It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first experience in float tank/sensory deprivation pod

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
So tonight was my first experience in a float tank/sensory deprivation pod. I first heard about this two years ago on the Joe Rogan pod cast. It was something I've always wanted to do. Lucky for me a place here in town opened a few months ago. I made my appointment and showed up 20 mins early and filled out all the pre float paperwork signed the release and watched a short 5 minute video about what to expect. The tank or pod is big enough that you can stretch out and not touch the walls. The water was 10 inches deep and 96 degrees with a 1000 pounds of pharmaceutical grade Epsom salt. You take a shower before hand. You put in ear plugs also. When you get in the pod you are totally naked. So you get in and close the cover and switch off the light. That's when the fun starts. When you lie down flat in the water because of so much salt your completely buoyant. The first 10-15 mins are interesting. Your muscles are getting totally relaxed. For me after that adjustment period I felt like I was on a slow moving river. I could feel all the individual hairs on my body moving, I could hear my heart beating and the blood flowing through my veins. With no light and no sound you have no way of judging time. Everything just sort of flows together. At one point the gentle current that it felt like I was riding stopped and I could feel a wall and floor materialize under me and as I looked around I was in my childhood home, ten years old and listening to my mom (who has passed) scold me. I could look around and everything I saw was exactly how my old house was. I'm not sure how long this lasted before I was back on this river gently moving. It was at this point I brought my hands out of the water and held them in front of my face and I could see a faint blueish outline around both hands. I put my hands down and focused on the roof of the pod and I could see faint tracers shooting through my field of vision. It seemed as quickly as I started the session it was over. Like I said time seemed to stop while in the tank. Overall it was an amazing experience and I going to do it again. On my next float I am going to do an overnight 6 hr float. If you get the chance I highly recommend you do it.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
S&F,

I've contemplated doing this before, thanks for sharing your exp.

Theres a place near by that has rates by the hour and half.

Haven't decided if I wana do it, knowing my luck Ill enjoy it so much Ill develop a habit.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: w810i

I've always been curious about what I would experience if I tried that. Thanks for sharing!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I HIGHLY recommend doing it. I wish I would have been able to do it sooner!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: w810i
So tonight was my first experience in a float tank/sensory deprivation pod. I first heard about this two years ago on the Joe Rogan pod cast. It was something I've always wanted to do. Lucky for me a place here in town opened a few months ago. I made my appointment and showed up 20 mins early and filled out all the pre float paperwork signed the release and watched a short 5 minute video about what to expect. The tank or pod is big enough that you can stretch out and not touch the walls. The water was 10 inches deep and 96 degrees with a 1000 pounds of pharmaceutical grade Epsom salt. You take a shower before hand. You put in ear plugs also. When you get in the pod you are totally naked. So you get in and close the cover and switch off the light. That's when the fun starts. When you lie down flat in the water because of so much salt your completely buoyant. The first 10-15 mins are interesting. Your muscles are getting totally relaxed. For me after that adjustment period I felt like I was on a slow moving river. I could feel all the individual hairs on my body moving, I could hear my heart beating and the blood flowing through my veins. With no light and no sound you have no way of judging time. Everything just sort of flows together. At one point the gentle current that it felt like I was riding stopped and I could feel a wall and floor materialize under me and as I looked around I was in my childhood home, ten years old and listening to my mom (who has passed) scold me. I could look around and everything I saw was exactly how my old house was. I'm not sure how long this lasted before I was back on this river gently moving. It was at this point I brought my hands out of the water and held them in front of my face and I could see a faint blueish outline around both hands. I put my hands down and focused on the roof of the pod and I could see faint tracers shooting through my field of vision. It seemed as quickly as I started the session it was over. Like I said time seemed to stop while in the tank. Overall it was an amazing experience and I going to do it again. On my next float I am going to do an overnight 6 hr float. If you get the chance I highly recommend you do it.

Next time ask the question, Who am I? It is the axe with which to cut off the ego.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Its my understanding it gets better the more times you do it. I've always had a problem quieting my mind down. In there it was blessed silence!!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Its my understanding it gets better the more times you do it. I've always had a problem quieting my mind down. In there it was blessed silence!!

If you are interested in similar experiences, may I suggest Binaural Beats, cautiously.

I recommend some exp with meditation as well before you try.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I wonder if it's similar to meditation. Quieting your mind is hard at first, but after about two weeks it gets really easy. The trick for me is to not focus on anything in particular. Just let yor mind go. Eventually your mind learns what to do. Sorry if I derailed your thread.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: benrl

If you are interested in similar experiences, may I suggest Binaural Beats, cautiously.

The tank has an audio dock outside that can play music in the pod and I was actually pondering that very thing. pairing the two together.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

The tank has an audio dock outside that can play music in the pod and I was actually pondering that very thing. pairing the two together.

You will need head phones, you need to isolate the sound between each ear to work properly.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

You will need head phones, you need to isolate the sound between each ear to work properly.
I wonder if I could find waterproof ones and bluetooth them in from outside the pod?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

You will need head phones, you need to isolate the sound between each ear to work properly I wonder if I could find waterproof ones and bluetooth them in from outside the pod?

Depends on the material of the pod, non metallic and the bluetooth should go fine, although water can be problematic, keep it above the water line outside the pod, as water will kill the signal. Its radio so Line of sight not through the path of the large tank of water.
edit on 6-5-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   

You will need head phones, you need to isolate the sound between each ear to work properly I wonder if I could find waterproof ones and bluetooth them in from outside the pod?

Depends on the material of the pod, non metallic and the bluetooth should go fine, although water can be problematic, keep it above the water line outside the pod, as water will kill the signal. Its radio so Line of sight not through the path of the large tank of water.

That would be a problem since the water sits at temple level...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I have not tried the tank. I would like to. I have spent long periods, several weeks, of isolation from typical external stimuli, i.e. people, television, job responsibilities, and it does definitely amplify the intensity of internal visualization. I found myself, at times, unable to tell if memories were real or dreamed.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Couple of other things I forgot to mention. My thirst has been off the charts since getting home. I would imagine that has to do with the amount of salt in the water and absorbed in the skin. There were certain emotions that came screaming to the fore front while in the tank that I had not given any thought too before hand.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
It sounds amazing. I have meditated and got close to that experience. It is kind of sad that with our rush rush rush world all we really want is to be still and quite. I wish I could try it but alas I live in a small town and I am poor.Hmmm.... bathtub, epsom salts, and warm water. Turn out the lights and send the kids for a sleep over....get out the ipod and earphones. a reply to: w810i

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: lost in space

It was totally amazing!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

So it is like a tanning bed, but to relax and ease up in? Never heard of these. Maybe I can start a local business doing this. College town, lots of interest in this.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I've always been interested in sensory deprivation ever since I saw the movie "Altered States" back in 1980. I didn't know they had facilities that you could pay to get this experience, thanks!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I've always wanted to do this. Probably since I saw it on the Simpsons when I was a kid. I also find it intriguing because I've heard Rogan say that he's been able to replace his illegal chemical tool of mind expansion with his isolation tank. I think the iso tank offers a much greater amount of control over the direction and intensity of the experience.

There's a thing you can buy called a dry case that when paired with waterproof earbuds would work in the tank.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join