It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fires in north Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Many fires appear in farming areas along rivers. While North Korea’s best agricultural land is located on the coastal plain in the western part of the country, many people farm marginal land along rivers in the mountainous areas. They use fire to clear debris from last year’s crop and to help fertilize the soil for the coming season.

This can't be good for a land plagued by famine.

I wonder if this will cause a delay in the up coming nuclear test, as now might be a good time to bargain for food.

Fires in north korea

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: benrl

Hmmmm with the current food crisis in North Korea I wonder how long will it takes before the people finally snap to the point where enough is enough.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Hmmmm with the current food crisis in North Korea I wonder how long will it takes before the people finally snap to the point where enough is enough.

Which makes the situation perilous, nothing quells descent like a shooting war with your neighbors.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Burning off crop stubble is actually quite common. They also do it in wheat fields. I'm not seeing the connection with this being anything unusual. Must simply be coming up to planting time again.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
Burning off crop stubble is actually quite common. They also do it in wheat fields. I'm not seeing the connection with this being anything unusual. Must simply be coming up to planting time again.

It seems to be effecting the forest as well, and the large number of them is what is unusual.

However, some of the fires were burning in heavily forested areas, suggesting that they might be wildfires. Drooping wires on aging power lines are a common cause of wildfires in North Korea, according to a report published in the Asia-Pacific Journal.
Collectively, the fires were producing enough smoke to send plumes of haze drifting east over the Sea of Japan.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Yeah, I read that. Wildfires affect australia and California and other parts of the world too. Its obviously dry there right now, so one would assume that they are burning off stubble ready for the rains to come. Rice grows in flooded fields, so wouldn't burn very easily while growing.

The article also says that power cables drop and cause fires in forests. Thats what you get when you have crappy infrastructure.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Nah, Americans have it much worse, and they won't get off the couch to save themselves.Dancing with the star's and all that.The Korean's have it much better, so why would they. Ain't like there isn't poor starving American's are there?

new topics

top topics

join