laws were not designed to suppress the voice of the People.

Find out what the people want on a National level,then if America wants change,make it for them,if states wish to fight legal battles and finance Nighmare volumes and degerees of litigation with Medical Patients who are no longer stifled by Federal laws then so be it,however I highly doubt any States will try to go broke fighting something that is providing enormous Tax and revenue benefits to other States.

In the Future we will discover other things which Society wishes to change and we will make those changes because they are required by an evolving Culture and Society.

Medical Marijuana is a legitimate and societally supported topic of conversation and discussion,and I like it this way.

Had the proper and timely support been given to Medical Patients who were requesting curative relief from MJ the discussions about legalisation and de-criminalisation would not have catalysed and been supported, Big Pharma had been stonewalled by the inability to patent MJ and corner the Market on its medicinal impacts so they fought to disallow Patients from accessing the medicine by supporting one-sided studies and anti-drug movements by agreeing that MJ should be classified and thought of in the same vein as illegal and illicit drugs.

Blame Big Pharma for Societys appetite for legalising and de-criminalising MJ,Big Pharma created the dynamic and fed it by overtly trying to suppress Medical Patients from accessing and using MJ,had they simply let it remain a herbal remedy no one would even care today,they created their own monster.No one could have out-marketed their products anyways,it was never a fight worth having,and now we see that Mainstream America has now decided they want Societal change the same ways Canada is demanding it.

The Global effect on North America the Continent of America and Canada beginning to recognise Societys demands and de-criminalise and Legalise and allow access for medical patients ect ect has been that mexican and other Drug Cartels have been literally broken to pieces financially,they have been permanently crippled,you see the big secret has finally come out,Cartels werent making their bread and butter money off of selling hard drugs to a small market share ,no way no how,they were making their bankrolls off of a steady and growing and consistant demand for MJ by the Majority of Society.They were bleeding the biggest market Share of all,the Majority,and this is why Societal change had to happen and is happening and will continue to happen,the Cartels got to greedy and tipped the economic balance.They over-promoted until Society became accepting in the majority mindset where it could be tangibly reflected via voting.

It is not so hard to understand the evolution and history of MJ within the Global Community when we can now see the medical benefits and science behind those benefits.It wasnt hard to sell the benefits to society enmasse of something that actually HAD benefits.The tangible medical and theraputic benefits of MJ sold themselves.

I wish someone had told that young man that being American did not mean he could expect to be treated the same as every man in the Country,that being American stopped at his State lines,that he had to ask permission from his State-Masters to be treated as his fellow Americans in other States.And then told him that even if his State gave him ermission the federal Government would still consider him to be a criminal.

The real issue here is this,if I see an American looking back over his shoulders at the Bordercrossing as the Mexican Authoritys are leadnig him to a Tex-Mex Prison because he broke mexican laws on their turf by doing something that just 200 feet away across the border was not illegal,i feel no pity,the rules are the rules.

But when I think of an American Citizen being led away in Cuffs to a lifetime prison sentence in one State when 200 feet away in his home State no state laws were being broken,then I do not see a COUNTRY,no way man,anyone can understand mexico and America having a divide this deep,but to even consider that the American people live with fractures this horrifficly impactfull every single day and that so many are hurt by the dynamic every year,I am saddened,and the same applies to Canada where the Dynamics are parallelled.

The MJ industry is being accepted within the Status Quo and a big part of the driving forces happens to be that regular people do not want to support Mexican Drug Cartels,not when Society accepts MJ and not when that money could go into their own National infrastructure and economy via legal taxation totalling millions to billions per year per state per year.

The idea that one American can be relaxing socially after work in a cafe smoking MJ while another American in another State can be facing criminal prosecution for doing the same thing on American soil is so crazy as to be indescribable,there are no excuses available.The Federal Governments unwillingness to legalise Federally and allow the lawyers of Medical patients to engage state Lawmakers is designed to delay and prevent a Societal acceptance which would severely curtail their budgets and workload and hence cost them dollars and jobs.

The Feds need to step out of it and do so via a national Referendum to see what America wants Nationally,if America wants legalisation with taxation,then so be it,and if any states wish to make laws which conflict with this Nationally accepted Status Quo then they may do so and have that action sanctioned by Federal courts at their own expense .The documented medical benefits and existing and growing Medical Status Quo means that no State would stand a chance of stopping med patients from accessing and medicating with MJ.So the ball would land where it belongs,in Societys end of the court where it has already nationally decided it is acceptable societally.

This would at least guarantee acess for Medical Patients Nationally with no predjudice.

The states wishing to outlaw MJ could easily do so as long as they dont try to stop medical Patients which would not work and be cost prohibitive to action,by allowing Med Patients to fully and legally access MJ they give themselves the ability to prevent Statewide use via any Legally defendable causality,they could defend State Jurisdiction above Federal lack of law if they seperated medical and non-medical use and set a precedent by adopting legeslation for Medical use thereby disenfranchising recreational use and making it virtually impossible to win the point in court.

edit on 19-5-2014 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Ridiculous!! Add him to the list of people serving life sentences for non violent offenses.

For 3,278 people, it was nonviolent offenses like stealing a $159 jacket or serving as a middleman in the sale of $10 of marijuana.
An estimated 65% of them are Black.
Many of them were struggling with mental illness, drug dependency or financial desperation when they committed their crimes.
None of them will ever come home to their parents and children. And taxpayers are spending billions to keep them behind bars.
aclu.com
edit on 19-5-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spacing for easier reading

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Texas, what a place. Any idiot can own a gun but possessing a certain plant will land a person in prison over there.

Life in prison for using a natural plant ingredient in a batch of brownies, what an abuse of a draconian law.

Any LEOs or state prosecutors want to try and justify these charges?
edit on 19-5-2014 by jrod because: cleanup

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The guy will serve his time.
When in Rome and all...
If he did not like the law, there are a few other states he could have gone to.
Until stupid laws can be changed...

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

I dont want to derail the thread,but here is some food for thought in reverse psycology format.

If you took every day month and year year of every jail or prison sentence given in the US for ANY MJ RELATED CRIME,and then attatched a VOTE to that year of an Americans life,and then looked at the number in front of you you would crap your pants,then if you compared that number of VOTES which had they supported MJ legalisation would have kept the voter out of prison -- that huge number in front of you -- to the number of ACTUAL votes which were used to keep MJ criminal you might find an interesting quandry to deal with.

Because not everyone votes and in some areas the numbers are wayyy less than you think,dont believe MSM, the actual physical votes cast in any year are a very very small number of the potential votes,this means that the representative Statae groups can go to a Federal level and represent say 10 million people based on the actul physical votes of say 50 000 people and do this legally.So really you have 50 000 people deciding the fate of 10 000 000 people because the majority failed to vote but their impacts or unused votes were carried forward to the next level by the voting MINORITY.So it is really a majority or the minority type of representation taken to the next level.

Now say you have 50 000 voters and you break it down to 4 political parties,now you need to give those votes to SOMEONE,it is a lot easier to control 50 000 people by fiscal influences,now we have a majority of 50 000 people who will vote for the winning party projecting the wishes of an entire Country,so lets say that one party gets 26% of the vote and wins and becomes representative of all 50 000 ....really 10 000 000 people.

Now you have 13 000 people who have the same perspective representing 10 000 000 people.

Anyone can influence 13 000 people,and discourage 37 000 broken down into 3 with barely any fiscal effort and organisation,can you now see how modern democracy is a bastardised form of True Democracy and this misinterpretation is supported and preserved by TPTB .

Unless you have a 100% voter turnout by law you cannot have a True Democracy,and once you have a National 100% voter participation in todays world you no longer require representative action or levels of Government in fact you no longer require government you require Civil service.

Ask yourself why there is no Nationwide realtime voting online and you will have your answers,because that is the way every Americans true wishes would be accurately projected with one single conduit with NO LEVELS OF REPRESENTATION required and Governments would be obsolete immediatly and replaced with Punatively accountable Civil Servants who only follow orders and have no decision making inputs.

It is a failure to vote with 100% participaction at a State level which breaks open the first small hairline crack that the bad apples take root in,you will find that the State borders were designed to prevent a True Democracy from ever being built.

In a True Democracy one mans law is the law of all men,in America today we see nothing near a true democracy at work,not at all.

A true Democracy WAS NEVER possible prior to the internet providing a realtime global conduit which catalyses every single voters voice immediatly and clearly at the same time.

There is no need for anything but Employees of the People .

A True Democracy in its purest form must be a Global Species level Democracy,at that level it provides OPTIMAL HUMANITARIAN impacts.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This is more utter retardation.

Complete lunacy, lacks scientific backing and is built on early 1900's propaganda.

Stupid stupid stupid.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Complete lunacy, lacks scientific backing and is built on early 1900's propaganda.

So work hard to change the law. There are mechanisms in place for that to happen. Good luck.
But until they're changed, it's completely up to potential lawbreakers not to be idiots.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
People who honestly have the attitude "It's the law, just follow it or you go to jail. Don't complain, you knew it was the law" shock me, in a disgusted sort of way, though I suppose its the majority attitude. People who believe the law/authority is the true standard for right and wrong are responsible for far more evil in the world's history than anyone else. I for one do not factor the law into my assessment of right and wrong, and appropriate behavior, whatsoever.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney
I for one do not factor the law into my assessment of right and wrong, and appropriate behavior, whatsoever.

The law has nothing to do with right or wrong. You're correct about that. It's about sanctioning certain types of behavior within a society. Don't think for a minute that society doesn't have the power to tell you what you can and cannot do. If you don't follow its rules, it can send police to arrest you and lock you up, and in some extreme circumstances can even kill you. Your personal views on right or wrong are irrelevant. Might makes right when society and laws are concerned.

No, you don't have to follow society's rules. But you must be willing to face the consequences if you don't.

Now, a smart person is going to be very careful about their behavior. A smart person will avoid getting caught. Righteous indignation and flaunting the law is a very foolish thing for somebody to do when they have little or no authority or power.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I get a headache when I read your perspective.

Reminds me of the George bush speech where he talks about the rule of law and the law of the jungle.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: brandiwine14
It does not sound like it was just him and his friends sitting around getting stoned on pot brownies. Was he selling them to people who had no clue what they would be taking?

I'd change my tune if it everyone knew exactly what they were eating.

I don't believe this has anything to do with him giving these to anyone unknowingly. He is being charged with an amount of hash that equals the weight of the brownies he was caught with.

1 Pan of brownies weighs a pound or two at minimum (usually). He was being charged with this much hash instead of the actual amount of hash he used in the brownies.. a couple grams? (just guessing here)

Basically, the charge ramps the crime - which involved a little hash - up to the most severe, large scale dealer type of distribution. Since he is being accused of probably multiple pounds of hash with intent to distribute - rather than a couple grams for personal consumption... he has the potential of facing up to life in prison, since the amount he is actually being charged with is more than quite large.
edit on 19-5-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Look. I don't know you but you are a bit off base about a few things. Sometimes, society does mess up - finds itself stuck in a rut that wasn't intended for that particular wheel. I'm sure this kid is in that rut.

However, the charge carries a penalty of 5 years to life. Meaning, its a minimum of 5 years - maximum of life - life if your head drug cartel dude they really are trying to catch with these laws. The kid will do 4 years and three months and get out. Possibly even sooner. He's a first time offender, good kid, active athlete etc.

There is probably a reason the weight of the brownie is calculated in, they probably at one point used some baked good or something or other to smuggle hash oil into the country. They made a VERY strict law to discourage such smuggling practices, and the kid found himself caught in something he did not understand.

He will get the minimum because he is not the reason they made this law so strict. But its a rut society finds itself stuck in from time to time when they make laws extremely strict to discourage one thing, only to find something completely different trapped in it.
edit on 19-5-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Its basically the same as if you were making hash (solid cannabis block). The police will charge you for the weight of the final product and not the total percentage of THC found within.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
And in the same state the Pos called ethan couch was allowedto walk away after killing 4 and disabling another after drink and drug driving....defence bei g he was too rich to jail.

Texan justice at its finest!

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: g146541
The guy will serve his time.
When in Rome and all...
If he did not like the law, there are a few other states he could have gone to.
Until stupid laws can be changed...

Yeah this non violent harmless criminal will do his time.

Time amognst some of the worst people imaginable.

He will come oyt violent, full of hate and with a chip on his shoulder against "the man",

Great use of tax dollers....,,

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Reminds me of the George bush speech where he talks about the rule of law and the law of the jungle.

You have to understand that the law is an artificial construct. It's there primarily to keep things the way they are. To keep things running smoothly. To allow those in power to keep that power.

The number one thing most people want is to make money and have families and keep their children safe. They want to continue DNA. And for the most part, they don't really care if the government is a kingdom or a democracy or a communist state. They follow the rules, and they can breed and raise their families.

Is it any wonder that the people most likely to think these laws are unfair are single people, usually unattached males who feel like they should have the power to choose without society telling them what to do? Might makes right, and society has the strength to make its laws right.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: TheJourney
I for one do not factor the law into my assessment of right and wrong, and appropriate behavior, whatsoever.

The law has nothing to do with right or wrong. You're correct about that. It's about sanctioning certain types of behavior within a society. Don't think for a minute that society doesn't have the power to tell you what you can and cannot do. If you don't follow its rules, it can send police to arrest you and lock you up, and in some extreme circumstances can even kill you. Your personal views on right or wrong are irrelevant. Might makes right when society and laws are concerned.

No, you don't have to follow society's rules. But you must be willing to face the consequences if you don't.

Now, a smart person is going to be very careful about their behavior. A smart person will avoid getting caught. Righteous indignation and flaunting the law is a very foolish thing for somebody to do when they have little or no authority or power.

Are you in support of such a system when society gets tired of people like you and wishes to do away with them?

Back in the early days of the civil rights movement, would you be the person calling Rosa Parks an idiot, MLK a fool because of their bucking of authority?

Your mistake is thinking these are society's rules. They are not. They are NOT rules that we as a society agreed to live under. These are rules that were IMPOSED upon us by a very tiny select few, and ultimately placed there in violation of the constitution.

Your logic has never once in history led to anything positive. Your attitude has always resulted in reinforcing atrocities and abuses perpetrated by those making the rules.

You claim people have no authority or power... wow, no wonder you say what you do. I'm sorry you don't have any royals to claim fealty to anymore, although I'm sure you'll find a suitable analog one way or another.

Additionally it's the law that punishment not be extreme, without an ability to demonstrate any damage done to anybody, no chance of producing a complaining witness, any sort of jail time is in the extreme. He is no danger to society, removing him from it is extreme and unusual. Even within your construct you love so much, this man still doesn't deserve what he is being threatened with.

edit on 19-5-2014 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

I dont want to derail the thread,but here is some food for thought in reverse psycology format.

If you took every day month and year year of every jail or prison sentence given in the US for ANY MJ RELATED CRIME,and then attatched a VOTE to that year of an Americans life,and then looked at the number in front of you you would crap your pants,then if you compared that number of VOTES which had they supported MJ legalisation would have kept the voter out of prison -- that huge number in front of you -- to the number of ACTUAL votes which were used to keep MJ criminal you might find an interesting quandry to deal with.

Because not everyone votes and in some areas the numbers are wayyy less than you think,dont believe MSM, the actual physical votes cast in any year are a very very small number of the potential votes,this means that the representative Statae groups can go to a Federal level and represent say 10 million people based on the actul physical votes of say 50 000 people and do this legally.So really you have 50 000 people deciding the fate of 10 000 000 people because the majority failed to vote but their impacts or unused votes were carried forward to the next level by the voting MINORITY.So it is really a majority or the minority type of representation taken to the next level.

Now say you have 50 000 voters and you break it down to 4 political parties,now you need to give those votes to SOMEONE,it is a lot easier to control 50 000 people by fiscal influences,now we have a majority of 50 000 people who will vote for the winning party projecting the wishes of an entire Country,so lets say that one party gets 26% of the vote and wins and becomes representative of all 50 000 ....really 10 000 000 people.

Now you have 13 000 people who have the same perspective representing 10 000 000 people.

Anyone can influence 13 000 people,and discourage 37 000 broken down into 3 with barely any fiscal effort and organisation,can you now see how modern democracy is a bastardised form of True Democracy and this misinterpretation is supported and preserved by TPTB .

Unless you have a 100% voter turnout by law you cannot have a True Democracy,and once you have a National 100% voter participation in todays world you no longer require representative action or levels of Government in fact you no longer require government you require Civil service.

Ask yourself why there is no Nationwide realtime voting online and you will have your answers,because that is the way every Americans true wishes would be accurately projected with one single conduit with NO LEVELS OF REPRESENTATION required and Governments would be obsolete immediatly and replaced with Punatively accountable Civil Servants who only follow orders and have no decision making inputs.

It is a failure to vote with 100% participaction at a State level which breaks open the first small hairline crack that the bad apples take root in,you will find that the State borders were designed to prevent a True Democracy from ever being built.

In a True Democracy one mans law is the law of all men,in America today we see nothing near a true democracy at work,not at all.

A true Democracy WAS NEVER possible prior to the internet providing a realtime global conduit which catalyses every single voters voice immediatly and clearly at the same time.

There is no need for anything but Employees of the People .

A True Democracy in its purest form must be a Global Species level Democracy,at that level it provides OPTIMAL HUMANITARIAN impacts.

Dude you deserve stars and flags for that, unfortunately I can only give you one star. Spot on

edit on 19-5-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join