It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Schools: $29,349 Per Pupil, 83% Not Proficient in Reading

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The nation's capitol Washington, D.C. spends enormous amounts of money "per pupil" and apparently gets a near -zero- return.

According to data from the National Center for Education Statistics students can hardly read or do simple math.

I think many big city public school systems are in the same boat.

Too much corruption on many levels is the problem IMO.

"Just get the job and keep your mouths shut and collect the benefits" is the motto of many employees and administrators.

Now what happens to these victimized students when they can't function in society ?

Perhaps this is part of the master plan to keep the public majority in a *non-competitive* herd ?

You would think all the educated and smart people running things could get better results.

The public schools in Washington, D.C., spent $29,349 per pupil in the 2010-2011 school year, according to the latest data from National Center for Education Statistics, but in 2013 fully 83 percent of the eighth graders in these schools were not "proficient" in reading and 81 percent were not "proficient" in math.

These are the government schools in our nation's capital city — where for decades politicians of both parties have obstreperously pushed for more federal involvement in education and more federal spending on education.

DC Schools: $29,349 Per Pupil, 83% Not Proficient in Reading

WHAT *IS* the Problem ?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Anyone who hasn't seen it ought to watch this vid, it explains what Common Core is all about, and what its doing to YOUR children.
Want to know why they're not learning so fast? Watch the vid.

Example from the vid.
Child who gets math correct has paper marked as wrong! The other children in her group got the math wrong, but got marked as correct!
The child who got the math right disagreed with her group, so she was marked as wrong. Those who thought as a group were awarded a correct mark!

Watch the vid, there's lots more like that, and MUCH worse too!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The yearly tuition at Sidwell Friends where Obama's daughters attend class is $29,442/year for Middle and High School. That only about a $100/year difference. Anyone want to guess what the percentage of children graduating from there who can't read is? I'll bet it's nowhere near 83%.

So, why aren't we just turning this education money into vouchers for parents to decide which schools their children will attend?

Oh, wait, DC used to have a voucher program, and Obama ended it as one of his first acts as president.

I know one of the reasons why. One of the top ten political doners in the nation is the NEA, the teachers' union. It donates almost exclusively to Democrats, and it's not in their best interests to let your little darlings go anywhere except into our highly socialized and highly corrupt public education system.
edit on 15-5-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
In 2008, DCPS was 84.4% Black, 9.4% Hispanic (of any race), 4.6% non-Hispanic White, and 1.6% of other races. I can't help but wonder if cultural differences about the importance of education are what we are really seeing here.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
In 2008, DCPS was 84.4% Black, 9.4% Hispanic (of any race), 4.6% non-Hispanic White, and 1.6% of other races. I can't help but wonder if cultural differences about the importance of education are what we are really seeing here.

You haven't actually seen the inside of any of the DC public schools have you?

I won't say there isn't any of that going on, but there is a powerful lot of corruption in the public school system nationwide. I was an inner city school teacher and when I got my first classroom I was almost three months into the term before I had the proper text books. I was one month into the term before a veteran teacher took pity on me and donated some dictionaries.

That's right - I started with 0 books, and I was supposed to be teaching Language Arts and Reading!

I got an eyeful of where the money didn't go and where it did all right.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Were you at a school with a budget of almost $30,000.00 per student? I understand most if not all inner city schools are underfunded but is that the case here? Of course D.C. is corrupt as all hell, the home of the original crack smoking mayor (suck it,Toronto!) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if school money was lining the pockets of dirty politicians.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

In 1998, KCMO was spending as much $11,700/child. That has only gone up. Even now, $11,700 would still be about $2,000/year more than the tuition at the private school we are looking at trying to send our son to. That private school has an over 90%i college acceptance rate with much less money per student. KCMO district has no accreditation currently if that tells you anything about the job they are doing. Also, you have to consider the much lower cost of living between DC and MO. $11,700 is a lot out here.

By and large, public school districts do much worse jobs with amounts per student comparable to the better private schools. The problem is not primarily one of funding as we are constantly led to believe. In fact, ever since the Dept. of Ed. was established, we have poured an ever increasing amount of money into public education for stagnant to decreasing returns.

The truth is that simply pouring money into the system is not a reform and does nothing to fix the problem.

Our public school system is pretty much a 100% socialized system, and where there is next to no choice, there is rampant corruption because there is no accountability. Your son or daughter is trapped in the school no matter how good a job they do, and they know it, so the main concern is simply getting theirs and not actually educating the children. Yes, there are some good districts and teachers, but there are far more bad ones that suck up the money.

edit on 15-5-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
When the child turns age 6,,
,the Government should write a one time **check for "$29,349",,
with the stipulation that the child must be able too:
1. read
2.write, cursive!
3. do basic math.
By the time the child is 15 years old.

Deal? or no Deal

Act now and recieve

NOTICE ALL OF THE ABOVE IS PURE FANTASY,, and too be never considered to be actual.

** To the parent of the child, at age six.
edit on 5/15/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome
When the child turns age 6,,
,the Government should write a one time **check for "$29,349",,
with the stipulation that the child must be able too:
1. read
2.write, cursive!
3. do basic math

Or ... how about the government taxes the parents of any kid $29,349 (extra) for every kid in their house who cannot competently do the above. Of course ... failure to pay your new tax = loss of citizenship for the 'whole family' and any Facebook friends they picked up along the way.

new topics

top topics

join