It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration moves to virtually kill the internet?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Reports have been circulating that the Obama administration is trying to destroy the internet by killing off net-neutrality. In order to see if the claims check out, you need to meet Tom Wheeler. Just who is Tom Wheeler? If you credit Kathleen Sebelius with the death of the American healthcare system, you could soon credit Wheeler with the death of the internet, or at the very least, as we know it to be now. The Obama administration’s supposed plan is an innate result of crony corporatism and could well be their next big lie.

While the title seems rather sensationalist, this story is worthy of investigation and exploration. I don't think the majority of the public is aware of the consequences of destroying net-neutrality. You would be well served to find out how this would affect you.

In November, 2013, President Obama appointed Wheeler to head-up the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). First, never mind that Wheeler raised more than $700,000 for Obama’s two elections.

Second, never mind that 2007 presidential candidate Obama made a solemn promise to protect internet neutrality while visiting Google headquarters in California.

“We have to ensure free and open exchange of information. That starts with an open internet. I will take a backseat to no one in my commitment to network neutrality. Because once providers start to privilege some applications or websites over others then the smaller voices get squeezed out and we all lose. The internet is perhaps the most open network in history, and we have to keep it that way.”

The article from Ben Swann was sourced from an article that RT ran:
FCC denies plans to kill net neutrality

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Net Neutrality

Net neutrality (also network neutrality or Internet neutrality) is the principle that Internet service providers and governments should treat all data on the Internet equally, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, and modes of communication. The term was coined by Columbia media law professor Tim Wu in 2003 as an extension of the longstanding concept of a common carrier.[1][2][3][4] Proponents often see net neutrality as an important component of an open internet, where policies such as equal treatment of data and open web standards allow those on the internet to easily communicate and conduct business without interference from a third party.[5] A "closed internet" refers to the opposite situation, in which established corporations or governments favor certain uses. A closed internet may have restricted access to necessary web standards, artificially degrade some services, or explicitly filter out content.

There has been extensive debate about whether net neutrality should be required by law, particularly in the United States. Debate over the issue of net neutrality predates the coining of the term. Advocates of net neutrality such as Lawrence Lessig have raised concerns about the ability of broadband providers to use their last mile infrastructure to block Internet applications and content (e.g. websites, services, and protocols), and even block out competitors.

edit on 4/30/2014 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: freakjive

You have to admit this isn't surprising. The government could never let the people have control over something as powerful as the internet.

Internet censorship and corporatisation was always coming.

The only 2 questions you needed to be asking were:

When will they try and take it from us?

and

Are we going to sit back and let them?

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Second, never mind that 2007 presidential candidate Obama made a solemn promise to protect internet neutrality while visiting Google headquarters in California.

THAT "promise" alone tells me his real intentions are the opposite of what he says.

He managed to butter up enough of the voters to get elected twice.

Obama = Mr. Opposite

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I saw it coming.............

Especially after reading between the lines of Hillary Clinton!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I bet the administration would love to control the internet... Especially with stuff like this going viral...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

He has been wanting to try to "kill the internet" for sometime. I think it would hurt the infrastructure on the economy (what's left of it) if they actually did it. Which I still find it hard to believe that it could be successful.

Obama can do whatever he wants though remember he "has a pen and a phone". What a clown.

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This is happening in many countries, probably not Obama's master plan, but part of the global agenda.

First comes monitoring, then follows restriction(where most of us are), then comes the hammer.
edit on 4/30/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Well I don't think it's a plan to kill off the internet, that would piss off the leash holders behind this whole mess which wouldn't be too smart of any politician. This plan won't kill off the internet, as far as I can tell it's going to divide the internet into classes... first class and the rest of us class. The claim is that the new rules won't slow down or block content in other words the internet for us second class citizens won't change at all but will get hugely better for those willing to pay much more. Somehow we're supposed to believe that it won't negatively affect the have less. Gotta love cronyism.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Just continuation of NWO march toward dictatorial rule as Alex Jones' "The Obama Deception" last year...this is chapter 1 content for next documentary by AJ if "Soebarka" doesn't kill him.

Anyone still feeding the beast by paying ISP's will eventually learn by their rates tripling.
I pay $40/month for Boost Mobile service (not sending my records to NSA) and use Panera Bread free wifi.

edit on 30-4-2014 by Granite because: sp

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This needs more attention. It all amounts to the deeper issue of the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Obama has been campaigning heavily for it. In short, it affects the internet, Monsanto getting the go ahead in many places, etc. globally.

"As Obama tries to lock down Trans-Pacific Partnership, huge first-of-its-kind international campaign shines a light on TPP’s secretive Internet censorship plan"

To date, all TPP negotiations have taken place in near-total secrecy, with just 600 industry lobbyists and government bureaucrats at the table. Citizens and public interest groups have been excluded from the talks.Source

All under secrecy.

There's a petition going on now(can't share here) an many sites opposing it.

-Reference

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Well with a Obama and his handy tech guys LOL, I think it will take years to find the damn power cord!!! He will think oh this will do the trick!!!

Pax

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silicis n Volvo

You have to admit this isn't surprising. The government could never let the people have control over something as powerful as the internet.

Internet censorship and corporatisation was always coming.

The only 2 questions you needed to be asking were:

When will they try and take it from us?

and

Are we going to sit back and let them?

Answers:
1. Now!
2. For the most part, probably.

As a side note this isn't about having one WWW for the rich and another for the poor, rather it is about controlling the information available to all.

Surrendering the internet to UN regulation. Good Idea? or Bad?
www.independentsentinel.com...
www.smh.com.au...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Here's how I see it.

Every government on this planet wants to restrict and control the internet, because they have all worked too damn hard to control the free press in their countries to just allow something more powerful to come along and render them powerless.

I have no doubt that prior to Obama being elected, he genuinely believed what he said, but then he IS a politician and no mater how smooth and cool he was I never could trust him.

Either way, just as with so many other things, he doesn't have the power to actually do much of anything. He cannot protect the internet from the likes of the NSA, the wealthiest corporations or powerful factions in government.

Why? Quite frankly it's because the US is not run by the people, and not run by the elected government. The US is run by money and military, agencies within the government that have solidified a private and powerful "club" over the last 50 years completely unchallenged.

Forget about the "NWO" and all the other nonsense, it's really quite clear that there is a group within the US government (and plenty of others) who abuse their positions for personal gain on a daily basis. They might explain it away with "protecting the nation", but it's on the whole bullsh*t.

Just look into who the CIA and NSA answer to... no one, no one at all.

Thank the likes of G Bush Snr.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If they do kill internet neutrality, we can always create our own private internet via radio frequencies and leave the ISP's in the dust.

The ISP's are really no longer needed to offer an internet through a phone line or cable tv line. It can all be done for free via wireless if only the right equipment were in place.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: freakjive

Reports have been circulating that the Obama administration is trying to destroy the internet by killing off net-neutrality. In order to see if the claims check out, you need to meet Tom Wheeler. Just who is Tom Wheeler? If you credit Kathleen Sebelius with the death of the American healthcare system, you could soon credit Wheeler with the death of the internet, or at the very least, as we know it to be now. The Obama administration’s supposed plan is an innate result of crony corporatism and could well be their next big lie.

While the title seems rather sensationalist, this story is worthy of investigation and exploration. I don't think the majority of the public is aware of the consequences of destroying net-neutrality. You would be well served to find out how this would affect you.

In November, 2013, President Obama appointed Wheeler to head-up the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). First, never mind that Wheeler raised more than $700,000 for Obama’s two elections.

“We have to ensure free and open exchange of information. That starts with an open internet. I will take a backseat to no one in my commitment to network neutrality. Because once providers start to privilege some applications or websites over others then the smaller voices get squeezed out and we all lose. The internet is perhaps the most open network in history, and we have to keep it that way.”

The article from Ben Swann was sourced from an article that RT ran:
FCC denies plans to kill net neutrality

Maybe he also wrote stuff into the TPP agreement to force Asian countries to abide by American policy when it comes to transmissions over the net.

Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement

What is the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP)?

The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a secretive, multi-national trade agreement that threatens to extend restrictive intellectual property (IP) laws across the globe and rewrite international rules on its enforcement. The main problems are two-fold:

(1) IP chapter: Leaked draft texts of the agreement show that the IP chapter would have extensive negative ramifications for users’ freedom of speech, right to privacy and due process, and hinder peoples' abilities to innovate.

(2) Lack of transparency: The entire process has shut out multi-stakeholder participation and is shrouded in secrecy.

The twelve nations currently negotiating the TPP are the US, Japan, Australia, Peru, Malaysia, Vietnam, New Zealand, Chile, Singapore, Canada, Mexico, and Brunei Darussalam. The TPP contains a chapter on intellectual property covering copyright, trademarks, patents and perhaps, geographical indications. Since the draft text of the agreement has never been offically released to the public, we know from leaked documents, such as the February 2011 draft US TPP IP Rights Chapter [PDF], that US negotiators are pushing for the adoption of copyright measures far more restrictive than currently required by international treaties, including the controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA).

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
They can't control the internet, the internet is the matrix its self aware and getting bigger, its skynet the future is here. Once the internet senses a threat from anyone it will shut them down and send an emp through their lines.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I believe that the internet was designed from alien technology. The greys want to know about everyone so what's the best way? Yep the internet a gateway to interstellar information which sends our human information to any beings. And yes aliens do use the internet but not the way we use it.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This might come as a shock to some, but the US doesn't control the "internet" - not that there is such a thing as "an internet" to control anyway. While net neutrality might be dead in the US, everywhere else it is actually being protected and strengthened, such as in the European Union

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sk8ergrl

HAHAHA, no, it wasn't.

There is nothing "alien" in the way the "internet" works. It's all relatively simple and straight forward, designed by Humans.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join