It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clippers Owner Banned for Life

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
www.cnbc.com...

The commissioner of the NBA just gave his news conference deciding that the clippers owner sterling was banned FOR LIFE! And he would try to force the sale of the team!

Too much? Just right? What do you think?

edit on 29-4-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is wrong on soooo many levels.

Freedom of speech?

She did'nt have consent to record him.

I see many lawsuits comming!

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

Just saw that too. I guess you get what you sow. Let's just hope there isn't any knee jerk reaction coming from the players. Don't want them making any comments to get them in hot water. IE let's quit and start an all black league etc etc.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
CBS NBA Bans Sterling For Life

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced Tuesday Clippers owner Donald Sterling will be suspended for life and fined $2.5 million in wake of his alleged racist remarks.

Silver spoke to the press at 11 a.m. news conference from New York, stating he will “do everything in my power” to force sale of Clipper.

Banned for life over 'alleged' comments.
And the NBC Commissioner will try to 'force the sale' of the Clippers.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
This is wrong on soooo many levels.

Freedom of speech?

She did'nt have consent to record him.

I see many lawsuits comming!

1)She did have consent to record him. In fact, he regularly records most of his conversations.
2)Its not a free speech issue. No one is saying he cant hold the opinions. The (private) league is simply saying they wont allow those that express those opinions to be apart of their league.
edit on 29-4-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The word Police are out in full force.

He is an 80 year old man. The woman baited him while illegally recording him.

I detest what the man said. I do not understand why he would say it.

He said it in his own home. He did not make a Public Statement.

But, ban him for life? Force him to sell the Team?

Racism will end when all the racist die. Not one minute sooner.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

I think it's the free market. The government getting involved would be free speech.. My he other nba owners have a right to voice there opinion as well. Or is free speech only relevant for the racist? Or extremist? Or whatever person is against the grain?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

She did have consent, and the commish said a good statement,
"Rather they were private when he said them, they are public now and reflect his views"

link   
I am going to ask the same questions I asked in the other thread, is he legally obligated to pay the fine?

and how can they force him to abide by any of this?

link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

Was there a contract regarding acceptable/unacceptable speech? Maybe an HR manual? It's not illegal to speak freely as an idiot. Yet.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar
a reply to: captaintyinknots

Was there a contract regarding acceptable/unacceptable speech? Maybe an HR manual? It's not illegal to speak freely as an idiot. Yet.
And hes not being charged with a crime.

There are clauses that every owner in the NBA agrees to when they buy a team.
edit on 29-4-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The NBA owners have the power to do this. Just that simple.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Sterling will pay the 2.5 million with no hesitation, he will make that tonight from the game alone.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This is clearly interference with a private matter. His thoughts are his own, and until he commits a crime, a legitimate crime, not thought crime, the matter should remain private between him and his girlfriend.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I've said some messed up things in the comfort of my home. Should I be forced to sell my business because someone recorded what I said without me knowing?

I don't like what the man said, but the over-reaction from the NBA is screwed up IMO.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
***Note to NBA***

People in glass houses should not throw stones.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Problem is, they are not ruling based on the context of America or the constitution or those rights, they are using the NBA rules and organizational rules, let me give you an example, right now in 2014 in America, you can create your own private club and pretty much do what you want, hold certain views that might be biased and have them publicly revealed, but my friends the NBA is not a private club , you can even exclude or include certain members without much issue except those who might complain but you have every right to be able do so with a private club.

Once you have stockholders, become public, the interests and a charter that governs your association take effect you become bound by certain standards of conduct and more importantly, you are a publicly traded entity , we also know that the NBA and NFL have a high criteria of ethics when it comes to owning one of their teams, Sterling signed his name to be bound by certain rules and standards, obviously he is not up to par for that privilege of ownership, almost how a credit card company can reject you for having a low credit score, you are deemed a risk, Sterling is a severe risk to the NBA brand plain and simple.

You just cannot have this sort of nonsense even remotely associated with your brand, whatever might come out about this later, we will see, but for now I think they made the right decision, if he does not want to be closely associated with blacks or think they will damage his image (whatever that is) that is a huge image issue and an even bigger issue for the NBA brand, it's shareholders and companies that endorse the NBA have their own interests at stake by endorsing him.

So as far as business is concerned, this about on the same level as if say the head of Google or Microsoft said something on that level about any particular minority group whose makeup of consumers are part of the very one they might make negative comments about, stock will go down, investors will be affected and the overall brand is thus damaged.

I agree wholeheartedly with this decision as severe as it seems to some, it will serve as a lesson to those that want to cash on the talent of others and yet not really feel that those very individuals you are making money on are equal to you.

Good move by the NBA.

edit on 29-4-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
marc cuban is sweating bullets right now lol. i bet he's gonna hire a whole new security detail to just check for recording devices!

this is outrageous. this looks like some kind of social weapon to me. bait someone into saying it and BAM. its not hard to get most people to get on a racist topic or 2 and if you take it out of context then you got yourself a nice little weapon against that person.

its all just so over the top to me so I'm grasping at straws here to find an explanation, but are we trying to set a precedent for people being severely punished for racist remarks?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaticusMaximus
This is clearly interference with a private matter. His thoughts are his own, and until he commits a crime, a legitimate crime, not thought crime, the matter should remain private between him and his girlfriend.
He has committed racial crimes. He paid, at the time, the biggest ever settlement on a racial related issue in the history of the state of Cali.

Thats the thing here-this isnt an isolated event. This has been going on for a very long time, and the previous commissioner swept it under the rug...heck, he even gifted him one of the 5 best player sin the league.

As of January, there is a new commish. If there were not, I have no doubt that this, too, would have been swept under the rug.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Can't have a racist running a team in the NBA.

Obvious is obvious.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join