It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the real Michael Sam please stand up

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Are you all about football Mike? Or did you just come out for the fame and fortune?

“I feel duped. Again, he’s got a website up selling t-shirts – it’s a merchandise store. This all looks like a cash grab more than a guy that wants to be a great football player as he has said. I don’t wanna come down too hard on Michael Sam, he comes from a very difficult background with his family and as we saw on draft day he was not surrounded by family as most people are on draft day, he was surrounded by two of his handlers and his boyfriend. You have to wonder if he’s not being manipulated and influenced because everyone that I know that knows him as a football player says he’s very passionate about football, but here he is now as a 7th-round pick, a guy who is a longshot to make the roster, he’s now involving himself with a reality TV show, he’s got a website up hawking t-shirts, his agents cut a deal to be producers on this show, his publicist cut a deal to be a producer on this show, again it just doesn’t pass the smell test in terms of authenticity. It’s disappointing because I think whoever is maneuvering him needs to understand, the most important thing he has to do is make the football team. If he doesn’t make the football team all their causes, concerns about the LGBT community, the selling of merchandise, it all goes away.”
tampa.cbslocal.com...

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Sigh..

I don't know him personally, though i wish i did... i also don't know much about Football as i really only started watching it last year. but from what I've heard many people considered him a higher talent than just a 7th rounder.

so many people want to jump on him about what he says, he says he is about Football and people call him a fake and just wait for any opportunity to "Call him out". if he said he wanted to be a figure for the LGBT youth and sports, people would consider him a ""Figure Head" that is using his sexuality to force him into the NFL to push his "Agenda"

he is proverbially "damned if he does and damned if he doesn't"

he may not have anything to do with Merchandise, and he may. but i believe he can be 100% Football and still have other ventures... like i'm sure almost every other Athlete does

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket
There was an article out yesterday about it all being scripted, and that is why they were at his house filming to begin with. He apparently had a whole show ready to go on Oprah's channel. They withheld that informarmation from the draft people, and that in itself seems a bit curious.

I couldn't care less, one way or the other, about his sexuality, but I do care when things start to feel manipulated, crafted, and created, for a political outcome, which this most certainly is, now.

Then, one must stand back and ask themselves, "Why? What is the purpose?"

Of course, you have the supporting political background, like the congratulatory phonecall from a certain someone, who is also close to Oprah. And again, one must stand back and review the picture as a whole. What exactly, is the agenda here?

You have him already having filmed a whole made for TV series based on his life, ready to roll out, that has since been shelved. Interesting.

You have an entire merchandise line.

You have political backing.

You have the secrecy.

Something just doesn't smell right about the entire thing.

Honestly, it doesn't fare well, in the end, for the LGBT thing, IMO, because it reveals a sneakiness and underhandedness that was totally unecessary. Unless, of course, it was manufactured for a reason.

So, you have to ask, was it for money? Was it for forming a political outcome, and if so, for whom? Who stands to gain something by having all of this manufactured, behind the scenes, politicization and secrecy, and eventual scripting, of this mans' life? What was the desired goal here?

I am just not reaching a solid conclusion yet, though I am still looking at the picture as a whole, and not any one event. It helps, and you see it all in a much different light. Especially when you consider the real money (Oprah) and power (the WH), behind all of this. They did not operate exclusively of each other. So, did the NFL? They made the claim it was a secret. Was it? Really? Or, was the whole "waiting for days" and tension build up also intentional and scripted? Once you discover you have been manipulated and lied to about so many things, it's impossible to take anything else they reveal at face value. One must question the veracity of everything, now. It is not, and never was, just about football.

Most people don't like finding out they have been played.

edit on 17-5-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Libertygal
You make some valid points. It smells like everyone involved is out for the money, including the Rams.
I seriously question whether Sam ever plays another game of football.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

but i believe he can be 100% Football and still have other ventures...

As a marginal player who is now most certainly an insant multimillionaire through TV deals and such, I doubt your belief.
But I guess we'll see.

To be honest, if I were him I probably wouldve done the same thing.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The show hasn't been filmed yet, it was going to document his life away from the practices and such. they were at his house filming the day he got drafted but it wasn't already filmed ready to go once he got drafted.

his Agenda, as far as i know is to make the Team and play Football which he loves, yes he wants to be a Role Model for Youth and LGBT sports but i don't believe it's a "Sinister Agenda"

I wonder out loud, do people have a problem that he is a 7th round pick with this Attention, or because he is a Gay Football player. now this has nothing to do with "Homophobia" or "Bigotry" or if you like or dislike a Gay Football player, but if he was picked in the First round, would he be called a distraction? would his Documentary get as much criticism?

or if he was straight and picked in the 7th round would he equally get criticism?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Tim Tebow...

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

The show hasn't been filmed yet, it was going to document his life away from the practices and such. they were at his house filming the day he got drafted but it wasn't already filmed ready to go once he got drafted.

his Agenda, as far as i know is to make the Team and play Football which he loves, yes he wants to be a Role Model for Youth and LGBT sports but i don't believe it's a "Sinister Agenda"

I wonder out loud, do people have a problem that he is a 7th round pick with this Attention, or because he is a Gay Football player. now this has nothing to do with "Homophobia" or "Bigotry" or if you like or dislike a Gay Football player, but if he was picked in the First round, would he be called a distraction? would his Documentary get as much criticism?

or if he was straight and picked in the 7th round would he equally get criticism?

With his college record he should have been at the very least a third round pick. His coming out defiantly had an effect on the draft.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I would do the same thing if all I heard was every one saying that I am not going to make the team i got drafted to.
He has to make some money some how right?
People act like they wouldn't take full advantage of the situation if they were in it.

This is america, cash rules everything around me, dollar dollar bill yall!
You think all of this was his idea 100%?
I am willing to bet he is just saying yes to the offers he is getting from others that want to make the $$ in this situation

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime
If Im a serious athlete looking to make the team Im most definately not signing up for a reality TV show right out of the gates.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
You think all of this was his idea 100%?

No, just 47.5% of it.

But yes, I mentioned a few replies ago that I would probably do the same thing in his situation.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I find this whole situation disappointing. He had the total moral high ground. He has now given it up, and opened the door for more bigotry...

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
So what,

Football careers are very short.

I don't blame him for cashing in at all.

If he is good, he will make the team. If not he can sell t shirts and be on tv.

It beats working a day job, slaving for the man making chump chamge barely paying the bills.

Sounds like he is business savvy.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01
So what,

I just posted this because the guy appeared to be a beacon of hope for many people.

Now he just looks like another sell out who will probably never even play professional football.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Him having a Documentary before he was Drafted doesn't make him any less of a person of hope for any LGBT sports player.

it seems people are looking for excuses to cast him off and say "He was, but now"

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Him having a Documentary before he was Drafted doesn't make him any less of a person of hope for any LGBT sports player.

it seems people are looking for excuses to cast him off and say "He was, but now"
I dont know about that. Being disappointed by this does not mean a person like me thinks any less of him or hopes any less success for him.

It, sometimes, can just mean that a person like me is disappointed in how this has been handled.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I just heard on ESPN radio that he declined the documentary offer.

I don't know if there is more than one documentary but he did decline it.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

originally posted by: liejunkie01
So what,

I just posted this because the guy appeared to be a beacon of hope for many people.

Now he just looks like another sell out who will probably never even play professional football.

Well we will see about that.

I love how people call people "sell outs" . He has to put food on the table somehow.

As a sheetmetal worker that puts my body through hell, not comparable to a football player, but I would take every avenue to make money that I could if I were in his position.

Just sayin.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

He is in a position were he is either going to get support or disliked. and we don't really know how he is being handled and what his contracts with his agents are Etc. he may have not wanted to do any documentary, and he may have wanted to

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

The show hasn't been filmed yet,...

“Everything seems orchestrated now. We didn’t
know that there was a documentary TV show
already in the process of being filmed and now
we do. Now we judge everything in that light
and we have to wonder, was it genuine
emotion? Or is this a part of a reality TV show?”

tampa.cbslocal.com...

I think some of the first parts were ready, based on other things I have read, but, I have not read a lot in great detail.

edit on 17-5-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join