It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado's newist problem: Exploding houses!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Recent fires put new focus on hash oil production

Okay so you all know by now Colorado has legalized pot as of the first of the year.
What no one counted on was this law creating a huge problem. that being we've seen a rash of exploding houses due to people trying to cook hash oil!

there has already been over a dozen home explosions in the greater Denver Metro area, nine to date in the city proper. Nine more over in Grand Junction and the problem is getting worse.

A quick check of the latest headlines on the subject will net you this
Hash Oil Explosions Becoming A Dangerous Trend
Neighbor whose home was damaged by Littleton hash oil explosion ...
Two children caught in marijuana oil explosion
Police Say Hash Oil Operations on the Rise

people have died, property damaged, children placed in danger.
And it's not just happening here.

Now we don't just have to worry about the crack cookers blowing up the neighborhood. Hash Oil producers seem to be better at causing destruction and the problem is only getting worse

I'm not smart enough to even guess at an answer--- But I sure would hate to be living next-door to one of these houses when it goes 'BOOM"

edit on 4-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Ah. The hash makings gone wrong? There's no content here though mate!

edit: I'll give ya a minute to fix it. We've all been there.
edit on 4-5-2014 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

I agree this is a big problem. I live in Colorado as well - Springs area. I do not know the exact number but I think there have been about 3 of these explosions in the Springs. I am in support of the new marijuana laws however it should probably be made illegal for one to attempt to make concentrates in their home. I dont know really and granted this wont stop everyone but it will certainly deter some.

Currently, Butane canisters specifically made for ' Running ' (the process they use to get the hash from the plant buds) are sold by the bundle in every head shop in the state. Really, the technique these idiots are using to attempt to make the stuff is not dangerous if common sense safety precautions are used....

Do not work with flammable gases unless outside or in an extremely well ventalated area! Simple. Rocket science to these people to not run off a bunch of butane inside their own enclosed abodes apparently...

SSnF for bringing skme atention to this issue.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This is not just a Colorado problem. Here in New York there were a couple kids who blew themselves up. You can't illegalize stupidity

+10 more 
posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

No. It's not cooking. The problem is inadequate ventilation during butane extraction.

EDIT:

I'd also like to point out that every year at Thanksgiving there are dozens of stories of people burning themselves and their property while attempting to deep fry turkeys. Nobody is promoting a ban on Thanksgiving or deep frying.
edit on 2014-5-4 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Clearly, not enough students paying attention in science class...

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The government needs to step up and give free classes in production, that is, if they intend to collect their cut of the profits.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

They will never make them stop selling Butane.

I have one of those portable gas burners for cooking on... it takes a Butane cartage too.
So even if you could get the head shops from carrying them... all the cooking and camping store have em too.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Thinning the herd .. just feel bad for innocent people who live near the idiots who blow themselves up .. no sympathy for the idiots they get what they deserve ..
edit on 4/5/14 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I'd also like to point out that every year at Thanksgiving there are dozens of stories of people burning themselves and their property while attempting to deep fry turkeys. Nobody is promoting a ban on Thanksgiving or deep frying.

Simple, They can't sell the dangerous health effects as no one buys that anymore,

So now they must make a new Danger to scare the sheep.

Butane extraction is dangerous at best, people just being too cheep to purchase it from a legal place and make their own.

Any Idiot is dangerous, if hes frying a turkey, or extracting butane hash oil.

Its the person not the task hes doing that causes the problem.

+3 more 
posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The extraction process is simple and safe if done outdoors with no smoking or open flame precautions.....
No amount of legislation will prevent stupidity...................This is anti pot propaganda......

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It's not the government's job to educate Joe Stoner on how to not blow his house up by not using lab equipment and techniques about which they have no formal knowledge aside from what they were told on a drug forum online.

Drug users need to leave the chemistry to the chemists. Very rarely, from my experiences and observations, does any multi-step extraction or synthesis (not just talking about drugs) with multiple chemicals involved, work out when the person doing it is a drug user first and a "chemist" second.

Never ever should you use butane like that inside. It should be done outdoors by these people, if they must do it themselves. Seems obvious to me.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

No...Pot is legal here now
and with the huge inflow of tax dollars will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Pot Legal Hash Oil is not---

you cant call this propaganda when all it is---is stupid people breaking the law and blowing up 'S**T' in the process!

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It doesn't matter, the anti-pot people will spin this like "this wouldn't happen if cannabis were illegal".

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
I'm not smart enough to even guess at an answer--- But I sure would hate to be living next-door to one of these houses when it goes 'BOOM"

Education always goes a long way to contributing to resolving a problem ...

let me appear to digress for a mo ...
I see sooo many problem dogs around .. and abused dogs .... much of this could be stopped, by educating people on a few very simple concepts, what should already be common sense ... extremely simple aspects on how to care for a dog ... if even just h alf an hour to take the time to learn ...
i apply this same concept to many problems .. banning people from having dogs would stop problem dogs and abused dogs ... but is clearly not the ideal answer ... educating people is always the answer ...

Applies to most scenarios, including this one ... they are clearly making silly mistakes or it would not happen ... i know why my friends house has never exploded, cos he does it with no room for explosions, and it really is quite easy to do without blowing yourself up .. you could say they were probably out of it and not on teh ball for the task at hand .. or it shouldn't be allowed, etc ... but quite simply, i reckon they clearly didn't have a clue, cos if they did it exactly as it should be done, together with a bit of basic common sense, this would not have happened ...

That said, .. the methods are quite crude and not ideal anyway, because the hobbyists and the ill, have been forced to do it this way .. i would far prefer to see tools created for this specific task, aimed at the home hobbyist, which has passed safety testing, and available for purchase ...

ETA - Also ... the idea that these young guys are doing this now because it's legal ... so .. prior to this, all these young men would have thought.. oh, lets not do that .. it's illegal ? ... eh ... either somethin's not quite sittin right with that logic, or i have an unrealistic outlook on the younger generation then ...

i can honestly say .. for all the people ive ever hung around with .. when it comes to drink, or any of these other things ... whether legal, or not, had zero effect on whether they chose to partake ... and i wouldn't be surprised, if the contrary, we had a slight excitement knowing it was wrong, and the police would be doing their rounds soon ... kids will be kids ... and humans will always be human, doing what they do regardless ... but once educated, they cannot unlearn what they learned, only choose to ignore it ...
edit on 4-5-2014 by Segenam because: ... I just love to edit ....

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Segenam

Education always goes a long way to contributing to resolving a problem ...

let me appear to digress for a mo ...
I see sooo many problem dogs around .. and abused dogs .... much of this could be stopped, by educating people on a few very simple concepts, what should already be common sense ... extremely simple aspects on how to care for a dog ... if even just h alf an hour to take the time to learn ...
i apply this same concept to many problems .. banning people from having dogs would stop problem dogs and abused dogs ... but is clearly not the ideal answer ... educating people is always the answer ...

Applies to most scenarios, including this one ... they are clearly making silly mistakes or it would not happen ... i know why my friends house has never exploded, cos he does it with no room for explosions, and it really is quite easy to do without blowing yourself up .. you could say they were probably out of it and not on teh ball for the task at hand .. or it shouldn't be allowed, etc ... but quite simply, i reckon they clearly didn't have a clue, cos if they did it exactly as it should be done, together with a bit of basic common sense, this would not have happened ...

That said, .. the methods are quite crude and not ideal anyway, because the hobbyists and the ill, have been forced to do it this way .. i would far prefer to see tools created for this specific task, aimed at the home hobbyist, which has passed safety testing, and available for purchase ...

Exactly, the government needs to step up and do some forward-thinking and more far reaching legalization on this issue, perhaps to allow the entrepreneurial chemist grads freedom to invent these kits with detailed instructions (non-Ikea format), as well as offering a "call a chemist" direct toll free number.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

We're finally making headway in getting MJ legal across the country and now we have the idiots coming out of the woodwork, it doesn't take many to give this whole legalization movement a bad name and jepordizing what many of have been waiting for many many years, 45 yrs for me.

I live in a state that just now legalized Charlotte's Web, we're hoping to get all strains legal for medical use in Nov. With this hitting the news I'm afraid the ultra conservatives are going to be pushing the hash oil explosions to keep people in fear.
edit on 4-5-2014 by 2manyholes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Well, Even the most experienced people make mistakes. But you are correct. I feel if people are going to make hash, don't be high while doing it....

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
Most of those things are available, its a very simple process but you cant fix stupid im afraid . It is troubling for the movement but there is no closing the door now. Many house fires are due to stupidity in general.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

a reply to: stirling

No...Pot is legal here now
and with the huge inflow of tax dollars will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Pot Legal Hash Oil is not---

you cant call this propaganda when all it is---is stupid people breaking the law and blowing up 'S**T' in the process!

Yes it is legal. They sell cookies and candies made from hash oil legally in the dispensaries.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

Do not work with flammable gases unless outside or in an extremely well ventalated area! Simple. Rocket science to these people to not run off a bunch of butane inside their own enclosed abodes apparently...

SSnF for bringing skme atention to this issue.

Exactly, the guys who were making it probably decided to smoke up halfway through lol.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join