It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So ya think you're gonna retire? Think again.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Ba! What is wrong with you people!!!

If you cant find something more entertaining than work there must be something wrong with you.

I can count on one hand the number of years until I retire. Wooohooo, no more paying the tax man, no more slavery.
I'll be out flying my RC copters, playing with grand children, ogling the ladies

You people are sad.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I had $14,000 in credit card debt at one time. As soon as my income increased and I had extra money, I focused on paying the card off. I filed the card away at home. It took me 4 years to finally pay-off, but it was worth every penny. The day I made the last payment, my wife and I went out to dinner and paid for it in cash!

Credit cards can easily get people into debt and credit card companies bank on that. I seldom ever use my credit card, and if I do, I pay the balance off before the bill comes into the mail.

Good Advice, save, save, save and don't spend foolishly.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Im retired...in my mid 30s...not rich by any means...saved a crap ton and make a little here and there through some ventures...and a steady payment....im never bored...

In fact I dont have enough hours in my day to do what I want. Between...chess, reading, guitar, composing music, computer games, fishing, rock climbing, wood carving, astronomy....almost all those are free or dirt cheap...even buying a basic set of stuff can last you 10 years...such a small investment. I bought a nic 100 dollar wood carving knife...itll last probably forever...I walk in the woods...find nice little log..and carve out one of the ugliest faces you will ever see...but I love it.

My time has let me be more creative....I have coffee or tea almost every morning..I get to know the people there and talk with them....but thats aobut the human interaction I intentionally get haha....find some hobbies..some cheap ones...youl be amazed at how good you get at something in only a couple months.

Write an ebook too...you can knock out those on a free publishing sites...ive written 2...both suck but one got a good review by a professional reviewer! I didnt make much off them ..but still made something. Im working on a board game now and another book...both will probably suck but its fun anyway.
edit on 28-4-2014 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

Maybe it's in the story after all?

Yes it is....

In my industry they are crying for good material that is fresh, strong characterization, and plot.

I use this....

www.celtx.com...

If you have a story; write it! You might be surprised at the outcome.
edit on 28-4-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Not sad...just bored.

It's great that you have plenty of hobbies. I do as well...but they can get expensive. Ammo ain't cheap.

Many of my friends have been transferred to other states. Not really complaining, some of my friends are within traveling distance (1 hour+), but the "Family" is gone. Scattered to the four winds.

And the jobs I would like to hold, even part time are all filled. (Since I'm retired, why in Dawg's name would I hold a job I don't like?)

But like I said. I'm bored...and now realize it didn't have to be this way. If only I would have learned sooner.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmicexplorer

Do you have any links on the wood carving? I have a opportunity at a six foot tall stump that I want to carve.

But obviously, I'm a novice. All I have is a chainsaw (Small) and chiseling set.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

It's great that you have plenty of hobbies. I do as well...but they can get expensive. Ammo ain't cheap.

Being a brit, that had me in stitches. Whats your hobby, robbing banks?

LOL

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I like to target practice. The long shots, nothing tactical. That I save for the 12 gauge, but haven't been able to do that for a year.

I plink a lot with my .22 as well.

You fly your RC as a hobby, I shoot. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I'd like to get back to flying again myself.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I like to target practice. The long shots, nothing tactical. That I save for the 12 gauge, but haven't been able to do that for a year.

I plink a lot with my .22 as well.

You fly your RC as a hobby, I shoot. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I'd like to get back to flying again myself.
Wasn't being serious, ats has taught me the way of life in the US, for a brit though, it came over as very funny, I'm still chuckling about it

If I were to post in a uk forum that I cant afford ammo it wouldn't be long before my door was smashed down!

And no, I'm not one of those that think you shouldn't have guns. You guys should fight all the way to keep them.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Getting used to living on less should be done over a couple of years. The wife and I did that. It is easier to gradually cut down than come to an abrupt stop. If you don't budget, you won't make it long. Your spending rate seems to be proportional to your savings...it is gone after fifteen years...but you aren't. Go from spending a lot of money down to spending hardly nothing is difficult. But when you accomplish this, going out to a restaurant once every couple weeks seems so great. It's like a treat. Going to Menards and buying a new grill for sixty nine bucks after rebate seems like you hit the lotto. Twelve years ago I wouldn't even consider buying a grill that wasn't a super grill, nothing under two hundred bucks was acceptable.

Reconditioning of oneself to deflect the social conditioning of "Buy,Buy,Buy" isn't easy.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

It's all good.

Puttered about in the UK back in the day (Early '90's) and had a great time. Even saw distant cousins up in Scotland. I want to go back, but the money just isn't there anymore. Gotta save, ya know?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Its not even that easy for younger capable working people, wages keep dropping and cost of living continues to increase. we are all working slaves.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You've hit the nail on the head. It does take reconditioning ourselves, don't it?

What a pain in the ass...but when you think about it, it's not like you didn't see it coming. We've just choose to ignore it maybe?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Its not even that easy for younger capable working people, wages keep dropping and cost of living continues to increase. we are all working slaves.

We all do what we can based upon what we can do. Some employers hire and promote, while others stagnate.

I see young people charging ahead and doing good for themselves, their families and companies. But they are rare thing. as has always been.

Then I see young kids. making idiot choices, working crap jobs, racking up credit card debt, paying off that latest smart phones...and think why? They are shooting themselves in the foot. (Granted, not all are doing this, but the majority are)

if we could only teach finances at a earlier age, (Make it interesting in school), maybe then a difference could be made.

There will always be the need for the mechanic, the plumber, the electrician, the machinist, etc, etc. But if people were smarter with their money and lives, we wouldn't have half the problems we have today. That's my theory anyways.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think I can speak for the majority of my generation(Gen-X) that retirement is all but a dream anymore. That's if your going to rely on social security in any way shape or form.

I learned early on we spend the best years of our lives working our butts off just so we can spend the latter retired at home with nothing to do. That never sat well with me...

So rather than living my life the same way my parents did. I decided to adopt a different attitude when it came to work, credit, debt, and retirement. Find what makes you happy and master it, the money will follow. Everything else is irrelevant.

Its better to have a short life full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way.
~Alan Watts~

Just like everything else in life its quality over quantity.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I am a welder also a former us marine 0311, I have seen wages on the single arm for stainless steel tig welding go from 36 an hour to almost minimum wage, I took 2 pay cuts and been homeless already with no debt. Hard to find work without an address much less an address or a cell phone or the internet. I am doing ok now I still don't feel like a citizen of the USA after spending most of my adult life in the war on terror and all but can say I have watched things decline an awful lot and I am only 28 what kind of retirement will I have I wonder? What kind of life will the younger ones have to enjoy? I see lots more work for free and less enjoyment, talking about tech junkie trinket people well thats one crowd, but theres a bigger one pinching every penny and it still isn't good enough. I think at some point a reset button will have to be pushed to make things change and it cant happen from the top down has to go from the bottom up just like anything else is built my friend. I hope your situation fairs better for you soon as you made it this far at least I would hope you can enjoy playing hooky till the day you move on, makes me a bit discouraged that you are not/ cannot enjoy retirement. My old grandpa is in his 90s an old farmer I hated when he auctioned his farm and hate it even more he isn't enjoying life its always about taxes and part time jobs etc I hate it! Alot!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I'm just saying what has happened to me. And the choices I've made and how it has effected me.

As a member of a family who has both military and farming in his blood. I feel your pain...and it really does piss me off.

These days, personally, I'm all about organic farming. But that is expensive. Not just grow, but to sell.

These flippin' SuperFarms are taking over, Raising and selling beef like they were chickens. Then you have the Porcine epidemic to top it off.

What small farmer is going to deal with that on a economic scale?

Sorry. I'm ranting and this was originally about getting our own houses in order, but it is bigger than that, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

It is alot bigger, it's very complex almost too much for one person too understand. One thing is certain. The world is not what it seems, things are changing, rapidly.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

It is alot bigger, it's very complex almost too much for one person too understand. One thing is certain. The world is not what it seems, things are changing, rapidly.

I get that, and you are right. It is changing faster than most thought possible.

Scary stuff. The thing is, in my waning years, how can I take care of my family? (Hell I don't know, I might live 3-50 years)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

So this is what you'll be like in a couple of years?

In one short sentence.

Yes Buster, Retirement is a pain in the ass.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join