It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the truth as to the safe daily amount of alcohol we can consume?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
A few weeks ago I read an article that contained the claim that we can get away with drinking way more than the typical amount that is said to be safe.

In the last 6 months, two of my male in-laws died mostly because of excessive alcohol consumption. I have been a steady drinker for 35 years, drinking way more than the suggested safe limit. Not an out of control drinker, but way more than is suggested.

Next week, I am getting a blood test to check out the health of my liver. This will be a doctor's visit that is very important to me.

So what do you think is the true safe amount of alcohol we can consume? Or are there other factors that effect the answer such as diet, fitness level, emotional state?

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
This is only my opinion.

But I think it comes down to genetics.

Your DNA determines how much your body can take.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Other factors. Like if youre big, small, heavy, thin, older, younger...there is no 1 limit for everyone.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Given the high potential for addiction and a host of associated medical problems (not to mention the effects of alcohol on society generally), it's probably best avoided entirely.

I know most people don't like hearing that, but...

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
None. Your body is not meant to subsist on it. Glycemic effect is another problem with drinking, as alcohol drives blood sugar through the roof rather quickly. Another issue is cholesterol, which is created by the simple sugars. Especially if you are a rice/potato/bread eater too. So that fatty liver...could also mean blood pressure, heart, and stroke risks.

Does that mean its going to kill you tomorrow? No, but it does mean that if you have any other factors predisposing you to diabetes, blood pressure/heart problems, or liver/gall problems, you are increasing risk. The health benefits found in various drinks (wine is popular) can be found in other foods. Since there are known risks, and very few benefits beyond effect, it would seem that drinking is an unneccesary risk.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
First, what do you THINK is the safe limit? What is your gender? Women should NEVER have more than 2 drinks in a day.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

depending on body weight 3 to 4 drinks a day maybe five or six if its quality ingrediants, this is also assuming ur burning off said empty calories

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I have been a steady drinker for 35 years, drinking way more than the suggested safe limit. Not an out of control drinker, but way more than is suggested. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

This sentence tells me you're in denial that you have a drinking problem. I have a brother in-law who talks the same way, yet his marriage is falling apart and his kids have lost all respect for him. His mother and brother were both alcoholics and died from it. It seems like if you have a parent or grandparent who was an alcoholic, chances are greater that their children have a higher risk of becoming alcoholics.

Neither of my parents nor my wife and I are fond of alcohol. I only drink socially, and even than will only have 1 or 2 drinks at the most. I don't have a problem ordering a water or soda when I'm at a bar or party. I never developed a taste for beer so it's hard for me to understand how people really enjoy the taste, or can drink five or six beers at a sitting. Again, I think it's your genetic make up or a learned behavior due to the earlier years when young people drank for the "effects" rather than enjoying the taste of the beverage. As a young college student, I used to toss my beer when people were not looking just to fit in with the crowd. It's kind of weird, but my son doesn't like the taste of beer either, so it does seem genetics does play a part.

This may be a wake-up call for you. It would certainly be for me! Addiction comes in all forms, whether it be drugs, cigarette smoking, alcohol, or food. The first step is to recognize the problem and to seek help. I think losing a couple of male in-laws due to alcohol, has gotten your attention and you're now questioning whether you're on the same path.

This could be a turning point in your life. Take care of yourself and hope your blood test results are good!

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I personally think the "safe" amount is kind of arbitrary, like safe caffeine amounts to a degree. I think some people's systems can handle more than others can (obviously) but there is a point where too much of either goes beyond what the body can handle with relative ease. Hence the liver issues that crop up in drinkers, it can't take any more.

I like a good Guinness, but I never have more than 2-3. And that's over roughly as many hours (give or take) depending on how much I've eaten and how hydrated I am. The drunk feeling is all fun & games, until you pay for it afterward. I don't understand why people drink to the point of vomiting, or next-day hangovers. Both are the absolute worst feelings in the world, I don't understand that kind of self-torture.
edit on 5/18/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I've been drinking for maybe 8 years pretty regularly. I averaged maybe 10 beers a night. I'm around 30 and I can tell I've done damage to my cardiovascular system. I'm avoiding going to the doctor at the moment, but if I work too hard some days I get pain in my left arm and my heart feels funny. My stomach and gut feel much less able to digest food properly.

So for me I've cut way down with the help of a plant. My body is responding in a way that tells me I was killing myself before. Now cuts are healing at a more normal pace. My heart is slowly able to handle more stress.

Down to about 4 drinks a day.
I only hope I didn't do too much damage, as my family does have a history of heart attacks.

I'd go with don't drink any amount of alcohol on a daily basis. Use it as a treat. Or if you are me, quit drinking all together when you can, because you will always be addicted to it.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I used to drink a lot. Still do when I crack open a bottle, which happens maybe every three to six months. Not a binger, but from an outsiders perspective ... YMMV. I never saw any harm done. When I stopped being a regular, I didn't feel any better or any worse. No telling what role advancing age might have had. I can say this: I certainly feel it the next morning more than before.

Now I've got a wallet full of dough at the end of the week I didn't have before.

Take a full-on break, and come back and tell us what you think.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

I'm avoiding going to the doctor at the moment, but if I work too hard some days I get pain in my left arm and my heart feels funny. My stomach and gut feel much less able to digest food properly.

This is a SCREAMING warning that you need to be evaluated by at the very least your GP and preferably a cardiologist. You've got symptoms of reduced blood flow to your heart and probably have moderate atherosclerosis (blocked coronary arteries). People who ignore this tend to be the ones who have a 'sudden massive' heart attack at 40. It's not necessarily related to the prior and current alcohol intake but more likely to genetic patterns. Get thee to a doctor NOW and knock off the 'four drinks a day'; that's excessive in itself.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Given the high potential for addiction and a host of associated medical problems (not to mention the effects of alcohol on society generally), it's probably best avoided entirely.

I know most people don't like hearing that, but...

Actually 2 drinks a day keeps the doctor away. Cheap beer may not be the best for you, but craft brews are actually healthy. 2 drinks a day lowers blood pressure and is healthy for the brain. I am a chef at a micro brewery, and you'd be surprised how many people drink responsibly, and maybe not so surprised that people in good health with careers in all sorts of medical fields as well.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I choose quality over quantity. I love drinking beer. If it knocks a few years off my life, so be it. So far I seem to be in exceptionally good health.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Rum is the best. Period. It gets you all warm and fuzzy. Never had a hangover drinking good rum either.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Other factors. Like if youre big, small, heavy, thin, older, younger...there is no 1 limit for everyone.

Safe limit depends on many things.

Are you in a bar, at home, driving a bus, cleaning a loaded gun, in charge of a nuclear submarine etc.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

I will take your word for it and get checked out.
I don't have a GP or insurance, but I'll do something I guess.

I am a little scared... or a lot, which is why I was avoiding this.

hmm.

Thanks for the heads up.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Ah...you've helped explain my point. Different amounts on different people and under different circumstances.

top topics

join