It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80's is it a decade most of people want to come back to?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I not only loved living in the 80's but I also loved the 70's and most of the 60's. But after the 80's it started to get a little bit more heavy and it has gone down hill since that time when I look at our freedom, enjoyment of live and the sponteinity. Today although one can be spontaneous about small things, you can't whip onto big things anymore.

You could deal with things so easily, there was no forced to produce all your documents giving your details to some dink on the other end of the phone, who sounds 18 and sometimes either can't understand what you are saying or isn't interested in the reason for your call.

Today its hell to deal with anything and everything seems to be recorded or written down. My friend went to offer their services in a charity shop and was literally given the 10th degree interview and in the end, she deduced they clearly didn't really want volunteers - whom they had advertised for. Another friend wanted a mortgage, which was only 2 1/2 times her annual salary and she was also permanent staff having worked for the same firm for 7 years. You would think she had asked for a chunk of China! The delays, fiddling around, suddenly wanting further details and information, she still hasn't signed her documentds and its over 3 months, she's lucky the vendor's are in the same boat. Today getting a mortgage is more like getting a new heart. The security stuff they go through, perhaps if governments had managed better the people today would be better off, but today its all too heavy and time wasting… The 80's for us were simpler and far more fun. The fashion was 'interesting' though.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 19KTankCommander

I'm not American. My 70's were just fine.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Simon and Simon is my favorite to watch now for a taste.

Knight Rider, Airwolf, Greatest American Hero, etc.

wish we could relive the 70s and 80s.

+In the 80s pay was same as now, yet things cost 1/4 what they do..

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I was born in 88, so I don't really know much about the 80s. I will say those john Hugh's movies were good. As was a lot of the music.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917

originally posted by: rickymouse
Just leave the disco back in the eighties. All the other stuff in the eighties was just fine.

Disco was the 70's wasn't it?

I love the 80's. I was a teenager in the mid to late 80's and was great! The music, the concerts, the best time of my life.

My first concert was Jane's Addiction 1990. Second was Nine inch nails, Smashing pumpkins (Billy had hair longer than mine!), followed by the first Lollapalooza.
I will admit most of those bands had their start at the end of the eighties...heralded the end of hair metal. But also the rise of country (and not good stuff like Willie, Cash, and hell, I'll even admit I liked some Kenny Rogers) which was the best selling genre followed by hip-hop for the decade.

And I will admit that SOME classic movies came from the eighties. People have listed most of them already, but Spielberg, Lucas, Scott (although Alien was 79 I think) Cameron (before he became pretentious and out done by his wife, who needs mentioning more, Gale Ann Hurd), and I'm even going to add Dino de Laurentis and his wife. We wouldnt know Arnold Schwarzenegger and his portrayal of Conan without them. And even cheesy horror became classic. Oh, and last but not least, John Carpenter (and again yes he technically got his first hit in the 70's...but he created JACK FREAKING BURTON!)

I could still watch all of those on vhs in the nineties, though.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

I saw Queen in '78.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: natalia
a reply to: AnnieWolf19
I think some of the 80's outfits were awesome.... But some not so much... Then some music was good and some not..

I like the 80's cause I was born in 1984. I think that's neat that I'm an 80's baby.. I wouldn't wanna go back..

I wanna move forward and live day to day..

You gotta love George Orwell then

edit on 18-5-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

all that you said

and if a cop did one of their modern style beat downs, they would have been FIRED. the whole town would of been furious.

The lifestyle for working families was AWESOME and tenfold better than today.

Put me in 1970 and let me live that 20 year period over again. The 60s were probably pretty great also, but i wasnt around and have no reference. Except that America was VERY much BETTER.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: 19KTankCommander
a reply to: intrepid
Don't know about the 70"s , Oil crisis, end of Vietnam, Nixon, Ford and Carter, blame Nixon for Wal-Mart and China, he started this mess when it comes to American Made, Can't really think of anything off of the top of my head about Ford but Carter was a lam duck President with his Peanuts and Subsidies, and his drunk brother and Billy Beer. Cold war tensions were high, Unemployment started to get high.

If Music is the only thing that came out of the 70"s I can only agree on that with you.

Actually, it was Sam Walton who pulled the wool over people's eyes and started off his stores bragging about how many made in America goods they sold. It was only after he and his kin killed the small businesses did he make the switch to Chinese goods.

Ford pardoned everyone associated with Watergate. Carter told the truth that our economy was stagnant, no one wants the truth. Cold War tensions under his administration were low. His successor amped them to extreme levels during the early eighties, had the first trillion dollar budget for arms buildup.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I wasn't even born in the 80's and I want to go back.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
"Goonies never say die" "I am the greatest swordsman that ever lived" "humperdink, humperdink, humperdink" "ducktales a woo ooo" "neomaxizoomdweebie" I can go on and on, the movies and cartoons of the eighties are perhaps the best thing about them.

I was born in 78, and I love the 80's. look back on it fondly, the music, the movies, the record stores, the clothes...come on the scrunchie socks, multicolored cut off shorts, jean jackets...wait maybe the clothes were not that stylish, but I loved them anyways.

In California life was good then, we played kickball in the empty streets, rode our bikes on dare I say it....the sidewalks. Four candybars for a dollar, movies with popcorn and a soda 8.00 total.

I have said before that one thing I would do if I ever had a time machine is go back to the eighties and spend the whole day at the mall shopping, i love big hair so probably get my hair done and glamour shots, lol. Then maybe go see a Tiffany concert.

I love the eighties, the 90's too but they were not as innocent

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The eighties were the best times of my life. I was in my 20s, I went to college and partied like an animal, I had my children, I was thin and cute....the movies were fun, the music was fun, and I have a load of really great memories from that decade.

However, I hated Ronald Reagan, I hated the whole yuppie thing, and the worship of money. I despised the young republicans with their Izod shirts with the collar standing up, and how people who were poor or had problems were kicked to the curb.

Like every decade, it had it's good times and bad times. But when I think of my college years and all the fun stuff I did, I gotta say, it was the 80s for me.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: the owlbear

I saw Queen in '78.

Jealous.
The 70's gave us Queen.
But they also gave us John Denver and the years of inescapable "Rocky Mountain High"(good musician, but damn, you couldn't escape that song in the 70's in the US)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It depends what criteria you are using.

There's too much to weigh up.

If we just consider fashion styles and music, the 80s were absolutely horrendous.

All that hair and spandex...and that was just the men.

The 70s were the best for music, hands down. The best contemporary music came out of the 70s, no question.

Fashion-wise...not so good.

Platform shoes, long hair, Oxford bags - not a good look for men.

I quite enjoyed the late 90s (95 to 2000).

Something going on then, bit of a frisson in the air.

It was a Roman candle that burned itself out very quickly.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

Just leave the disco back in the eighties. All the other stuff in the eighties was just fine.

Disco was the 70's wasn't it?

I love the 80's. I was a teenager in the mid to late 80's and was great! The music, the concerts, the best time of my life.

My first concert was Jane's Addiction 1990. Second was Nine inch nails, Smashing pumpkins (Billy had hair longer than mine!), followed by the first Lollapalooza.
I will admit most of those bands had their start at the end of the eighties...heralded the end of hair metal. But also the rise of country (and not good stuff like Willie, Cash, and hell, I'll even admit I liked some Kenny Rogers) which was the best selling genre followed by hip-hop for the decade.

And I will admit that SOME classic movies came from the eighties. People have listed most of them already, but Spielberg, Lucas, Scott (although Alien was 79 I think) Cameron (before he became pretentious and out done by his wife, who needs mentioning more, Gale Ann Hurd), and I'm even going to add Dino de Laurentis and his wife. We wouldnt know Arnold Schwarzenegger and his portrayal of Conan without them. And even cheesy horror became classic. Oh, and last but not least, John Carpenter (and again yes he technically got his first hit in the 70's...but he created JACK FREAKING BURTON!)

I could still watch all of those on vhs in the nineties, though.

One of my first concerts was Lollapalooza. We saw Smashing Pumpkins the night before the touring keyboardist died (amazing show) and my wife and I already have tickets for NIN/Soundgarden this summer (4th time seeing NIN, last time was last summer at Made in America). The absolute best was seeing Rage Against the Machine in 2007 at Rock the Bells in NYC.

The 80's was great for movies and some TV shows, but it was virtually a barren desert for music sandwiched between the 70's and 90's. Alien was '79 but Aliens was '86.

edit on 2014-5-18 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Aliens was Cameron and Hurd. I remember 86.
"GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER!"

Went to the first four Lollapaloozas, skipped Woodstock in 94.
I was going to go to Soungarden/NIN...I dont know yet. I'd have to go to New Jersey. Ewww....

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I guess you have a point but....all those things you mentioned did not really effect the American people as much as all the BS that goes on today, Revolution in Iran, they been doing this for centuries nothing new there. War in Afghanistan that was Russia's problem maybe we could of learned something from that, Iran Contra, we should of had better intel back then since we were supply weapons not only to Afghanistan and Iraq but poor Oliver North was the fall guy, The War on drugs has been going on since the 60's,

Did any of the above effect the ordinary people? From what I have read from above not really seems to me a lot of people agree that they enjoyed themselves in the 80,

Today the government is more in people business than ever before. In the 80 the government actually had to go out to the field to get intel, today they sit in their office.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Everybody had money in the 80's.

The dot.com boom was in full swing.

I would go back right now.
We definitely remember a different 80's
I grew up in extreme poverty in the 80's, yet, I was one of the few to have a computer during that time thanks to my grandmothers husband at that time. Also thanks to him I was one of the first people to have the internet back before it was the internet and that wasn't until 1990. In fact, I don't even think that qualified as the internet back then. It was at least another 10 years before the dot.com boom.

I wouldn't want to go back to the 80's, the fact they are bringing back 80's fashion is terrifying.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Sure I had some good times in the 80's.
There was some very good music but I've got to say that barring a handful of notable exceptions musically the 80's were pretty bloody awful.
Thatcher and Major were screwing this country over big time and if I'm being honest it was all a bit dark, depressing and at times very, very violent.

I had a much better time in the 90's and the noughties.

This song about sums it up for me;

www.songlyrics.com...

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: the owlbear

The 80's was great for movies and some TV shows, but it was virtually a barren desert for music sandwiched between the 70's and 90's. Alien was '79 but Aliens was '86.

It may have been a barren desert in the U.S. for music in the 80's but it certainly wasn't in the U.K. :-

The Smiths
The Jam
Bowie
Queen
Floyd
Eurythmics
Spandau Ballet
The Communards
Dire Straits
New Order
James
Joy Division
Flock Of Seagulls
The Cure
Happy Mondays
Stone Roses
The Police
Depeche Mode
Elvis Costello
Simple Minds

To name but a few.

edit on 18-5-2014 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join