It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism- Blatant Hipocrisy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfens
a reply to: luciddream

What you confuse as racism, is also a tool to use against people as an unspoken wedge. To get over on another.

Racism do exist, if you don't see it, you probably never had to experience the true racism.

The word you may be looking for is jealousy. Prideful people tend to attack on weaker folks regardless of race or ideology.

That maybe true, that does not negate the fact that people do attack others because of their preconceived ideas of certain skin colour.

Being since you're falling for it, you may be part of the problem.
The fact that people cry racism for the simple fact that people like you eat it up and defend a defenseless position is the same reason why people do it. Simply because it works.

You are calling me for seeing racism as someone fell into some trap, while i see you as someone too ignorant to see racism.

You know its not called using "race Card" when there is actual racism is present. you do know that right?

Some people call it "using race card" to dismiss the actual racism.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

I work and live with people of different race than me. Race has never been an issue because of a thing called common respect. If you were raised as I was, people start out 100% in your book. Their actions will take them down or bring them up. People give you reason to not like them and it has nothing to do with their skin color. I have never known any slave owners so... Racism is a defense mechanism used to obscure what the real problem is.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: QueenofSpades

What is the difference between Stirling and all those people you mentioned? All those other people didn't agree to a constitution which dictates how they would act and speak.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
Well, there is no picking and choosing. Either we have freedom of speech or we don't. You cannot sit there and back up Sterling's position with a freedom of speech justification then turn around and point fingers are what democrats are saying because they are protected by the same freedom of speech laws that you are using to back up Sterling.

Because what your saying is "Oh, what is said doesn't matter. But what those rappers and democrats said, that is true racism!" Come on, *sigh*. Freedom of speech is freedom is speech. There is a reason why you can't yell fire in a crowded room.

He is an owner of an NBA franchise. That is a brand. A GLOBAL BRAND. How are you going to market your product to other countries, with comments like his floating around? Don't record yourself saying things about a group of people unless you are willing to back up your statements or face the consequences.

The players have moral contract when they sign and so do the owners. He didn't live up to it and is now facing the consequences.

Yes, like you said, either we have freedom of speech or we don't. The point that you missed was that if blacks have the freedom to use racial slurs (against another race or their own), then whites should have that same freedom.

Instead, whites are quickly vilified and called racists.

Plus, you put words into my mouth...I never said that the Democratic Politicians and rappers were "true racists" (even though they clearly are). I said that SINCE they can say it with no uproar, why couldn't Sterling do the same thing??

Also, you say that the NBA is a brand and comments like that can't be floating around...he didn't float them around, did he?

He said them in the privacy of his home. THAT is my issue, and I'm not quite clear how you are able to deny this....

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

What is the difference between Stirling and all those people you mentioned? All those other people didn't agree to a constitution which dictates how they would act and speak.

Not quite what you are asking here, but I'll give it a shot.

I was simply making the point that since no uproar occurs when Lil Wayne or Niki Minaj says the 'N' word about 45 times in one song, why is there an uproar because a white man doen't like his girlfriend hanging with blacks?

Why are we expected to laugh at Jamie Fox saying, 'It was fun to kill all the white people"?

How can (insert any gangster rapper) publically state how they will murder 'N' 's several times in one song, but Sterling can't say "Don't be on instagram with blacks?"

Yes, let's establish "the difference".

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
You asked for some sort of evidence that Jay Z is racist. Not that anything I linked is concrete, it is something.

So, even though the stuff you linked to doesn't prove he's racist, it still has value in proving he's racist? OK...

That being said, if people believe that using the "N" word equates to racism, wouldn't it also be fair to say using the "C" word (cracka) alse equates to the same?

Well, I can't speak for or explain what some people think. Using the N-word or the C-word (although that isn't the C-word I was talking about earlier) is not necessarily racist, in my opinion. Using words doesn't bother me. The obvious attitude that Sterling has towards minorities bothers me. Systemic racism bothers me. Song lyrics - not so much.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
I personally think "freedom of Speech" means you are free to offend anybody you like with your bigotry....
How else can everyone else determine who and what YOU are?......just askin...

Sorry but freedom of speech doesn't include hate speech. People determine who other people are by their actions as well as their words.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: QueenofSpades
Yes, like you said, either we have freedom of speech or we don't. The point that you missed was that if blacks have the freedom to use racial slurs (against another race or their own), then whites should have that same freedom.

Whites DO have that same freedom. The man is not in jail, right? He hasn't been arrested. He's free to be a racist.

Also, you say that the NBA is a brand and comments like that can't be floating around...he didn't float them around, did he?

He said them in the privacy of his home. THAT is my issue, and I'm not quite clear how you are able to deny this....

Whether or not he knew he was being recorded is not known. He routinely had his girlfriend record him, so it's very possible he knew he was being recorded. He is trying to keep old recordings of himself out of the press.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Yes, let's establish "the difference".

It has been explained several times. If you don't understand it, you're not going to.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Buster....Who exactly determines what is "Hate Speech" ?

I would love it if nobody's feeling ever got hurt.

It's just not reality. As long as you do not threaten violence.

It's really just a lot of air...

ADD: Best thread I have read on the subject. S&F

edit on 30-4-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You are missing TorqueythePig's point. And please, I'm not being rude.

They were trying to show you the hipocrisy with accusations of racism. Jay Z and other rappers can not only say the 'n' word and talk about harm they will cause other blacks, but they can also call out other racial slurs and describe harm they will cause them.

But it is no uproar.

If you want to say that blacks can't be labled as racists when they use the slur toward other blacks, then you have to determine if using the 'n' word itself is racist at all.

Either it is or it isn't.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I personally don't think instagram with blacks is what got Sterling into trouble. But rather his remarks of how blacks are regarded in Israel which he seemed to support. You cannot say that whites are a hundred times better than blacks and not expect blacks or people who are against racism to not get upset over it. When Sterling bought the Clippers he agreed to the constitution so he should be forced to abide by it Mark Cuban said the owners have to live by it.

So there is no difference Sterling agreed to it so he should be forced to live by it or get out of the game.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I am speaking of his "freedom" in terms of being villified by the social media and the national public. Freedom in the sense that he has been fined 2.5 million dollars.

The fact that the NBA has such a clause in the 1st place....

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

Thanks!!!

Your post states my sentiments EXACTLY!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Hate speech is speech that offends, threatens, or insults groups, based on race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or other traits.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

They were trying to show you the hipocrisy with accusations of racism. Jay Z and other rappers can not only say the 'n' word and talk about harm they will cause other blacks, but they can also call out other racial slurs and describe harm they will cause them.

Does rappers have a constitution saying they can't make the kind of remarks? I bet not but the NBA does. There is the difference you have been looking for.

link   

Jay Z and other rappers can not only say the 'n' word and talk about harm they will cause other blacks, but they can also call out other racial slurs and describe harm they will cause them.

But it is no uproar.

There IS uproar. You are making an uproar. Most in this thread are making an uproar. Look on the internet for "Jay-Z racist" and there is plenty of uproar. But those making an uproar are NOT fans of Jay-Z. In the case of Sterling, those making the uproar were his fans, players and the commission of which he was a member.

If you want to say that blacks can't be labled as racists when they use the slur toward other blacks, then you have to determine if using the 'n' word itself is racist at all.

I don't believe words are racist. I believe the intent is what's important.

link   

I personally don't think instagram with blacks is what got Sterling into trouble. But rather his remarks of how blacks are regarded in Israel which he seemed to support. You cannot say that whites are a hundred times better than blacks and not expect blacks or people who are against racism to not get upset over it. When Sterling bought the Clippers he agreed to the constitution so he should be forced to abide by it Mark Cuban said the owners have to live by it.

So there is no difference Sterling agreed to it so he should be forced to live by it or get out of the game.

Ohh...this makes it even more hipocrytical!!

You state that the remarks that really did it was his comment that whites are a hundred times better than blacks?

Oh wow...where do I begin..

Let's see:

Jamie Fox " BLACK PEOPLE ARE THE MOST TALENTED PEOPLE ON THE PLANET" for starters... but really, you keep saying that we should expect blacks to be offended with his statement?

Why? It was not a public statement. Who technically did he offend?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I am speaking of his "freedom" in terms of being villified by the social media and the national public.

We have no such freedom. Where do you get the idea that we have the freedom to say whatever we want without facing consequences? You can say just about anything you want, but if people don't like it, they are free to let you know.

Freedom in the sense that he has been fined 2.5 million dollars.

He violated the NBA Constitution.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Hate speech is speech that offends, threatens, or insults groups, based on race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or other traits.

In that case, goodbye Hollywood and gangster rap.

Threatens or insults? Have you heard ANY of modern day rap music?

Sexual Orientation, religion, disability? Again, have you heard any of modern day rap music?

AGAIN...my thread title proves to be valid. If Jamie Fox, Lil Wayne' Niki Minaj, and Jay Z (ONLY naming a FEW) can make these kinds of "hate lyrics", why is Mr. Sterling being villified?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join