It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Granite Mountain Facility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The Granite Mountain Facility is a large vault built by the Mormon church that is burrowed into the side of the Wasatch Mountains. Is supposed purpose is to hold genealogical records in a place that can withstand a nuclear blast.

www.lightplanet.com...
The Vault, as it is commonly known, is a massive excavation reaching 600 feet into the north side of the canyon. Constructed between 1958 and 1963 at a cost of $2 million, it consists of two main areas. The office and laboratory section sits beneath an overhang of about 300 feet of granite and houses shipping and receiving docks, microfilm processing and evaluation stations, and administrative offices. Under 700 feet of stone, the Vault proper is situated farther back in the mountain behind the laboratory section and consists of six chambers (each 190 feet long, 25 feet wide, and 25 feet high), which are accessed by one main entrance and two smaller passageways. Specially constructed Mosler doors weighing fourteen tons (at the main entrance) and nine tons (guarding the two smaller entrances) are designed to withstand a nuclear blast. In the six chambers, nature maintains constant humidity and temperature readings optimum for microfilm storage.

Each chamber contains banks of steel cabinets ten feet high. As of February 1991, approximately 1.7 million rolls of microfilm, in 16mm and 35mm formats, were housed in two of the six chambers. The collection increases by 40,000 rolls per year. Alternate media, such as optical disks with greater capacity for storage than microfilm, are being considered for use and may make further expansion of the Vault unnecessary.

Note that despite all the security features, these guys were able to make it to the front door.

I find it odd that they would spend this much money just to keep track of family histories. It also seems strange that they would need a laboratory section in a place that is primarily designed for storage purposes.

Another thing that caught my eye was the fact that Dick Cheney was apparently taken here immediately following the attacks on September 11th as it was deemed a "secure location." How would the military/government be able to asses the security of a location that is a completely civilian enterprise? Why was he taken here when Cheyenne Mountain was so close? Also, a USGS seismometer was installed here ten days after the attacks (which may or may not mean anything).

I have never put much faith into the tunnels that are supposed to run underneath the American Southwest, but this seems as good an entrance as any. In any case, it doesn't add up to me. I would bet that there is more going on here than meets the eye. It would be great to hear from any former employees or LDS members to get their take on this.

thesugarbeet.com...
www.seis.utah.edu...
www.angelfire.com... -- Take with a grain of salt...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
that last site is BS, he has nothing to support his claims.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
As A Mormon, I find this all sort of hilarious, we get the polygamy jokes all the time. But the Granite Mountain vault was chosen for its wonderful qualities of insulation and the abilities of protecting important information in the event of severe disasters, and we are very proud of the facility.

Paul

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The lab would be used for restoring microfilm. Quite common.

I suppose DC would have been taken there because it's somewhere that nobody would expect him to be. If you were planning similtanious (argh my spellings off tonight), wouldn't you attack the place where you know, or the person is most likely to be?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:23 AM
link   
seems perfectly logical to me...besides the fact that the Mormon Church employs a security staff for their offices, temples, and other major facilities that is second to none, they take their jobs seriously.

In fact, Mormon church leaders such as the President of the Mormon Church travel with their own security.

When President Hinckley was in our town about 5 years ago, you would have thought it was President Bush visiting, they called in local police and sheriff's deputies in addition to Mormon Church security.

Hope the information helps-

Paul

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Do you know of any major facilities in New Zealand, drpsmartin2911?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Maybe, but it just seems like overkill to me. Of course, I may also be reading into it too much, but building a bunker in the side of a mountain for genealogical purposes seems odd to me. Of course, I'm not mormon either, so maybe I am underestimating the religious value of geneoloy.

As for the vice president, it's true that is probably the last place I would expect him to be. But I can't image that there isn't an installation somewhere that the DoD has built specifically for that purpose that isn't publc knowledge. And it still doesn't make sense that the military/government would know how secure a private installation such as this is.

edit - drunk grammarization

[edit on 12/11/04 by para]

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have no idea about any facilities in New Zealand other than the fact I believe the LDS Church (Mormons) have a temple in NZ.

We place a VERY high value on geneological research, and it has become a very celebrated hobby in the US for many, and there are many that have taken training to do just that and are certified to do geneology.

Paul

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This is just my ignorance being curious, so please don't be offended.

There is a difference between a regular LDS Church and a Temple?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The VP was not taken to that location. He was taken here:
www.post-gazette.com...

Originally posted by para
The Granite Mountain Facility is a large vault built by the Mormon church that is burrowed into the side of the Wasatch Mountains. Is supposed purpose is to hold genealogical records in a place that can withstand a nuclear blast.

www.lightplanet.com...
The Vault, as it is commonly known, is a massive excavation reaching 600 feet into the north side of the canyon. Constructed between 1958 and 1963 at a cost of $2 million, it consists of two main areas. The office and laboratory section sits beneath an overhang of about 300 feet of granite and houses shipping and receiving docks, microfilm processing and evaluation stations, and administrative offices. Under 700 feet of stone, the Vault proper is situated farther back in the mountain behind the laboratory section and consists of six chambers (each 190 feet long, 25 feet wide, and 25 feet high), which are accessed by one main entrance and two smaller passageways. Specially constructed Mosler doors weighing fourteen tons (at the main entrance) and nine tons (guarding the two smaller entrances) are designed to withstand a nuclear blast. In the six chambers, nature maintains constant humidity and temperature readings optimum for microfilm storage.

Each chamber contains banks of steel cabinets ten feet high. As of February 1991, approximately 1.7 million rolls of microfilm, in 16mm and 35mm formats, were housed in two of the six chambers. The collection increases by 40,000 rolls per year. Alternate media, such as optical disks with greater capacity for storage than microfilm, are being considered for use and may make further expansion of the Vault unnecessary.

Note that despite all the security features, these guys were able to make it to the front door.

I find it odd that they would spend this much money just to keep track of family histories. It also seems strange that they would need a laboratory section in a place that is primarily designed for storage purposes.

Another thing that caught my eye was the fact that Dick Cheney was apparently taken here immediately following the attacks on September 11th as it was deemed a "secure location." How would the military/government be able to asses the security of a location that is a completely civilian enterprise? Why was he taken here when Cheyenne Mountain was so close? Also, a USGS seismometer was installed here ten days after the attacks (which may or may not mean anything).

I have never put much faith into the tunnels that are supposed to run underneath the American Southwest, but this seems as good an entrance as any. In any case, it doesn't add up to me. I would bet that there is more going on here than meets the eye. It would be great to hear from any former employees or LDS members to get their take on this.

thesugarbeet.com...
www.seis.utah.edu...
www.angelfire.com... -- Take with a grain of salt...

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by para
Of course, I'm not mormon either, so maybe I am underestimating the religious value of geneoloy.

The Mormons believe geneology is one of the most important things one can do in one's life. They believe that in order for everyone to be resurrected in the last days, certain rituals must be performed. Those that died without having the rituals performed must have them done by living people "in their names". An example of this is Baptisms for the Dead, which I have done myself. Basically, I got baptised about fifty times, in the name of fifty different people who had died without being baptised. And so, for all these rituals to be performed for everyone who has died without them, extensive geneology work must be done. The main goal of Mormons is to "save" as many as possible, and in order to achieve this they must do as much geneology as possible. Most if not all Mormon church buildings have a geneological research "team" kind of. Basically, every Mormon has a "calling", or job in the church, such as Bishop, or Sunday school teacher, or the person who keeps track of all the tithing and stuff. Geneology research is one of those callings. In fact, it's my grandma's calling.

Needless to say, geneology is extremely important to the Mormons, it is something they believe must be done before anyone can go to Heaven. I think that's reason enough to keep the records in a secure mountain.

However, I'm not going to lie and say I don't think there's something else going on here. Although not many people who don't actually work there have ever been allowed in, they have allowed a few researchers inside who were technically not affiliated with the Mormon church. I have my own theories on the Mormon church, and as a former Mormon of 16 years, I think I know as well as anybody that there could very well be "something else" going on.

Originally posted by DeltaNine
This is just my ignorance being curious, so please don't be offended.

There is a difference between a regular LDS Church and a Temple?

Yes, a Mormon "regular church" is the meeting place utilized every Sunday for Sacrament Meeting and Sunday schools, and also for various other meetings among the members of that ward/branch (group of members in a designated geographic area) throughout the week. The Temple is a place where Mormons go to perform "sacred" rituals, such as Baptisms for the Dead, Endowments, and marriages/Sealings. It is considered the "house of God" and you can only enter it with a Temple Recommend which you get by having an interview with your Bishop who decides whether you are worthy enough to enter the "house of God" or not.

[edit on 14/12/04 by an3rkist]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I suppose it makes it little more sense, but it still seems like a mountain bunker is overkill when they could have built a dedicated building somewhere instead.

ignorance is a plenty:
In the article you provided, it states that he likley directed his office from from there post 9/11, but not definitley. Also that article was written 12-16-01, still relativley close to the attacks, so I don't know if I could say for sure that he was taken there from the infomation given. I can't say that mine is 100% conclusive either, so if you have any more links it would be great to see them.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Yes, a Mormon "regular church" is the meeting place utilized every Sunday for Sacrament Meeting and Sunday schools, and also for various other meetings among the members of that ward/branch (group of members in a designated geographic area) throughout the week. The Temple is a place where Mormons go to perform "sacred" rituals, such as Baptisms for the Dead, Endowments, and marriages/Sealings. It is considered the "house of God" and you can only enter it with a Temple Recommend which you get by having an interview with your Bishop who decides whether you are worthy enough to enter the "house of God" or not.

Thanks!

Could you go into details about what you think the Church is up to?

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Oh wow I'm really late answering that question. Nobody probabky cares anymore. Lol. I have a suspicion that the Mormon Church is trying to take over the world. Actually it's not much of a suspicion, it's more of a fact. The "prophet" and founder of the Momron Church, Joseph Smith, received a revelation from God, which you can find somewhere in the Doctrine and Covenants, in which God tells him that one day the United States governement will collapse and the Mormons will have to save it. Obviously that's just this nation and not the world, but the Church has openly admitted to their goal of "converting" the entire world's population. I think there's some threads specifically on this topic...

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I was also raised in the church. I will be polite because it is the best way to be. I would just love to write what I feel but I will be nice.

I am sorry I can't write what I honestly feel about them in this context. I sat here for awhile and everything that I thought I could write would just make me sound like a jerk even though I would write it in a nice way. If only one side has an open mind there can't be much of a discussion.

There are tons of things hidden and lied about. Truth I think not. I will just quote some words from one of my favorite musicians. (Are you saved? Have you been told, right is the enemy? Too bad, Too late). That is a tidbit of my thougts. If we were in person I would let it rip.

Hell to me would be "getting saved" and having to spend all time and eternity with a bunch of self righteous mormons in the Celestial Kingdom. Pure and wholesome, can you understand where I'm going with this? They are the complete opposite of what goodness is.

But I respect every ones thougts and beliefs. I am not trying to start a fight just some freewilled thinking into the mix. I just asked Jesus if this cool and he said totally. Oh I forgot only the prophet can speak to Jesus.

I said I wouldn't be mean, but it just came out anyway. It is just food for thought, I love everyone I don't judge you. I am just speaking my mind to bring some excitement into this conversation.

I am looking forward to the Telestial Kingdom, sounds real fun.

new topics

top topics

join