It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star cluster thrown out of galaxy at speed of more than 2 million mph....doom ON!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DARREN1976
If its taken 53. 5million years for the light from the event to reach us, and taking in to account expansion, , where would it actually be now?

It isn't really that much closer at all. it is "only" moving at 2 million mph. The speed of light is 671 Million mph, so (assuming a constant speed of 2 Million mph) in the 53.5 million years it took for its light to reach us, it moved "only" an additional 85,600 light years in the time it took for the light to reach us.

I guess what I'm saying is that 2,000,000 mph is relatively much slower than the speed of light, so this cluster moved only 0.16% of that distance in the 53,500,000 million years since that light left it. That's not really much of a distance in the broad scheme of things.

HOWEVER, and having said all of that, this cluster isn't even moving towards us. It's moving in a different direction.

edit on 5/2/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

160,000 light-years, actually, based on those values.
It's gone 0.3% of the distance the light from it has traveled.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: CLPrime
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

160,000 light-years, actually, based on those values.
It's gone 0.3% of the distance the light from it has traveled.

Thanks

Too many conversions; too little brain power devoted to them

But the bottom line is that even if the cluster was headed our way (which it isn't), it hasn't traveled very much of the 53,500,000 LY since the time it took for its light to travel to us. It would still take billions of years to get here, and by that time Earth itself will be a dead cinder.

edit on 5/2/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misinformation

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Soooo......yeah. They wing that story at us but don't give any details as to how long it would take to get here or anything, just that a large cluster of stars that is multiple light years across is hurtling towards us at 2 million miles per hour. Nothing to worry about though right?

Funny that they just throw that story out there......I would think the way this has been reported there are going to be a LOT of people saying WTF....how soon before it hits?

This is concerning ,, why would they let a good crisis go to waste...this doesn't fit their modus operandi

Maybe because this is no crisis at all? Apocalypses take a pretty long time on a cosmic scale.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: CLPrime
a reply to: MrInquisitive

2 million mph is 1/335 the speed of light, so the time is about 18 billion years. Of course, that extra 16.2 billion years doesn't make much of a difference.

Thanks for keeping me honest. Was using calculator that didn't have place-holding commas and refused to leave answers in scientific notation.

Yes, 18 billion years. Who knows if the universe will even be around in that much time.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
what about the theory that everything is expanding and our solar system is doom to dift into no where. Oh well i guess that theory is out the window.

So was the big bag in one direction or happening currently all right us in micro-explosions and implosions?
What a sec that wouldn't be the big bag at all. But it sure would make more sense to me.

I vouch that every molecule and atom when it exceeds the pressure that is binding the fragments of an atom together meaning a force so powerful it is able to rip an atom apart and recombine it as well as a few other atoms into a tightly compact unit, lacking electrons and protons this compressed mass ( much like a rare file) does not react with expanded mass.

So what happens is, these unfathable ammount of *black dots* take up the surface of the universe. When these particles hang around for billions of years they start to become unstable like radiation but unlike radiation the particles emitted are sub atomic particles that recombine into atoms and than back into molecules.

Such a process would allow currents in space much like how rivers have currents. This effect would be generated by the particles leaving a galaxy as well as the particles entering one, each magnetic layer, slowing down the entering ones causing the galaxies to spin in either direction of the currents...
So these stars being created and hurled kinda vouches for that idea

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join