It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unique Crystals: Newfound Purple-Pink Mineral Is Like No Other

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

A new purple-pink mineral that has a chemical composition and crystalline structure unlike any of the known 4,000 minerals has been discovered at a mining site in Western Australia, researchers report.

Now called putnisite, the mineral was discovered in a surface outcrop of Polar Bear Peninsula, Southern Lake Cowan, north of Norseman. While workers with a mining company were prospecting for nickel and gold, one of them noticed the bright-pink grains and sent the mineral to the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), and then it was sent to Peter Elliott, a research associate with the South Australian Museum, for examination.

And, sure enough, the crystal was novel.

www.livescience.com...
The new crystal is called "Putnisite" and is described as a strontium calcium chromium sulfate carbonate (that's a mouth full)... It has both a unique chemical composition and a unique crystal structure not to mention a pretty neat color.. Anyway visit the link for the full story and a picture.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
Ah beautiful! I was going to say a new Tanzanite, but considering how tiny the crystals are, not a chance in that. Only the most exclusive rare mineral collectors will be interested, and able to afford it.

Maybe we will get lucky, and they will dig down a little more, and find a nice vein. That would be awesome!

I love collecting rare gems, but only when there is enough to make them affordable!

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I'm sure that they are going to find a lot of crystal formations yet. If someone didn't notice this and send it for testing, it would never have been discovered. I think that we have more that haven't been named or discovered yet than ones that have been discovered. If they are not investigated, nobody will ever know. I wonder how many weird crystals are sitting in rockpiles near fields or in the collection of old people. My uncle left my daughter and nephew a rock collection, the rocks are labeled by what he knew of them. They have never been tested, he was a rockhound and labeled them. Millions of people do this.

I'm betting that there are pieces of this crystal sitting in people's collections over there and they may not have a name for it or it may be misnamed. Same with diamonds, I bet some people have diamonds in their collections misnamed. Even gold, if the gold is not pure it can be silvery or even look like bronze/brass.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

These are beautiful, the color is spectacular! Goosebumps! Interesting and unique that it's unlike any other crystal. Nice find!

Image Source

a reply to: rickymouse
I also wonder what other surprises like this that the Earth has in store for us. It's nuts that we can see galaxies billion of light years away, yet this beauty has sat undiscovered until recently.
edit on 29-4-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: hit reply too quick

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Looks like a star nebula to me, very beautiful, but what properties does this stuff display aside from its luxurious purple hue?

Naturally occurring element 115 perchance?
LoL
edit on 30-4-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Gorgeous pic.

You know, hate to be that guy, but the crown chakra is supposed to be that color. Should it be called crown crystal? A bit odd that it would be rediscovered now, when so much religious turmoil, as well as spiritual awakenings are occuring throughout the World?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
What an interesting find. I love minerals and crystals. They achieve such weird formations under the oddest conditions, and mirror the functions of many things we consider "alive".

The color on this mineral is amazing, so purple. Even more intense than baked amethyst, wow.

SO cool, thanks for sharing!

top topics

join