It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA man shoots 11-year-old nephew dead while demonstrating laser sight on his forehead

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This is pretty sad and 11 year old PA boy was shot dead by his uncle when the uncle was showing off the laser sight on his gun and pointed at the boys head.

He opened the case and showed them his .357 Magnum revolver, which had been wrapped in a sleeve.

He handed it to his nephew and then to his son. They thought it was cool because it had a big scope on it. They wanted to pull the trigger and he let them, the police report said.

Next, he took out a .22 revolver. He removed the pin and cylinder and then put it back together again and handed it to his nephew and then to his son.

Then Olm showed the boys a 9 mm pistol that had been stored in a case, and let each boy hold it.

Last, he took out a Glock 27 .40-caliber handgun that has a laser sight. Olm said there was no magazine in it, but he did not work the action to check or clear it.

He was holding the pistol and showing the boys the laser on the ceiling and the wall.

Then, Olm pointed the laser at his nephew

I feel so bad for the parents of this boy. Why you would ever point a gun at an 11 year old whether you think its loaded or not beyond me.

What the hell was this guy thinking?
LINK FOR FULL STORY
edit on 5/7/2014 by AshleyD because: Mod Edit: Fix broken link.

+3 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

I still dont understand how someone cannot know their gun is loaded. Maybe its just i've been trained since about 4 years old to make sure the breech is clear and never point a gun at anyone. Some people, despite my love of the 2nd, should not own fire arms. If your IQ is below 100 you shouldnt have anything that could be used as a weapon.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I'll bet this guy lives out the rest of his life with a guilt I don't even want to envision. A dead child and a life of pain, so sad when you think about it. This guy will wake up every morning for the rest of his life hoping the nightmare is over...It never happened. Such a shame

edit on 6-5-2014 by minkmouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: V22tech

I still dont understand how someone cannot know their gun is loaded. Maybe its just i've been trained since about 4 years old to make sure the breech is clear and never point a gun at anyone. Some people, despite my love of the 2nd, should not own fire arms. If your IQ is below 100 you shouldnt have anything that could be used as a weapon.

I wonder what his IQ really was.
Bet he had an NRA card too.

TThe second amendment says nothing about the stupid and their right to bear arms. Speaking of which, shouldn't felons and the mentally ill be able to own firearms as well? Isn't that an infringement? All or nothing people. It's the Constitution remember?

+12 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

TThe second amendment says nothing about the stupid and their right to bear arms. Speaking of which, shouldn't felons and the mentally ill be able to own firearms as well? Isn't that an infringement? All or nothing people. It's the Constitution remember?

What is sad is people like you whom make it a political issue!

What does the NRA have to do with it OR felons OR mentally ill folk????

The Uncle was an idiot that didn't respect his weapon!

Plain and simple! A family is devastated and you have to bring political BS into the topic?
edit on 6-5-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
That sucks

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

No kidding. Forget the fact he was too much of an idiot to actually check the gun properly and make sure the breach was clear, he actually trained the weapon on his nephew's head. Complete moron. You don't point a gun at anyone (even if it's not loaded) unless you intend to kill them/defend yourself.

No doubt libs will use this to shout for more gun control, but you can't legislate the stupid out of some people.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The link does not show the article any longer, I wonder if he was young, my sons uncle is almost the same age as he is.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Plain and simple! A family is devastated and you have to bring political BS into the topic?

The OP was the one who said "anyone with an IQ under 100 should not be allowed to have a gun".

Take it up with him.

Eta: sorry. It was the person who posted AFTER the OP.

edit on 6-5-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yep, and therein lies the problem. Personal responsibility, he should have cleared each weapon regardless if he "knew" it was unloaded.

I'm well aware of this phenomenon as one time a friend of mine (a vet no less) was absolutely sure his rifle was unloaded until it blew a crater between our feet about the size of a garbage can lid. I was pissed and yelled at him when he was swinging it around so you can imagine what happened after it went off.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Number one rule of firearm safety is as important as the second one.

A gun is always loaded.

Never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy.

He got both wrong at once.
edit on 6-5-2014 by intrptr because: BB code

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

The story is incredibly incredibly tragic and senseless and should never have happened.
Even sicker and more tragic is that people use the tragedy to promote their ideological beliefs and try to make an ignorant political statement about firearm owners and the NRA.

You really need to take a deep look at yourself and the uncaring, ugliness and hate inside you.

I am so sad for the family of the child, the man and mostly for you.

As horrifying as it was the fact remains what he did was an accident....your ignorant remarks were on purpose.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

Yep, and therein lies the problem. Personal responsibility, he should have cleared each weapon regardless if he "knew" it was unloaded.

I'm well aware of this phenomenon as one time a friend of mine (a vet no less) was absolutely sure his rifle was unloaded until it blew a crater between our feet about the size of a garbage can lid. I was pissed and yelled at him when he was swinging it around so you can imagine what happened after it went off.

My ex was almost shot in the head coming home from work when a neighbor was cleaning his "unloaded" rifle.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

The OP was the one who said "anyone with an IQ under 100 should not be allowed to have a gun".

Take it up with him.

Read your post!

The internet is a wonderful thing!

I was addressing you, NOT the OP!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Because it will be used as a political tool, that's why.

Any reason they can get, they'll use it!

Unfortunately, they'll concentrate on the wrong thing, rather than doing something about the lack of appropriate weapon handling education, they'll just target the gun itself and how they're "bad".

edit on 6-5-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Why do people always brag about how responsible they are with guns, and how 'irresponsible' the shooter was. One's obvious and one's irrelevant. People talk about guns like they are a new thing.... People have been irresponsible with them since the 14th century

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

So you are an ardent supporter of gun control? (100 is smack dab in the middle of the bell curve).

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Maybe we should require IQ tests to drive a car.

After all cars kill more people than guns.

This guy was a moron who failed to follow even the basics of gun safety.

But taking someone else's guns away because of this guy would be like taking away your car because a moronic neighbor drove drunk.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood

The story is incredibly incredibly tragic and senseless and should never have happened.
Even sicker and more tragic is that people use the tragedy to promote their ideological beliefs and try to make an ignorant political statement about firearm owners and the NRA.

You really need to take a deep look at yourself and the uncaring, ugliness and hate inside you.

I am so sad for the family of the child, the man and mostly for you.

As horrifying as it was the fact remains what he did was an accident....your ignorant remarks were on purpose.

You do not know me.
You do not know my ideology about guns and or gun control.
And more specifically,

How do you know the hate inside of me? Do you even Know yourself?

II was simply defending the second amendment before "the liberals" came in to this thread and called for more gun control.
This wasnt the only accidental shooting to kill some on in the United States today. Any death is sad but more so when it is a child.
Look within yourself before condemning others. And do not feel sorry for me. I aam at peace with myself.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hmmmmmmm
a reply to: the owlbear

Maybe we should require IQ tests to drive a car.

After all cars kill more people than guns.

This guy was a moron who failed to follow even the basics of gun safety.

But taking someone else's guns away because of this guy would be like taking away your car because a moronic neighbor drove drunk.

Well. Strangely enough, you do have to pass a test to get a driver's license. Maybe not the *best* analogy. But hey, what about Mexico? AMIRITE?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join