It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Cigarettes and the FDA conspiracy to stop them.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
If it has never been clear before it should be clear now that the FDA is nothing but a puppet for Big Pharma, Ag, Tobacco.

That they are even trying to stop something that contains thousands of less harmful chemicals and will undoubtedly save money and lives is totally messed up.

You hit the nail on the head there!
It's not an exaggeration to say people could end up dying over these bans.. Messed up indeed.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

..... insanely high taxation of nicotine products. The state isn't interested in your health. The corporations aren't interested in your health.

They want your money. Period. And they will use your addiction against you to get it.

THAT is truly disgusting.

I logged in just to say that you're 100% spot-on with your assessment and to add a star to your post. The city of Chicago banned the use of electronic smoking devices in public just last week. If they ban something, there's a $$$ greed reason behind it. Always.
-cwm

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: flyingfish

originally posted by: Khaleesi
a reply to: Cabin

Vaping has actually been around long enough to show that it is a safer alternative. I will need to find several links to studies, but the gist is this. Studies have been done since about 1942 if I recall correctly. An experiment was done in a hospital in 1942, vaporizing PG (Propylene Glycol) in a children's ward. The study lasted several years and the children in that ward had fewer chest infections than the control group that did not receive vapor. The other 'major ingredient' in e'cigs is VG (Vegetable Glycerine). Bothe PG an VG have been used and continue to be used in some breathing treatments in the hospital.

The discussion of nicotine can be considered from several different angles. If you consider any addiction a 'bad thing' then, yes, nicotine addiction is bad. Shift your perspective slightly and look at it this way. Nicotine is the substance that addicts you to tobacco. The OTHER chemicals in tobacco (tar, formaldehyde and several thousand other chemicals) are the real problem, causing cancer and other health problems. The nicotine by itself does not cause cancer or any other health problems (other than addiction).

"We don't have long term studies on the affects of vaping" is really a red herring. We have studies going back more than 70 years. The patent on vaping equipment has been around since some time in the 1960's. I'm not sure of the exact year but that still means evidence of vaping and the lack of medical issues resulting from vaping is 50 years old. I am busy atm but will post the links to several studies asap.

Great post! Do you have any links? I would like to read more about this.
Thanks,

Propylene glycol in e cigarettes might keep us healthy, says researchers

www.news-medical.net...

E-cigarettes: harmless inhaled or exhaled - No second hand smoke

www.healthnz.co.nz...

I could go on and on and on.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: iosolomon
Just Google ( ego ecig).

These devices are great for beginners.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Wow, read this and look at the propaganda they're willing to push. I bet a few of the 'omg my ecig blew up' cases are fabricated as well. I tried reaching out to one guy who's wifes ecig vented in their car and burned her (they were on the news). According to his facebook comments, they went back to smoking. I offered to buy him a good quality ecig and explained why a cheap cigalike could possibly vent (underdischarge, overdischarge, etc). He never responded.

Anti-THR Lies

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: flyingfish

Here's a few personal vaporizer studies for you...

Secondhand Exposure to Vapors From Electronic Cigarettes
ntr.oxfordjournals.org...

· Jan Czogala, PhD1, Maciej L. Goniewicz, PharmD, PhD1,2, Bartlomiej Fidelus, PharmD1, Wioleta Zielinska-Danch, PhD1, Mark J. Travers, PhD2 andAndrzej Sobczak, PhD1,3

E-Cigs Do Not Stiffen the Arteries

www.ecigarette-research.com...

K. Farsalinos, D. Tsiapras, S. Kyrzopoulos, A. Spyrou, C. Stefopoulos, K. Tsimopoulou, G. Romagna, M. Tsakalou, V. Voudris

Department of Cardiology, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center

E-Cigs Are Not a Gateway to Tobacco Use Among Teens

Dr. Ted Wagener University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center

tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com.au...

Comparison of the Cytotoxic Potential of Cigarette Smoke and Electronic Cigarette Vapour Extract on Cultured Myocardial Cells

Konstantinos E. Farsalinos 1,* email, Giorgio Romagna 2email, Elena Allifranchini 2email, Emiliano Ripamonti 2email, Elena Bocchietto 2email, Stefano Todeschi 2email, Dimitris Tsiapras 1email, Stamatis Kyrzopoulos 1email and Vassilis Voudris 1email

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

E-Liquids Pose No Concerns for Public Health

Professor Igor Burstyn

Drexel University School of Public Health

publichealth.drexel.edu...

Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) as potential tobacco harm reduction products: Results of an

online survey of e-cigarette users

www.tobaccoharmreduction.org...

Karyn Heavner, PhD, MSPH (Corresponding author)

University of Alberta, School of Public Health

James Dunworth, BA, PGCE

E Cigarette Direct

Paul Bergen, MSc, MLIS

Catherine Nissen, BSc

Carl V. Phillips, PhD, MPP

Electronic cigarettes as a harm reduction strategy for tobacco control: A step forward or a repeat of past mistakes?

Zachary Cahn, Department of Political Science, University of California at Berkeley

Michael Siegel Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health

www.palgrave-journals.com...

Acute impact of active and passive electronic cigarette smoking on serum cotinine and lung function

informahealthcare.com...

Andreas D. Flouris1, Maria S. Chorti1,2,3, Konstantina P. Poulianiti2, Athanasios Z. Jamurtas2, Konstantinos Kostikas4, Manolis N. Tzatzarakis5, A. Wallace Hayes5, Aristidis M. Tsatsakis6, and Yiannis Koutedakis1,2,7

1FAME Laboratory, Centre for Research and Technology Thessaly, Karies, Trikala, Greece,

2Department of Exercise Sciences, University of Thessaly, Trikala, Greece,

3Department of General Practice, Palamas Health Centre, Karditsa, Greece,

4Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece,

5Centre of Toxicology Science and Research, Medical School, University of Crete, Iraklio, Greece,

6School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston, USA, and

7School of Sports, Performing Arts and Leisure, University of Wolverhampton, Walsall, UK

Address for correspondence: Dr. Andreas D. Flouris, PhD, Centre for Research and Technology Thessaly, FAME Laboratory, Karies, Trikala 42100, Greece.

Comparison of the aerosol produced by electronic cigarettes with conventional cigarettes and the shisha

ac.els-cdn.com... 6882c5320eb74cd7

Safety evaluation and risk assessment of electronic cigarettes as tobacco cigarette substitutes: a systematic review (attached)

taw.sagepub.com...

A total of 114 studies are referenced in this paper, with 97 directly related to e-cigarettes or their ingredients.

Konstantinos E. Farsalinos

Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, Sygrou 356, Kallithea 17674, Greece

Riccardo Polosa

Centro per la Prevenzione e Cura del Tabagismo (CPCT) and Institute of Internal Medicine, Università di Catania, Catania, Italy

Achieving appropriate regulations for electronic cigarettes

This one references for dozens of studys

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
They sure are cherry picking when it comes to vaping . theres e-juices with 0 nicotine ! Are they gonna regulate that too? Cause that would be ridiculous ! I understand that kids should not be using the ones with nicotine on them though . i started vaping a few weeks ago with the ego t ce4 & i bought a jolly rancher flavor called belly dancer 0mg nicotine by lush . So delicious! I have never touched reg cigs in my life .

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: BanTv
It is unfortunate that a federal public health agency, especially one that is as highly reputed as the CDC has crossed the line and publicly lied in order to support its position.
Here is what the CDC director Dr. Thomas Frieden stated about an agency survey find:

"What we are doing first is tracking, and we are seeing some very concerning trends. Use of e-cigarettes in youth doubled just in the past year, and many kids are starting out with e-cigarettes and then going on to smoke conventional cigarettes."

The problem with this statement is it's unsubstantiated, the survey was a cross-sectional one and it didn't track e-cigarette users over time to see whether they went on to smoke conventional cigarettes. Dr. Frieden was lying to the public.

Here is the rest of the story a call for a corrective statement by CDC to clarify this error, but none was forthcoming. . tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com...

Here are more shenanigans from the CDC "Looking for real people to appear in ads" on closer examination there are some strange qualifications.
Ex-smokers of any ethnic background
Colorectal cancer
Macular degeneration
Thought using e-cigarettes or smokeless tobacco to cut back on some cigarettes would be good for your health
Despite cutting back, you were later diagnosed with a serious health condition.

Whuuut??

I don't know about you guys, but this looks like a set up to me.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I hate those air pollution makers (smokers),I don't care their health problems.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I could have never quit if it wasn't for eciggs. The only draw back, besides from looking dorky, I found was that it caused my teeth to become very sensitive during the year I was using them. Even though it's only a short term effect I feel it was well worth it to finally kick my habit. My teeth are now as strong as ever that I'm off the eciggs. My wallet is also alittle heavier....

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Been tobacofree since oct last year.
It works..
As for the teeth, yea ive noticed.
Gumbleeds alot.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: candlestick
I hate those air pollution makers (smokers),I don't care their health problems.

Yeah, well, we aren't talking about smoking sweetheart. If you hate smokers and their second hand smoke, then you should support e-cigs. They don't produce smoke and the second-hand vapor is harmless.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: flyingfish
a reply to: BanTv
It is unfortunate that a federal public health agency, especially one that is as highly reputed as the CDC has crossed the line and publicly lied in order to support its position.
Here is what the CDC director Dr. Thomas Frieden stated about an agency survey find:

"What we are doing first is tracking, and we are seeing some very concerning trends. Use of e-cigarettes in youth doubled just in the past year, and many kids are starting out with e-cigarettes and then going on to smoke conventional cigarettes."

The problem with this statement is it's unsubstantiated, the survey was a cross-sectional one and it didn't track e-cigarette users over time to see whether they went on to smoke conventional cigarettes. Dr. Frieden was lying to the public.

The problem with the statement, "Use of e-cigarettes in youth doubled just in the past year" what they left out, smoking in youth had declined just as much. The youth weren't getting hooked on cigarettes, just experimenting with an e-cig, with NO ADDICTION.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stranglefoot82
I could have never quit if it wasn't for eciggs. The only draw back, besides from looking dorky, I found was that it caused my teeth to become very sensitive during the year I was using them. Even though it's only a short term effect I feel it was well worth it to finally kick my habit. My teeth are now as strong as ever that I'm off the eciggs. My wallet is also alittle heavier....

Congrats man! Stories like yours just reinforce the science that says nicotine by itself is not highly addictive. Therefore ecigs can be a great stepping-stone to quitting nicotine use completely (if that is what the person wants).

I know for a fact that I'm only psychologically addicted to ecigs. I can go long periods of time without using it or thinking about it. I literally just use it now because it's something to do and semi-relaxing. I could easily live without it. That is where these anti-tobacco folks are wrong. They think teens using ecigs will create another generation of nicotine slaves. It's not highly addictive though!
edit on 5-5-2014 by BanTv because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2014 by BanTv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Miccey
Been tobacofree since oct last year.
It works..
As for the teeth, yea ive noticed.
Gumbleeds alot.

Interesting. What is the PG/VG ratio of your juice? It might be a PG sensitivity/allergy or a flavoring.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
E-cigs are probably the best thing that happened to my health the past several years. The only problem I've had is also with my gums, but plenty of fluids and frequently tooth brushing helps. And that's nothing compared to the inconvenience daily cigarette smoking put me through.
The first Danish dealer received his fine for the sale of e-juice with nicotine, the fine was around. $ 10,000 because nicotine is considered a drug in Denmark. But the judgment was a clear political sign that they want to ban e-cigs.
Here in Denmark is the most Big Pharma trying to ban e-cigs because they have a big market in the NRT stuff that does not work and has a huge profit.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
OP I have Blu E-Cigs. Worked for a month, but I wanted a real cig even more. These bigger g-pens are more for smoking hash oil and weed. If that were legal.... I'd quit smoking. I don't quit becuase at work as a chef, I get stressed out, and not that the girlfriend helps any (hahaha), If weed were legal, I think people would quit tobacco more...... Then again, they may just double down on both. I don't see why you should buy a huge "e-cig" vape, because it's like huge! I got Blu to help smoke without smoking, and it was weak. Good for a bit but weak after a few weeks. If they are trying to ban e cigs for any reason, that is BS! It cannot be more harmful than a real cig. I was recovering. Hacking up junk from my lungs, feeling good again, jogging. Then I got drunk and bummed a cig, and now I just want a cig, but the E Cigs shouldn't be banned in any way! This is how legal weed started, spice we called it in PA. Didn't work like the real thing, but kept getting outlawed. Eventually they were using legal chemicals that were so bad to inhale, me and everyone I know (from that time and current who have talked with me about it) said they felt as if their heart would explode or brain was being crushed. THANKS GOVT. FOR MAKING LEGAL THINGS WORSE FOR OUR HEALTH! Needless to say I quit everything after all that.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Well, you've finally made me go and join up... very long time lurker here. I figured I would put in my $.02.. I have been wrestling with tobacco addiction for about 25 years, at the start of the year I began experimenting with e-cigs. I have found that the ones available to the general public wherever regular cigs are sold are a very poor alternative to smoking. It seems as if mass marketed e-cigs are there to wrangle the curious back into line, begging for a pack of whatever brand of poverty they are accustomed to. I was fortunate enough to be given a better unit from a vape shop, and have to say that I am quite happy with both the equipment and the myriad of flavors. This was done with a bit of a sense of urgency, as I underwent major open heart surgery last year for both an aortic valve replacement and double bypass. I can feel a huge difference when vaping instead of smoking.

These have worked for me when everything else has failed. I am able to gradually decrease the nicotine dose at my own pace, it put me in control; possibly this is where the root of this discourse lies... control. In my opinion it would be a great sadness to lose this avenue for cessation. Honestly, what about this could possibly be worse than cigarette smoking. As far as I am concerned, the argument for safety is laughable at best when cigarettes themselves are at least partially made of paper made from tobacco then sprayed with a mixture of chemicals, flavorings, and God only knows what.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SixX18

You're funny. You say you don't see why you should use a bigger ecig, but mention how horrible the small ones are!

The cigarette sized models ARE weak and not satisfying. If you want some satisfaction and want to forever be a non-smoker, come to the dark side. Yes, they're kinda big and weird at first, but you quickly get used to it. Bigger ecig means more battery life and less bs. The set-up I have right now is extremely satisfying and hits much harder than a cigarette (throat-hit).

If you do decide to go bigger, don't buy an overpriced clearomizer at a local store. Buy either a Kanger Evod or Mini Aerotank and Vision Spinner battery online. 1300mah Spinner would last all day, but you probably want 2 of the smaller ones to start with.

Please don't think your Blu experience = All ecigs. There is much better out there, if you're willing to step outside your comfort zone. If I can do it, literally anyone can. I loved loved loved smoking. One day my throat and lungs were hurting from chain-smoking so many menthols. I remembered seeing the Ecig ads at my local tobacco shop and thought 'F it, I'll go see what they have'. That was a year ago and I've smoked maybe 2 cigarettes since, and they just reminded me how nasty they truly taste. You can taste the carbon monoxide like you're breathing in log fire smoke. *shudders*. Oh yeah, long story short, if I can you can. Do it before they tax the crap out of them and possibly ban the good devices.

Oh as a side note, the vaping community is freaking out about these regulations precisely because of that. If the proposed regulations aren't changed, it would leave only crappy big tobacco owned ecigs available. Most of us can not and will not accept that, because they're just not good enough.

Ok I'm done. For tonight

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Miccey

That's actually a symptom of quitting smoking, I believe, not due to using ecigs. I had "quit" smoking cold-turkey many times over the past few decades and each time, my teeth got sensitive and my gums would bleed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join