It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suddenly my laptop claims my copy of Windows is "not genuine"....HELP!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Just call Microsoft dude. That's all you have to do.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Socrato

Yeah, well....
I will, if absolutely necessary....but, man.....have you ever had to call them? LOL
Try using their site to get some assistance....it is very "circular"
to say the least....

But yes, if I must, I will.....(they want money...I would rather fix for free.....I bet they want money)

[See my point?]

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

This maybe a problem with your bios battery.

Just ring MS and talk to them.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I don't think so.....I'm not having many of the problems associated with a bios battery problem (e.g. losing time on the cp clock...seems to be very common when bios battery fails)

Maybe I am mistaken.....am not familiar (really) with it and a quick search and a bit of surface reading was all I did....

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

have yo made any major changes to you laptop recently? like new hard drives, ram etc?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

They are actually pretty quick and efficient on the phone. Try it.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

No. None at all actually.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Doing it now.
Will update with what they say.

Here's to hoping you're right about their efficiency via phone.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Talking to microsoft is your best bet but if you really, really dont want to do that (for whatever reason) or they refuse to resolve the problem (unlikely) you can try this

But this is a last resort..

1. Just press windows key on your keyboard
2. type cmd in the RUN(Now you see here cmd)
3. Right click on cmd and choose "Run as administrator."

4. (After cmd has opened) type the following command in cmd

"slmgr -rearm"

and hit enter.
5. Now you see a new msg.Click ok.

After that restart you system.
when window is starting,you see a notification to activate your window.Click on "cancel" option here in the msg window and lets start the system.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

IF you get the Final-Windows-Frustration ...

I have a 1-Year-Old-Desktop-Computer. It came with Windows8 ... AND ... I got the "Final-Windows-Frustration.

I tried Linux Mint-(MATE), I didn't need any non-standard drivers (except for my printer) ... AND ... I won't go back.

I also had a friend with a 4 year old 3-Gig memory laptop. The last 1-Gig memory failed. 2-Gig wasn't enough for Windows7. LinuxMint-(Cinnamon and MATE) worked fined ( no specials drivers needed ).

-
Opinion: Microsoft has some Serious-(FREE)-Competition; ... ( and some Linux-Distros have come a Long-Long-Long-WAY ).

edit on 17-5-2014 by FarleyWayne because: Added "Linux-Distros" LINK.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

lol there's always one..

Come to the dark side luke..we are lonely.

edit on 17-5-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

You were right.....They were fast and efficient!

Happy to report, the guy at Microsoft fixed it. He disabled something at start up, used my product key that the cp was not accepting and it accepted it.....after he had disabled whatever it was....lol

Fixed and glad I called them.

Now, what to do about this paranoia that will surely stem from thinking "Roy" still has remote control of my cp

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

To all those who took time to offer up some advice....
Fast, civil responses are the reason I come to ATS first and foremost.....and the fact that there are MANY brilliant minds here.

Thank you all.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Good that it is fixed

edit on 17-5-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jakal26

To all those who took time to offer up some advice....
Fast, civil responses are the reason I come to ATS first and foremost.....and the fact that there are MANY brilliant minds here.

Thank you all.

Glad to see that you got this fixed, sorry about not really coming back until now to check on things, it was early in the morning and I took a "nap" lol.

MS has pretty decent phone support, as long as you aren't trying to get them to support anything that's too old.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: FarleyWayne

IF you get the Final-Windows-Frustration ...

I have a 1-Year-Old-Desktop-Computer. It came with Windows8 ... AND ... I got the "Final-Windows-Frustration.

I tried Linux Mint-(MATE), I didn't need any non-standard drivers (except for my printer) ... AND ... I won't go back.

I also had a friend with a 4 year old 3-Gig memory laptop. The last 1-Gig memory failed. 2-Gig wasn't enough for Windows7. LinuxMint-(Cinnamon and MATE) worked fined ( no specials drivers needed ).

-
Opinion: Microsoft has some Serious-(FREE)-Competition; ... ( and some Linux-Distros have come a Long-Long-Long-WAY ).

Same here. I was dedicated windows fan, but tried Mint (KDE) just out of interest, NO DRIVERS needed!! Everything just works like its supposed to.
Its faster too, much faster!
If I do happen to need windows I fire up a virtual (virtual box), but thats not very often now.

Bet of all, ITS FREE

(post by carissamolly removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join