It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US F16 Intercepts Russian Bomber near Gaum, others Buzz California Coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
www.zerohedge.com...

I don't know how legit this claim is.There does not seem to be any verification to these claim for me. Further links would go a long way.
edit on 5-5-2014 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
During the cold war, overflights of soviet craft to test response times where common.

They would goose the airspace of a nation to see what happens.

IT is alarming these have started up again, but its par the course for old school cold war relations.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Fear not there will be multiple posts explaining how this is common and no cause for alarm. Happens all the time...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 13th Zodiac

It's legit. It is being reported by the Associated Press. Link to original Looks like Russia is doing a little recon on our bases and capabilities in the region.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

Recon with a strategic bomber?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Yep, get our attention and record all the data as it unfolds. Do this a number of times to test for security holes and lapses in response times. Pretty straight forward.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
Fear not there will be multiple posts explaining how this is common and no cause for alarm. Happens all the time...

Haha, why did you have to go and steal what I was going to say??

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
We do it, they do it, everyone seems to do it to make the other countries that piss them off know they mean business. Probably nothing. Now if they really meant business, they would cut off our supply of Russian vodka.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Yes, recon. They fly close, we paint them with radar, they record and analyze radar signature, range, etc. Keeps them abreast of new developments and our responses to their presence. Makes good press copy, too.

I actually saw an old flick last night on Encore… remember "The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming!"

Cold War Alan Larkin hilarity. All those with Russiaphobia should watch it.

Organazized

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The Cold War is certainly on again. That's for sure.

Second line.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I am not buying the U2 story about messing up the ATC in LA.

this timing bodes to something more nefarious.

so, around the time of Russian bombers, coincidentally a U2 fries air traffic control

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry

I am not buying the U2 story about messing up the ATC in LA.

this timing bodes to something more nefarious.

so, around the time of Russian bombers, coincidentally a U2 fries air traffic control

Maybe we are saying it was us just so we don't look bad due to a Russian plane did something? (a A-50M or U) ?? Dunno if they only track or can jam freq's too...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: HanzHenry

The Russians had nothing to do with the LA radar shutdown. That's one thing neither side does. Even even things were their most tense, that was not something either side did.

The US ATC system is perfectly capable of crashing all by itself, but in this case it was not the Russians.

As for recon by bomber, the Russian air force doesn't have a fleet of dedicated electronic platforms like the US does. They modify other aircraft to do the mission, where the US purpose built aircraft for the mission. This has been happening for all but about ten years since the 1950s. Nothing new here.

And it was a pair of F-15s, not F-16s that intercepted the Bear.
edit on 5/5/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
We do it, they do it, everyone seems to do it to make the other countries that piss them off know they mean business. Probably nothing. Now if they really meant business, they would cut off our supply of Russian vodka.

Excellent point
Off to the liquer store!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: 13th Zodiac
www.zerohedge.com...

I don't know how legit this claim is.There does not seem to be any verification to these claim for me. Further links would go a long way.

Not sure which plane it was, but there were TU95s and KH27s and all sorts of Russian trawlers, and the like in that area of the Pacific during the Cold War. I distinctly remember a Bear overflying the ship I was on...and about 100 of us Marines giving that pilot the 1 finger salute. But that was the late great 1980s.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I'm not an expert on this, but for that to have been the Russians, wouldn't the plane have had to be in U.S. airspace? I am positive we would have heard about it.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Those were the days. I heard all kinds of stories from then where the pilots intercepting the Russian bombers would take the current Playboy with them. They would "trade" centerfolds with the tail gunner on the Russian plane.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: InvisibleOwl

I'm not an expert on this, but for that to have been the Russians, wouldn't the plane have had to be in U.S. airspace? I am positive we would have heard about it.

there are new emp type weapons that work somewhat like a laser.

It was either the Russians testing something, OR our USAF guys jamming them and the ATC was collateral.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Why not not just shoot these suckers down.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry

originally posted by: InvisibleOwl

there are new emp type weapons that work somewhat like a laser.

It was either the Russians testing something, OR our USAF guys jamming them and the ATC was collateral.

I would imagine if there was tech of a lazer EMP type wepon that they could develop tech that jamming an aircraft radar would not shutdown their own systems. I'm no expert but I would imagine they would not shut down their own ATC over a fairly routine aircraft interception.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join