It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being underemployed is boring, so go on an adventure!.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
My personal opinon (I haven't read the responses previous to mine) as a younger person who has been on a couple similar excursions to kind of press the "reset button" on life (nature is good for the soul), is to ditch the computer, bring the firearm, bring the solar panel (a luxury as you stated, that could save your life... you never know), bring some kind of cell phone, and bring your dog if you can pull it off somehow.

I don't know you from anything other than this thread you started, but I can't explain in English just how well I understand you and feel where you're coming from. An adventure like this could easily be the best thing that has happened in all your years, but it could also be the worst. "Prior planning prevents piss poor performance" ... don't get in your vehicle and drive until you run out of gas, man - I've been in that kind of scenario and can attest to how counterproductive such an experience can be.

I've rafted the Grand Canyon and I've kayaked some of the best rivers in the US including the Rogue River multiple times so if you need any info on living on the banks of a river for extended periods of time I can help you out (that being said, I have no idea of your experience level on the water so please don't take offense if you're a seasoned boater). And if by some stretch you end up in Maine on one of our great bodies of water I'd be happy to help you resupply.

The most important things to take into consideration are the essentials of life. It's so easy for us to forget about what we really need to survive in our techno-world we live in today. Food, water, shelter, clothing, and (not necessary but very important) companionship. That's why I suggested bring your dog. If you play an instrument bring that, because if you do this right you should have some time to yourself to not only survive, but thrive as a spirit.

I have so much more I could share but I don't know if it's wanted or appreciated. More than anything I want to say that from what I've told you I hope you get out of it that I support your endeavor completely.

edit on 2014-05-04T18:49:30-05:002014300549kSunAmerica/ChicagobSun, 04 May 2014 18:49:30 -0500 by cosmikDebris because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
In case you haven't noticed, there is no such thing as stability for anyone in any career anymore, believe me I have actually tried to get re-established.

I even considered going back to school, but going into debt to go to school before one has a reliable and stable income in a job that won't go away is ass backwards if you really look at the educational scheme they are playing nowadays.

People with bachelors degrees waiting tables and working at McDonalds to pay student loans because they can't find any other employment, gimme a break.

Oh, and by the way, nobody has any real future anyway, it's all contrived to keep you thinking the way you do.

I'll take your post as a compliment so you and I can sleep easier....

a reply to: projectbane

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
My computer doubles as a cell-phone, and can also be used for navigation via goole earth and delorme gps software, I even have a hot-spot that allows the use of email and google earth which doesn't cost me a cent to use ever, as long as there is cell-phone coverage. De Lorme doesn't even require that it's stand alone.

I probably will bring the fire arm since it really shouldn't cause any problems in it's locked case disassembled, I will just have to practice reassembling it quickly again, storage of ammo is a non issue too with waterproof cases which I already have.

I was being sarcastic about driving till I ran out of gas, I really don't like driving, it's too damned easy...anybody with a few bucks and two brain cells can do it even if they shouldn't or don't even need to be on the road at all.

And I have realized that people really don't need all that much to stay alive.

I wasted a lot of time in my life chasing my tail, chasing the wind, chasing money and other "stuff", but when I got sick and was recovering I had the time to look around and realize that nearly everyone is doing the same thing and somehow pretending to like it.

Anyway, thanks for your words of support, I may hit you for more information later.

a reply to: cosmikDebris

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

Sounds like you're doing it right!! Best of luck in your travels ... and remember ... Enjoy Life!!

We'll miss you when you don't have Internet access.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Please delete this Mods. Thank you.
edit on 5/4/2014 by GoldenObserver because: Wrong reply recipiant.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmikDebris

Why don't you get a GoPro and set up a website to stream some of the adventure. With a little momentum and some AD space sold you could make a lil' stability money.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
My underemployed adventures consist entirely of riding back roads in my truck looking for scrap metal.Profitable and fun lol.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
That firearm doesn't look very disassembled on that bike of yours (nice bike btw), lol. What were you planning to cut the zip ties with when the SHTF?

Good luck in your adventures regardless.
edit on 4-5-2014 by 7918465230 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The fire arm on the bike was just an experiment to see how the thing could be mounted on the bike when assembled, the gun has a folding stock in it's original form but it is locked in place. I don't believe t's lawful to possess the weapon with the stock being foldable without some kind of special permit or whatever. It would obviously be better in it's original form for carrying or whatever with the folded stock and stub barrel. It is an Special Weapons SW760 9mm carbine based on a Karl Gustav MK76 SMG from around WW2. With a long barrel a little 9mm can make a lot of muzzle velocity and because of that this weapon can get pretty good range and accuracy.

The bike is a Giant VT 2 with a Magura Mid-Ego fork, full SRAM X7 and X9 components, Grimeca System 8 hydraulic disc brakes with 600mm rotors, Halo Tornado front wheel with spin doctor hub Velocity Chukker rear rim with Velocity Hub I had custom built. The bike is mostly off-the -shelf stuff but carefully chosen without going for the outright cheap junk that you can get anywhere....

Thaanks, I like my bike too.

a reply to: 7918465230

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I was considering buying a GoPro before I broke my shoulder last april, couldn't lay down the cash after I lost my job, and already had a website set up and still do, just nothing going on with the website right now...a reply to: GoldenObserver

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I would do that if I had a vehicle I could do that with, my corolla gets stuck easy and won't tow much.

Good that you can make the best of a not-so-good situation and keep keeping on.

a reply to: GreysAreGays

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If you want to up the amount of your take when selling scrap, go to the scrapyard and ask for a tour to find out exactly what processes they perform on various items after you sell them raw scrap and perform those tasks yourself before selling it to them, just come across as curious, don't tell them why.

Believe it or not, some of what you don't get paid is because of those steps they have to take before they can sell it to the recycling facility or those who buy from them.

One of my first jobs as an adult was working at a scrapyard, and a lot of that stuff like washers and dryers and microwaves, old computers and cell-phones, contains traces of some very valuable material which can be separated out and saved up over time in something as small as a coffee can or barrel to be sold for a tidy sum after enough is collected.

I found at least 100 old phones in the road on my bike trip north in 2011, so many that I stopped picking the things up, but there are more traces of valuable materials in them per pound than almost anything else, look for them too because they are literally everywhere you look if you are alert.

Many of these methods are conveniently covered on YouTube, the internet is one of the greatest things ever to happen to mankind, use it as a tool to pull yourself up.

If you want to do the extra work you can make some reasonable income from scrapping, otherwise too much of your effort is wasted because of what you don't get paid for.

Drive On !!..

a reply to: GreysAreGays

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

What is future? There is no future for anyone who doesn't appreciate herself and the life itself. Let him live his adventure and don't try to be "realistic" when it is fundamentally wrong what you are trying to say.
edit on 12-5-2014 by deccal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Your support is most appreciated.

Thank You.

a reply to: deccal

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Not much happening regarding preparation to paddle away, still haven't been able to get an outrigger pontoon that will meet my expectations yet.

Have been considering again doing the land route because I have all of the gear I need to ride pretty much anywhere on my bicycle.

Getting rid of all the junk one is surrounded by such as extra clothes, meaningless hobby junk and all of the other clutter one collects while trying to kill the pain of being trapped like an animal can be quite freeing, going wherever without worrying about the junk one leaves behind for others to deal with, or paying for storage, or having to come back to deal with things left behind like I did last time I went on walkabout which is still the case right now....

Anyone need a higher end bike frame?, I have several...

I don't mean "need" as in to sell it on Ebay either, I mean to build your personal freedom machine to enjoy those things we are led to take for granted like our health.....

Anyway....

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
My unemployed adventures have been hunting for gold.

I always used my metal detecting and mining experience when jobs were hard to find.

During those economic down turns the price of gold went up so they were handy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join