It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian admiral: US ships are a target in case of war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Source

Iran has threatened our air ships for quite some time. And not long ago, satallite images captured Iran building an exact replica of the USS Nimitz. Iran has said this replica is to be used for future military exercises.

According to the article, their commander did a mock targeted exercise to sink one of their simulated warships, and it only took 50 seconds. But was quickly mocked by the white house.

The commander said the Guard navy has already carried out exercises targeting mock-ups of American warships. In one case, he said, it took 50 seconds to destroy one of the simulated warships.

Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren mocked the Iranian mock-up, saying he had seen a classified image that showed it listing to the side by about 30 degrees. "My guess is you could sink the mock-up in 50 seconds," he said.

"Aircraft carriers are the symbol of America's military might," he said. "The carriers are responsible for supplying America's air power. So, it's natural that we want to sink the carriers."

Our aircraft carriers are obviously a life-line for our air assault, but in all honesty - I feel Iran would have much bigger problems than a few jets to worry about if they sunk one of our warships.

I should clarify - No, I don't think this is a serious threat of war... I find it pretty laughable actually.
Thoughts?
edit on 6-5-2014 by CeeRZ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CeeRZ

"Thoughts? "
yes the urainians need too work on there ships defensive control software.

maybe windows update??

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Same as when any country claims it can 'destroy' America. It's like the kid on the playground who says "I can beat anyone up" then when the bully walks past he shyly ducks into the crowd.

This is posturing. Stupid at that, it only makes America look stronger when they can later ridicule the others countries. Iraq, Iran, Korea, Russia, Afghanistan.... They're all apparently 'about' to take someone out, they have been for the last 20 years.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
wow, this guy is a military genius. Our ships are a target in war?

next he will say our tanks are a target in war.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Well duh!

Warship are military and in war military are the first to be targeted, think what Iran says kinda goes without saying!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

I agree - It comes off more as posturing than anything. Which is why the white house response to their warning seems to be more of a parent laughing at a child threatening to run away.

But hypothetically speaking - IF they were to make good on their claims, or even ATTEMPTED to make good on their claims - does anyone honestly believe our Navy would be crippled enough to not retaliate in a much worse way?

It's like killing a cub and expecting the bear to not shred you to pieces.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure Russian ships are a U.S target right now , it's what nations do in times of instability and we are in a time of instability.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry
wow, this guy is a military genius. Our ships are a target in war?

next he will say our tanks are a target in war.

Exactly!

If Irans officers have only just figured this key fact out then they are a few centuries behind the rest of the world

Anyone would think they recruited their officers from "special" schools

What were there targets before? Mcdonalds and disney land?

edit on 6-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

So what ..? ofcourse everything is fair in love and war ...
Only weird when they actually tell people what they're going to do .. which means they have other undisclosed plans ..
nobody would publicly talk about their war strategy ..lol

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: junglimogli

haha I thought the same thing, but I guess it's really like anyone. All governments threaten what they will do, while working behind closed doors. The difference is it's more like Iran was trying to lay out a map with their big kid gloves saying "look how smart we are!" Honestly, it's no different than the N. Korea warnings (on a different level obviously)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

So they spent a few billion dollars to build a replica of the Nimitz?

Cool Story Bro!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Let's just say for exercise purposes than during a confrontation Iran did attack and sink one or more ships from an aircraft carrier task force including the carrier. What would happen?

In all likelihood the President would order B2s immediately launched for an attack on a high value target in Iran. At the same time the US would launch cruise missiles with conventional warheads at the same like targets. DOD would go to DEFCON 1 on a full military alert in preparation for orders from the White House for a preemptive nuclear strike while the President convened both houses of Congress to declare war.

In the meantime, Israel, an avowed enemy of the Islamic state just might beat everybody to the punch with a declaration of war seconds before their own weapons hit Iran and destroy it. Never underestimate the power of the IDF. They will defend Israel to the death even if it means the death of the state of Israel and tens of million of Iranians not to mention the global damage due to radiation poisoning.

I think for this reason Iran will never attempt to destroy Israel militarily. The cost is simply to high and when the dust clears Iran as a nation will be no more and the same applies to the us.

Exercise closed as a no brainer and my best.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: airforce47

Thank you! That was actually a very interesting response. I wasn't even considering Israel's response.

Yeah - pretty sure Iran wouldn't be able to even upload a new version of their Windows software (as BobAtHome suggested). haha

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580
Ha! Good point.
*facepalm*

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: airforce47
Let's just say for exercise purposes than during a confrontation Iran did attack and sink one or more ships from an aircraft carrier task force including the carrier. What would happen?

In all likelihood the President would order B2s immediately launched for an attack on a high value target in Iran. At the same time the US would launch cruise missiles with conventional warheads at the same like targets. DOD would go to DEFCON 1 on a full military alert in preparation for orders from the White House for a preemptive nuclear strike while the President convened both houses of Congress to declare war.

In the meantime, Israel, an avowed enemy of the Islamic state just might beat everybody to the punch with a declaration of war seconds before their own weapons hit Iran and destroy it. Never underestimate the power of the IDF. They will defend Israel to the death even if it means the death of the state of Israel and tens of million of Iranians not to mention the global damage due to radiation poisoning.

I think for this reason Iran will never attempt to destroy Israel militarily. The cost is simply to high and when the dust clears Iran as a nation will be no more and the same applies to the us.

Exercise closed as a no brainer and my best.

Israel bombed a nuclear research facility in Iraq. Illegally.
No sanctions. No repercussions.
Do we forget history that quickly?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: airforce47

But... Even Israel realised that their military power was useless against well organised tactics.

The Islamic tactics are unique and Hezbollah can give Israel a massive hit also if any future conflict were to occur.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

So they spent a few billion dollars to build a replica of the Nimitz?

Cool Story Bro!

Maybe a few million.
The billions are in the pockets of the mullahs. But they have to put on a fireworks show every now and then so the moderate people of Iran dont collectively say "Dude, where's my money?"

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

According to the article, their commander did a mock targeted exercise to sink one of their simulated warships, and it only took 50 seconds.

Shooting targets is one thing.
Shooting things that can shoot back and that have a lot of friends with weapons is a different thing..
Shoot a US navy warship and have a US nuke sub pop up and deliver a lot of cruse missiles to your cities will not make your day..

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Iran isn't Iraq. I thought it funny that Iran took control of one of the war mongers drones and landed it. Then they took it apart. The US gov whined, wanting it back. haha
The Iranians are right for preparing themselves against the war mongering demons in the US government. The world needs to get together and have a regime change in Washington DC. I guess that 911 didn't work the way "they" thought it would, and Syria and Iran have become untouchable, other than spies and trouble makers starting internal conflicts. The world is watching and sick of the zio US gov.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Iranian navy and the revolutionary guard special forces are more than capable to sink and destroy almost anything that is considered to be a threat to the national security....Most countries with the use of right weapon and the will of right people could do the same to any invading force jeoperdizing their security and integrity.The only reason Iran is not taking the carriers out is because they have not done anything crazy yet.I am sure the carriers and their watch dogs are pretty capable of retaliation,but we are talking about confronting a nation with all their forces combined.This is no cg simulated drill.... It is 2014 but Some people are still living in the 50's.

top topics

join