It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If people acted like this guy..gun owners wouldn't an issue.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Two Suspects Who Dragged Mom Across a Parking Lot Get a Swift Lesson in Texas’ Concealed Carry Law Read more at www.liveleak.com...

I have an issue with most gun owners..the way they talk and such. They make themselves out to be blood thirsty and just as vicious as the criminals they are supposed to be better than.

This guy brings respect to those gun owners..he stopped a crime without killing anyone. I repeat no deaths involved.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

That is the proper way to use a gun-- in public-- in a situation such as this one

Calm, cool, collected and NOT trigger happy
Good ending for all....

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
The problem with this is, the person holding the gun has absolutely NO legal right to fire the gun unless he or she is defending their life. The persons on the ground, at their own risk, could just ignore the gun holder. Having a concealed weapons permit, or as in my state, where it is not required, doesn't mean you are law enforcement and can shoot someone not threatening you directly. It is a risk though! And there is still a citizen's arrest but still.... being armed does not mean that you won't get in trouble for shooting someone in public.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
Two Suspects Who Dragged Mom Across a Parking Lot Get a Swift Lesson in Texas’ Concealed Carry Law Read more at www.liveleak.com...

I have an issue with most gun owners..the way they talk and such. They make themselves out to be blood thirsty and just as vicious as the criminals they are supposed to be better than.

This guy brings respect to those gun owners..he stopped a crime without killing anyone. I repeat no deaths involved.

Most gun owners? Most gun owners don't talk about being gun owners.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: jaxnmarko

Actually most states that have a CCW laws also have on the books the right to use force in protection of yourself as well as to come to the aid of another.

Grim

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Other than armed government agents, which gun owners are "blood thirsty and vicious"? Where are the examples?

I hope youre not referring to people defending themselves within their own homes.

Because its not the resident's responsibility to determine why someone is breaking into their home. The intruder could be a burglar, a rapist, a murderer or all of the above.

Criminals, youve been put on notice. If you invade someone's home, the resident is legally allowed to use deadly force.

My advice: dont break into people's homes.

Problem solved.

a reply to: jaxnmarko

originally posted by: jaxnmarko
The problem with this is, the person holding the gun has absolutely NO legal right to fire the gun unless he or she is defending their life.

This is my understanding as well, that a person can only draw their weapon IF they fear for their lives.

You cant even pull up your shirt to reveal that you have a firearm because that can be construed as intimidation.

In some places, the good Samaritan in this video would not have been permitted to draw his weapon because he wasnt in fear of losing his life.

Obviously, its good that things worked out but depending on the state and the insanity of the local cops and DA, he could have been facing felony charges.

edit on 30-4-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
You can shoot a criminal without killing them... That's what knees are for lol

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Cheesy459

And that is how lawsuits are won to...shoot a criminal and injure it, and you pay for it your remaining life. If you unholster your weapon, shoot to kill.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I am not sure which gun owners you have been speaking to, but as I know, most would much rather have a gun and never have to use it taking a life.

But to get back to the OP, the guy with the CCW didn't pay attention to his training. Holding someone hostage is a felony and that is what he was doing. Sure he was helping the woman who had her purse snatched, but by the law, he cannot hold anyone against their will at gunpoint. (for clarity this is the law in NC)

I hope the cops see it his way and don't charge him.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Police said a woman had just parked her car in front of the store when a woman approached her and grabbed her purse. The alleged thief took the purse and dashed to a waiting silver Lexus, which was driven by a man. The victim screamed.

A man in another car nearby heard the screams, pulled out his pistol and rushed to the victim's aid. He stopped the would-be robbers, holding them at gunpoint until the police arrived.

Police identified the suspects as Shamarion Daina Brooks, 34, and 48-year-old Jesse Leroy Grace. They were both taken into custody and charged with robbery by threat, police said. Police said Brooks also was charged with possession of a controlled substance while Grace was also charged with driving a stolen vehicle.

Police said the Good Samaritan, whose name has not been released, had a permit to carry a handgun.

Link

Always helps to check the weapons laws of the state.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
sad thing is after a slap on the wrist, these two will be out on the the street doing the same thing.
only difference will be, they would have learned to beat or kill their next victim.
edit on 30-4-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Wow, blanket statement on gun owners. Methinks that you don't know very many gun owners with the majority of the ones you do know being on this forum.

The actions in your link are great, but the thread could have done without the poorly reasoned back handed compliment.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

The problem with this is, the person holding the gun has absolutely NO legal right to fire the gun unless he or she is defending their life. The persons on the ground, at their own risk, could just ignore the gun holder. Having a concealed weapons permit, or as in my state, where it is not required, doesn't mean you are law enforcement and can shoot someone not threatening you directly. It is a risk though! And there is still a citizen's arrest but still.... being armed does not mean that you won't get in trouble for shooting someone in public.

You may be mistaken unless Texas law has been revised because when I lived there it was legal to use any level of force when preventing the commission of a felony - did not matter if civilian or police.

Best example was at Irving Mall in Irving TX. back in the eighties which was a time before CCL's were available, A good Samaritan noticed an attempted abduction in the parking lot and shot the perpetrator dead with his .44 magnum which he had in his pickup.

It was also legal to protect property from misdemeanor theft using lethal force so long as it was after official sunset time.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

The majority of self defense cases and stopping crime by armed citizens result in no shootings. The man, a legal CCW holder, used his firearm to stop and detain the criminals. This is the whole point of CCW.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I am not sure which gun owners you have been speaking to, but as I know, most would much rather have a gun and never have to use it taking a life.

But to get back to the OP, the guy with the CCW didn't pay attention to his training. Holding someone hostage is a felony and that is what he was doing. Sure he was helping the woman who had her purse snatched, but by the law, he cannot hold anyone against their will at gunpoint. (for clarity this is the law in NC)

No it isn't. What he did was perfectly legal under NC law. What he did, in effect, was make a citizen's arrest and detain the criminals for law enforcement arrival. It is commonly done in NC and they are usually no-billed by the DA.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Last I saw 1/3 of Americans legally own guns or have family members who legally own guns. You just said that those law abiding citizens are bloodthirsty and vicious. That's absurd. If it were true, then those law abiding citizens would be out causing crimes instead of stopping them by being armed and self protecting.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Not true. Most states have laws that say you can use your firearm to defend the lives of others to stop death, rape, or severe bodily injury, and stop a felony in progress.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Actually, it was a citizen's arrest which is lawful in Texas and most other states. A citizen's arrest is dangerous and has the potential for civil lawsuits but if it is done properly and under the right circumstances it is no way "holding someone hostage". Link for Texas law

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The problem for guns owners is you have a small loud group that loves to make a spectacle of themselves. They parade around on TV or YouTube spouting off about being a patriot and the Evil government and want open carry weapons around for no other reason than for attention. Then you have the other group or irresponsible owners who let their kids get their weapons and shoot themselves, leave loaded and shoot themselves or somebody they know or do not secure the weapon properly and it gets stolen. No suprise most weapons used in crimes started off in the hands of legal gun owners. Then you have the wanna be cowboys who go around shooting unarmed teenage boys or people in movie theaters for texting. I am a vet and I own my share of weapons as do many of my friends. We are all perfecty reasonable people and not under thr illusion we need guns for any particular reason other than we enjoy them. That is our right. You will find our weapons secure and treated with respect and safely at all times. You will not find us parading around with them or making youtube videos. It is a shame that a small group of nutters makes the rest of us look bad. At least in this case this guy did not, of course that does not make headlines.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude
(for clarity this is the law in NC)

NC allows "detention" by private citizens. The right for a citizen to arrest or detain another citizen is pretty much universal throughout the USA. In common law jurisdictions, the practice dates back to medieval England and the English common law, in which sheriffs encouraged ordinary citizens to help apprehend law breakers. Link

North Carolina

North Carolina Law

§ 15A‑404. Detention of offenders by private persons.

(a) No Arrest; Detention Permitted. - No private person may arrest another person except as provided in G.S. 15A-405. A private person may detain another person as provided in this section.

(b) When Detention Permitted. - A private person may detain another person when he has probable cause to believe that the person detained has committed in his presence:

(1) A felony,

(2) A breach of the peace,

(3) A crime involving physical injury to another person, or

(4) A crime involving theft or destruction of property.

(c) Manner of Detention. - The detention must be in a reasonable manner considering the offense involved and the circumstances of the detention.

(d) Period of Detention. - The detention may be no longer than the time required for the earliest of the following:

(1) The determination that no offense has been committed.

(2) Surrender of the person detained to a law-enforcement officer as provided in subsection (e).

(e) Surrender to Officer. - A private person who detains another must immediately notify a law-enforcement officer and must, unless he releases the person earlier as required by subsection (d), surrender the person detained to the law-enforcement officer. (1973, c. 1286, s. 1.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join