It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family, Friends Of Dead Home Invaders Say “They Didn’t Deserve To Get Killed.”

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere

originally posted by: Mianeye

No, but there is a reason to burglars mostly act at night, they like to work in the cover of darkness, light is their enemy.

Nope.

Burglars by and large prefer the light of day to the dark of night. Of more than 50 home break-ins in Lynnwood so far this year, all but one occurred during the day. Crooks play the odds, figuring homeowners are most likely at work on weekdays. Their prime time is between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Daytime is Crime time

When do most break-in occur?

Usually occur in the daytime when occupants are at school or work.
July and August most the frequent months for break-ins.
February is the least frequent for home breaks.
Safeguard

The whole nighttime burglar thing is a movie gimmick not reality.

I would add to your comments that in the US, thieves typically prefer to break in during the weekday because it is more likely that the homeowner will not be at home but will be at work and thus they have less risk of facing an armed and angry homeowner. They don't want to get shot.

OTOH, in Europe, they have a higher rate of burglary of an occupied dwelling because they know they have less risk of death than their US counterparts.

In studies involving interviews of felons, one of the reasons the majority of burglars try to avoid occupied homes is the chance of getting shot. (Increasing the odds of arrest is another.) A study of Pennsylvania burglary inmates reported that many burglars refrain from late-night burglaries because it's hard to tell if anyone is home, several explaining "That's the way to get shot." (Rengert G. and Wasilchick J., Suburban Burglary: A Time and a Place for Everything, 1985, Springfield, IL: Charles Thomas.)

By comparing criminal victimization surveys from Britain and the Netherlands (countries having low levels of gun ownership) with the U.S., Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck determined that if the U.S. were to have similar rates of "hot" burglaries as these other nations, there would be more than 450,000 additional burglaries per year where the victim was threatened or assaulted. (Britain and the Netherlands have a "hot" burglary rate near 45% versus just under 13% for the U.S., and in the U.S. a victim is threatened or attacked 30% of the time during a "hot" burglary.)

Source: Gary Kleck, Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control, Walter de Gruyter, Inc., New York, 1997.

It's simple common sense really. If you are a thief and you are faced with an unoccupied dwelling or a dwelling that may have someone with a gun, which place are you going to rob? The easier one or the riskier one?
edit on 6-5-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

Well i'll take that one, but there is a catch, that they do break in when people are NOT home which with a little logic as described in your quotes is during daytime between 9 to 5, but that doesn't take away from he other things i said about nighttime, mind you the killings here happened at night or morning.

edit on 6-5-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
What right do you people have that makes it ok to execute some one? All of you that said you would kill the kids are just sick. In my opinion. Call the cops and hold them under citizens arrest until the cops get there.

What is with this freaking world...

+6 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

How is it that people are surprised these days when home invaders are shot?

Don't want to get shot?? Don't break into someone else's home.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

OTOH, in Europe, they have a higher rate of burglary of an occupied dwelling because they know they have less risk of death than their US counterparts.

Depends where you live in Europe Doc and if you are in the city or the countryside.

Over here in France most burglars like to operate during the daytime when homeowners are at work or shopping (burglars tend to suss out regular habits of homeowners before striking in residential areas).

In the countryside however most burglaries (which are quite rare) are committed on a night time as farmers are often "on site" so to speak and may have a shotgun or rifle fairly handy if need be as much hunting is performed... (especially during the hunting season from September until February)... In the village where I live we are roughly 310 inhabitants... over the past 5 years we have had 3 burglaries and these were committed on second homes of city dwellers who were not there at the time.

Out of the 310 inhabitants I would say that over 3/4 of these people own shotguns or hunting rifles (sometimes even guns from WWII)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

It's when they think nobody is home. They arent right 100% of the time obviously. Otherwise they wouldnt be getting themselves shot and this thread wouldnt exist.
edit on 6-5-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: nfflhome
Its dark and you were asleep, you wake up to the sound
of an intruder, heart pumping, God what a tuff position to be in.
Sorry I think I would shoot to kill.

And that's why the rest of the world think Americans are a bunch of pansies because anything scary happens in your country and you hide behind your guns. The rest of the world have to deal with home invaders & all other crime without the use of guns & we all manage to do it.
People make mistakes when their young and thankfully i live in a country where we have due process & not a vigilante legal system where you shoot 1st & ask questions later.
Yes it was stupid of the kids to do what they did but they didn't deserve to die.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Cause it's very difficult to buy a motion sensor that turns on the light if any unwanted person enters your property. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

That made me laugh! Apparently, you have no idea how ever-increasing inflation is affecting those on a fixed income.

While motion sensors may be affordable to you, when a person has to choose between life-saving medicine and food because of their limited income, there's no way they can afford gadgets to 'protect' themselves- nor should they have to!
Children should not be taught that breaking the laws of society make THEM the victim, and parents need to stop playing the martyr card. Live by the law, or die by the law.

I would never,ever,ever want to take a life! If someone wants to violate my home-or my body-I will protect myself. The 'parents' of said violator can accept responsibility for their lazy, ineffective parenting and go to hell.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: nighthawk1954...“They didn’t deserve to get killed,”...

I have no problem with this statement - with emphasis on 'deserve'.
When you place your chips on "Lucky 7", and the die roll '4' and '3' - you don't 'deserve' to win...
They rolled the dice, and lost. Might have made similar rolls 15 times previously, and won...but this time, they lost.

edit on 5/6/2014 by WanDash because: ugghhh

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere

It's when they think nobody is home. They arent right 100% of the time obviously. Otherwise they wouldnt be getting themselves shot and this thread wouldnt exist.

Yes, and that has been my whole point, but thankyou for proving it.

If you can make the thief think someone is home they will run away, but people here do not want that, they want them to enter thier house so they can justify killing them.

edit on 6-5-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm not American and I feel this shooting was justified. And I don't have any bloodlust.

Everyday, people make choices and those choices have consequences. In this case that choice led to the death of two people who were trying to vicitmize others through illegal action of break and enter.

Also, I'm pretty sure anyone who says just shoot them in the leg or somewhere "nonlethal" has ; 1. never fired a gun in a high stress situation. The chance of hitting an arm or leg in the type of situation that happened here is pretty low. If you miss, you have just given the criminals the chance at doing serious harm to you or even killing you or you may hit one of your family instead. You aim for the largest part of the body to increase your chances of hitting what you're aiming at.

And 2. don't understand human physiology. A serious trauma to a leg can lead to death just as easily as a shot to the chest. Damage to the femoral artery will bleed you out quite quickly.

I live in a very rural area. It would take the police that are responsible for my area roughly 10/15 minutes to arrive here if anything like this happened. Should I ask anyone that choose to break into my home to hang around until they arrive? If I could, I would defend my home and family in some other way than shooting them but the that option remains on the table and I have a firearm to ensure I do have that option.I've worked hard to have what I do and continue to work hard to keep it.

It's unfortunate that these teens died but if they hadn't been committing a criminal act, they would probably be going to school this morning.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Real simple- If break into my house you'd better accept the fact that, at best, you'll be leaving on an EMT powered stretcher. At worst, the stretcher will be coroner powered. I've even provided a warning via a sticker (in the shape of a bullet) on the front door that states "Remington - Drop Dead Better".

Nuff said
edit on 6-5-2014 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Welllllllllllllll . . . the parents might well have thought about that when the lads were 0-8 . . .

That's when one prevents teen problems by insuring very robust and intense, healthy affection, strong bonding, emotional connectedness etc. all communicating that the child is of infinite worth to the Dad, regardless.

. . . as well as successfully transmitting values against theft etc. . . .

By the time they are teens . . . it's LARGELY too late.

So, parents, you want someone to blame--look in the mirror.

+1 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Don't want to get shot don't break in.

Ok its sad two humans died.

But its there fault. And the home owners should not feel guilty about it.
edit on 6-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
Here we go with the bloodlust and the salivating and the excuses for killing people again....

....only in America!

Not just America.

There are plenty in the UK like me who would kill a home invader.

My life is my priority. Break in and they will ended up bolted to the wall with a crossbow bolt. Not risking my life for a thief.

Wont enjoy it, or relish it but I will do it.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4

originally posted by: nfflhome
Its dark and you were asleep, you wake up to the sound
of an intruder, heart pumping, God what a tuff position to be in.
Sorry I think I would shoot to kill.

And that's why the rest of the world think Americans are a bunch of pansies because anything scary happens in your country and you hide behind your guns. The rest of the world have to deal with home invaders & all other crime without the use of guns & we all manage to do it.
People make mistakes when their young and thankfully i live in a country where we have due process & not a vigilante legal system where you shoot 1st & ask questions later.
Yes it was stupid of the kids to do what they did but they didn't deserve to die.

One could argue your citizens were "pansies" by not fighting for their right to own firearms.

+2 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Here we go with the bloodlust and the salivating and the excuses for killing people again....

....only in America!

And here we have the whiners making excuses for bad people doing bad things.

.... only in Amerika!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I suppose you don't have any property or loved one's you would be willing to fight to keep or protect then huh?.

Nobody deserves to die, being shot down like a dog for breaking into a house and steal inanimate stuff, but I don't suppose one could trust someone who would do such a thing to be honest about meaning no harm to you or your loved ones either,Eh?..

Nobody deserves to have their hard earned property stolen from them either, defending yourself and family with lethal force is a last resort, how does one know when?.

How does one have the option to make those decisions without the tools to do whatever has to be done?.

It's easy to be obstinate, contradictory and anonymous on the internet, ain't it?.

a reply to: Kryties

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I'm in another country, one where we use non-lethal means of deterring intruders and where we don't fear that everyone else has a gun and wants to kill us

What country is that?

No we don't have guns floating about.

But intruders can still carry knifes and knifes still kill and crossbow + Katana trumps knifes

+2 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd
What right do you people have that makes it ok to execute some one? All of you that said you would kill the kids are just sick. In my opinion. Call the cops and hold them under citizens arrest until the cops get there.

What is with this freaking world...

I am a petite 100 pound woman. If they had broken into my home, I would not have been able to 'hold' them, let alone use the phone at the same time!

If I present with a gun, I'm pretty sure they would be able to over-power me.

NOBODY will enter my home by force, and I will not feel guilty for the lousy, rotten job parents are doing in teaching their children right from wrong.

I have a sign posting my intentions of using force to protect MY home. If someone is brave enough ( or just too stupid) and chooses to force their way in, that is in no way my burden.
edit on 20000001010America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join