It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20% of the us population doesn't believe in any of the religions.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy

Well, those are my feelings on the matter. After all it does say that gathering of believes as small as two is a church.

However, for the purposes of these numbers, where does that put me? I would argue they would lump me into the group that doesn't believe in religion because it would pad their numbers. It's disingenuous, but if you know what result you want, it's not exactly a "lie" in the pure sense either.

How many like myself are in their "no longer believe in religion" number?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well I think it's better for a person to learn one on one with their teachings, this way they are teaching themselves without the influence of anyone else. When it comes to Churches etc, doesn't the Bible teach not to worship Idols? The way I see it that it's better for a Christian to worship at home than in a church. When I say Idols I mean Statues, window drawings etc.

It doesn't matter what they think, let them worry about sucking pennys out of their followers.
edit on 29-4-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I think the whole herd mentality of the organized aspects of tigion make it more line a gang than a faith do in this regard I think we are on the same page regarding ignorance and tolerance. And for what it's worth I do indeed apologize for misunderstanding prior posts and misrepresenting your faith. It was never my intention to either slander you or pigeon hole you into a corner that was not yours.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: JohnTheSmith
All these different people, from different nations, with different religions. But if you ask any one of them, they will tell you that they are the real believers, and the rest are false. l m a o

It's pretty sad really, like a bunch of kids fighting over which football team is #1 or who's father is stronger.
Any world without such fantasies is the world I want my daughter to grow up in.

Ah, irony is writing a post about how sad it is to fight over who's way is better and most correct and then ending it by talking about how your way is the best.

Yeah, you've got a point there, but only if you're of the opinion that refusing to accept the idea of religions in general (not atheism at all) is in fact it's own religion. I understand the argument you're making, even if you're unaware of it. However, I hold that being without religion or refusing the very premise of the need for religion is NOT a religion.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

I think the whole herd mentality of the organized aspects of tigion make it more line a gang than a faith do in this regard I think we are on the same page regarding ignorance and tolerance. And for what it's worth I do indeed apologize for misunderstanding prior posts and misrepresenting your faith. It was never my intention to either slander you or pigeon hole you into a corner that was not yours.

No need to apologize, Obviously I haven't explained myself clear enough and that is something I should learn to do better also. Religion to me is personal development and not something that should be taught to you and this is where many sects are absolute failures. You should be able to worship without the threat of being called evil because you do not worship like others.

I actually understand why people turn away from religion, I will never get involved with any organised aspect because of the same reasons.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

All these different people, from different nations, with different religions. But if you ask any one of them, they will tell you that they are the real believers, and the rest are false. l m a o

It's pretty sad really, like a bunch of kids fighting over which football team is #1 or who's father is stronger.
Any world without such fantasies is the world I want my daughter to grow up in.

Ah, irony is writing a post about how sad it is to fight over who's way is better and most correct and then ending it by talking about how your way is the best.

Yeah, you've got a point there, but only if you're of the opinion that refusing to accept the idea of religions in general (not atheism at all) is in fact it's own religion. I understand the argument you're making, even if you're unaware of it. However, I hold that being without religion or refusing the very premise of the need for religion is NOT a religion.

No, I'm talking about how you chide the religious for be so self-righteous in claiming their way is the best and only way just before going on to make that claim about your own way.

Whether or not I believe your way is also a faith has nothing to do with it. It's the bare bones assumption of superiority that's enough.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I will disagree with you to some extent. I believe it can be very beneficial to learn from a community of other believers, but I don't think you should ever go so far as to subsume yourself to the community or to think that it should stand between you and God. Sometimes, you need the reassurance and comfort interacting with other believers can bring you, and it is also good to interact with others on an intellectual and spiritual level.

Just maintain your sense of self and identity in your personal walk with God.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I learnt from someone else, I leant the Jehovah's brand, Islam learning from other people. My mother went to a local gathering one day and it was all women. They were singing etc and then out of nowhere one of the women started reciting biblical verses in a language she couldn't speak. To me that is getting involved in crap that you shouldn't, Demonic crap at that.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

a reply to: ArtemisE

I'm a Christian, but I don't follow any of the organized sects. Where does that put me?

You are a christian Deist.
there are a number of types of christian Deist.
some don't believe in the moral teachings—but not divinity—of Jesus.
some do believe in the divinity of Jesus.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
A lot of pre-pubescent boys are going to benefit from the fall of organised religion....

What? To soon? Haha

Organised religion may indeed dwindle but i would hypothesis that it will be replaced with OTHER spiritual views that are less constricted and based on wisdom, not a MAN in the sky who disproves of you ejaculating.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The numbers on these statistics are often inflated in favour of the religious institutions.

Remember that many of these "statistics" are based on numbers of people baptized or people who have received confirmation. Most people who do that are under the age of 14, and the majority of people who are baptized are baptized before they can even speak, much less make a conscious decision on theology.

In my age group (20-35), I would estimate that more than 50% of people do not subscribe to a religion; at least in my area.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

Doesn't matter one bit, as long as they believe in Christ.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueyezblkdragon
And the bad news is...

More importantly why does this surprise you? it's known that people are fed up with religion.

More than likely, if there is any statistical evidence to back up the claim, it is rather the result of secular humanism in the schools and in the public square. A history of the Soviet Union shows however that a concentrated effort at authoritarian oppression of religion does not solve problems. Karl Marx did say that religion is the opiate of the masses and Marxism does seek to oppress religion of all kinds. It's a fact of communism.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

One example of a failed government doesn't validate religion place in society. The same could be said about the witch trials or the crusades or the Muslim terrorists. Hell what about the Hebrews genocideing the phillisteans ? The history of religion is in the best if cases a 50/50 good vs evil split..... Most of the Uk takes seperating of church and state seriously. Switzerland is the consensus best country to live in and they have a cradle to grave welfare syystem and no prayer in school or government.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join