It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All-You-Can-Eat Taco Bars Deemed Offensive, Face Campus Extinction

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
So what do they say when the "Mexicans" in the "Mexican Restaurants" pull out the uber huge sombrero and clap happy birthday to their non Mexican patrons? Are those "Mexicans" less Mexican? Are they traitors? Sell outs?

The whole thing is stupid. All of the non Mexicans should forgo eating at the Mexican restaurants for a month and call it "cultural REappropriation".

I'm going to work up to getting super pissed about next St. Patrick's Day.
edit on 5/12/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

LOL, if they are doing Happy Birthday To You instead of Feliz Cumpleanos, it isn't Mexican.

I say we put THOSE folks on a spit and tar/feather them.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: aboyandhisdream

You sound like my sons. haha.

The other day the 16 year old was called a "potato" by one of this classmates (brown on the outside, white on the inside). He smiled and said, "Why? Because I am lumpy?"

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well... see? If I was not a non Mexican damaging their culture, I would have been able to spell Happy Birthday in Spanish.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Cuervo

"Cultural appropriation" is a bunch of hoakum.

Our nation is a melting pot of every nationality known to man. If it exists on planet Earth, it exists within our borders. Part of that "melting pot" is the sharing of culture.

I would say that given this, if one feels that they should not share their culture in America with Americans, then perhaps they shouldn't have brought it here to begin with. You cannot ask us to change one of the few things we still do that makes us great.

The funny part about this: it is Ivy League schools that you are seeing the ruckus at. Not in the southwest where Mexicans are happy to share their culture with you.

"Cultural appropriation" is a bunch of hoakum

Our nation is a melting pot of every nationality known to man. If it exists on planet Earth, it exists within our borders. Part of that "melting pot" is the sharing of culture.
--------------

Wutz4toms REPLY

Thank you! again Thank you...This is so very true. It's now to the point that I'm embarrassed to be human.

When did protesting, complaining become a profession I ask. Are the true numbers really offended? I don't think they are... and also I think that the media is so desperate to save their arses and make themselves relevant that that pick up these nonsense stories over and over again.

Like Texan has said (very accurately I may add) Our nation is a melting pot of every nationality known to man.
Lets embrace our differences and since when must we pretend we are all exactly the same?

Small groups of complainers gaining the attention of media...what shall we call this new profession?

** you know whats next? Apologizers

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
if this is a fact, let's extend to other groups! Having a brat fry? Better not wear lederhosen and tyrol hats or you'll offend the germans. Hawaiian luau? Hide the tiki torches and grass skirts whitey! Paris themed wedding shower? Ditch the baguettes and sorbets filthy American pig-dogs! The French fart in your general direction!

I can go on...

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Please quit with all the tex-mex talk, oh nevermind its to late.
Now I gotta go make some tocos, just sounds so good right now.

Peace.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's fairly simple: if the event is meant to make money/raise funds using cultural appropriation, it shouldn't be allowed to happen. Have a private party around any cultural theme if you still feel inclined to wear culture as costume, but if you're going to make money off the event, find an appropriate theme or none at all.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I feel it is my duty as a white man to inform all those offended by cultural appropriation that it is my culture (as a white man) to appropriate other cultures. I find it distasteful and offensive that anyone would stand in the way of celebrating white culture.

Racists.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

It is called Tex-Mex because their were Hispanic families who lived in Texas before Sam Houston brought the original 100 families to settle Texas. They became Texan's of Mexican decent, and their version of Mexican food is the best!

The further you travel into Mexico the more you learn that not all Mexicans are treated the same. There are Mestizos, Amerindians, and White Europeans. Down in the Progresso area the Mayan decent Mexicans call the Spanish decent Mexicans a different name, and they even have different colored family tombstones to reflect who is seen as a real Mexican.

It is amazing how when people who live in the US identify with a culture that is nothing like what they expect it to be like. They cry foul of racism when their culture is full of racism. How many people in this country who's race that they identify with has only their skin pigmentation as a qualifying characteristic with their ancestors.

I personally am of Scottish/English decent. I can track my ancestors back to when they originally traveled to this country. We have a family bible on one side that has every signature from every member of that side of the family dating back to the original people who came over on a boat. I don't identify at all with being Scottish or English, because the only similarity I have with anyone from those countries is the color of my skin.

End of Story.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Wishing I was at a taco bar with sour cream and plenty of cheese.....lol
Sounds like them folk's are trying to, put the kibosh on your freedoms. I wouldn't stand for it............

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
OK that’s it, cancel President’s day, Veterans Day, Fourth of July, Hanukkah, Christmas, Halloween. I’m sure there are some witches out there that want to put a stop to that one pronto.
Look at what this Country coming down to.

edit on 12-5-2014 by stelth2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Wearing a Native American headdress while talking about how spiritually in tune you are and having no idea that you are appropriating spiritual wear of a group ethnically cleansed by your forefathers? Totally Offensive

Tacos bars? please. Somewhere you gotta draw lines with pc nonsense. Tacos are great. Mexican culture is great, and a big part of a lot of US culture, across the southwest in particular. That's not appropriation. That's cultural blending.

Are college students often dumb and insensitive. Yep. So, teach them already. Is 75K for a college education not enough for 1 course on cultural communications or something? (well, actually i think most of college is bs, except for very particular course work, but that's for another thread)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Stuship

Whats all this talk about racism, last I checked it was called the human race.
I believe we are talking about prejudice here.

Peace.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

The only reason to be offended by someone of another race eating "your" food is if you are a racist and believe your race should have a monopoly on certain foods.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: elg3cko

It's fairly simple: if the event is meant to make money/raise funds using cultural appropriation, it shouldn't be allowed to happen. Have a private party around any cultural theme if you still feel inclined to wear culture as costume, but if you're going to make money off the event, find an appropriate theme or none at all.

I am really curious as to who EXACTLY is losing sleep at night because they have been SO traumatized that someone down the road is having an all you can eat taco bar while wearing a brightly colored sombrero.

What is really so inappropriate about it? Is it really so offensive that a charity must lose out because someone might eat a fajita while wearing Mexican themed headwear? Would it be just as offensive if a Mexican ate a fajita while wearing Mexican themed headwear? Is it more or less offensive if a black person did it? How about a person of Mediterranean descent? Could a person of Jewish descent do it on Rosh Hashanah with less backlash?

I find it really offensive that everyone seems to be going out of their way to actually find offense. It's getting a little out of control.

Most people would never get offended if they didn't have someone telling them when they should be offended and by what.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Stuship
Thanks for the history lesson.
Don't know what that has/had to do with my comment, but - thanks anyway.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

Out here in west Texas, as you surely know, we have a blending of tex-mex and the new mexico/hatch chile type food.

all that aside, I think you kind of bring up a good point: the food we are eating is native to this state. It isn't "mexican food" because it is food that was derived by the people who lived here.

My wifes family was at one point Apache/Comanche (depending on which branch you follow). Along the way they just became "Mexicans", despite always living in the Muleshoe, TX area. For generations, that was there home. So when we eat chile rellenos, we are eating her native Texan food, not Mexican food.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

If you don't know anyone who hasn't taken offense to the often deliberate, but sometimes accidental adoption of a your culture, then I suggest you diversify your circle a little bit more. Or don't, I couldn't possibly care less.

There isn't a distinct line drawn for this. Have a look at wiki for a general definition. The two stories cited by the OP were by organizations that have nothing to do with the Mexican culture, therefore to advertise it as such is appropriation. Serve whatever food you like (as they were allowed to in the end), but don't treat culture as decoration for a fund raiser.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
This is just more insanity from racist social justice warriors.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join