It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20% of the us population doesn't believe in any of the religions.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy

originally posted by: Diabolos
I think this is GREAT NEWS! More people waking up! Now only if all humans evolve past religion..

Oh yeah, So when do you expect the other 5,000,000,000 to become Atheists? Do you still feel like your on the winning side? There are more hindu's in the world than Atheists ffs.

And there's some more of the kind and loving Christian compassion you constantly espouse. Jesus would be so proud to call you part of his flock.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

I must be spending too much time on ATS.

I thought the number would be much higher.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: puzzlesphere

No the problem is people in Atheist groups telling others to get over their belief systems and evolve like he/she has the answers to all the worlds problems and mysteries. It's not about taking sides, it's about showing him/her where they also stand compared to everyone else and maybe it's them that need to evolve.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Thank you, it is intellectually dishonest to call out religious types on their hypocrisies when you are harboring your own. One must be willing to let go of all they hold to be true to fully be ready to learn the real truths of the universe, and in order to do that, you must be able to find the flaws in not only your opponents' arguments but your own as well.
edit on 29-4-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
80% of the US population believes in God.

Or Gods.
Or gods.
Or Goddess.
Or Goddesses.
Or goddesses.
Or some guy named Larry who answers prayers.

80% of the US population. (that's 35 out of every 6 people, if my math is correct)

Then again, if the count was "1 person in the US, a guy named beezzer, believes in God" I'd be good with that as well.

Faith isn't a high school popularity contest.

Basically, I believe in "Nunya".

As in nunya damned business what I believe in.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE
Didn't know the numbers were quite this high. 19.6 % of all Americans don't believe in any of the organized religions.

It doesn't say they do not believe in God, but an organized religion/church sect.
Out of that group, how many are actually athiests?
I know many people who have lost faith in their former churches and still believe in God/Jesus.
The numbers definitely have gone up in the Catholic church do to the high profile pedophile cases and lost many over divorce issues and their stringent laws.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

I think this is GREAT NEWS! More people waking up! Now only if all humans evolve past religion..

Oh yeah, So when do you expect the other 5,000,000,000 to become Atheists? Do you still feel like your on the winning side? There are more hindu's in the world than Atheists ffs.

And there's some more of the kind and loving Christian compassion you constantly espouse. Jesus would be so proud to call you part of his flock.

What makes you think I'm a Christian? If I was to associate myself with any religion it would be Islam. Why do you think I question the teachings of the Bible and peoples beliefs surrounding that religion? Obviously I do not believe in Christianity.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy

Fair enough but from what I've read in the Q'ran the principles are very similar and Tolerance and compassion are still tenets of that faith so either way you're a hypocrite.
edit on 29-4-2014 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Why does it bother you so much that some people differ in view from you?

I think it is fantastic, if for no other reason than it means that much more diversity in the world.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Since they are all bs doctrines designed to put you under their control, is this surprising?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Here's a link to the site I got the numbers from.

www.slate.com...

I never claimed 20% of the population was atheist. I said 20% no longer believes in any of the organized religions. Which I find the same thing. All our troubles with religion come from the religious organizations. No one cares if you believe in the concept of a god. People have problems with victimless Christian morality laws (and Muslim.. I'm in the US so Christians are the ones doing it here) and brainwashing our children with prayer and teaching intellegent desighn in school.

I thought the more intresting part was the thought that once half the population has renounced the organized religion, there's gonna be a cascading effect with the number of nonbelievers growing by multiples every generation.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if science was able to flat out disprove the whole concept entirely.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

19.6 % of all Americans don't believe in any of the organized religions.

The rejection of organized religion is the hallmark of a Deist.

Deism is the fastest growing religious group in the US.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 29-4-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

My step father just decided he was a dieist as well... Just to help make your point.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar
a reply to: DarknStormy

Fair enough but from what I've read in the Q'ran the principles are very similar and Tolerance and compassion are still tenets of that faith so either way you're a hypocrite.

The funny thing is Muslims are told to tolerate the Jews and allow Jews to worship in Islamic Mosques, but never does it say they can walk into a Christian Church and worship and even the Jewish faith says that. One only has to wonder why. Maybe because they understand Western Christianity is one big Paganised hypocrite. Both books also teach to expose liars.
edit on 29-4-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

Why does it bother you so much that some people differ in view from you?

I think it is fantastic, if for no other reason than it means that much more diversity in the world.

It doesn't bother me, but it shouldn't bother others whether if I choose to believe any religion either. Most of the world are associated with a religion, I couldn't care what any disbeliever thinks, good luck to them.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I'm a Christian, but I don't follow any of the organized sects. Where does that put me?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I'm a Christian, but I don't follow any of the organized sects. Where does that put me?

Do you believe in the Bible?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnTheSmith
All these different people, from different nations, with different religions. But if you ask any one of them, they will tell you that they are the real believers, and the rest are false. l m a o

It's pretty sad really, like a bunch of kids fighting over which football team is #1 or who's father is stronger.
Any world without such fantasies is the world I want my daughter to grow up in.

Ah, irony is writing a post about how sad it is to fight over who's way is better and most correct and then ending it by talking about how your way is the best.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

In the teachings of Christ.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

In the teachings of Christ.

Then you are just a Christian, you don't need any of the organised sects and in most cases it's better not to be amongst them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join