It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Musharraf a Dictator?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
what's your opinion on this guy? Is he a dictator or not? I'm questioning this, because there have many recent demands to have Musharraf give up one of his positions, most likely the Army chief by the end of this year. I also question the relationship between this possible dictator and the US government since we seem to have clear stance against dictators in other countries

In 1999 Pervez Musharraf overthrew the democratically elected prime minister at the time, Nawaz Sharif, in a coup and appointed himself President of Pakistan in 2001. He is also the Chief of the Pakistani Military. Right now in Pakistan there are laws which do not limit the amount of time that Musharraf can serve as president.

So in my opinion this guy fits the profile of dictator, why is this a good dictator and not a bad one like Castro or Kim? Why isn't there any public outcry against him?

btw I understand he is our ally and so exceptions are being made, but should Musharraf change policies are we still going to feel the same?

[edit on 11-29-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think he is a dictator but as long as it keep the US happy and satisfy the US is rewarding him with arms and equipment.

The day he turns nasty, and defiant of the US he will be put to rest, but not until he killed hundreds of thousand of people like Saddam did.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Musharraf is a dictator there is no public out cry against him because post 9-11 he has cooperated with the American led war on terror.
American politicans are slow learners in the 1980's the USA was on good terms with Saddams Iraq.

Is Pakistan using the aid to fight Terrorism or keep an eye on india?

Pakistan on Nov. 22 welcomed U.S. Congressional approval of military aid worth $300 million.

"We welcome this decision by the U.S. congress," foreign ministry spokesman Masood Khan told Agence France-Presse. "This goes to show that Pakistan-U.S. cooperation is on track. Those who were predicting hiccups along the road have been proven wrong."

The U.S. Senate late Nov. 20 approved a $388 billion budget, which includes military aid to Pakistan and its war-torn neighbor Afghanistan. The allocation for Pakistan is to designed to bolster the capabilities of its armed forces in hunting down suspected al-Qaida members along the Afghan-Pakistani border.
full story

new topics

join