It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Observations of good ole ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I have been a member on this site short of 8 years (respect to ATS for going so long), at first as a curious observer and gleamer of knowledge.
I came to some conclusion back then that this site harbors a strange kettle of fish, for better or worse, but noticed some behavior was just down right negative to some of the topics in hand.

On some forums ie 911 conspiracy's someone would offer their opinion or theory only to be humiliated with a condescending remark by another member, rather than offer an intellectual counterpoint.
Granted there were and still are those keyboard warriors who post the first thing they see without doing their home work first, tosh that had a give away warning of OMG somewhere in the title. Even now clips from Jurassic park turn up with claims to be genuine footage of living dinosaurs. Or ghost footage with a bug walking across the lens, and thankfully there are those who do their homework.

Recently I expressed a dislike of a politician and was instantly put down and accused of being a serial troll by a member, rather than offering an intellectual reasoning as to convince me why this person should be respected.
After an offer of proving to the post to back up their accusation they soon vanished.

Its becoming common here to put down those who offer a different opinion to others, rather than being in the privileged position to share knowledge and information they believe they posses.

Sometimes this site reminds me of a Dr Seuss story, but this site is what it is, it has its fair share of trolls, time wasters and antagonists, but those of us who are serious about this site know there are those employed by agency's whose job it is to deliberately mock, humiliate and discredit seekers of the truth...you stand out like a sore thumb.

When 2+2 doesn't add up to four there is a problem, and nay Sayers and dis creditors just make it all the more obvious.
People who attack truth seekers and truth givers on a personal level just show how weak their arsenal is.

I believe we may have gone to the moon, if only just to quickly stick a flag on there, but due to it being a huge propaganda exercise it was filmed on earth in case it went tits up, this is why all the footage is messed up but why the Russians didn't cry hoax.

Its a funny old life, but the truth is out there....just a little more respect for fellow members wouldn't go amiss....rant over.

edit on 28-4-2014 by zeevar because: wibble

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I think there are a lot of folk out there who, once they see a single hole in the armour of an idea will completely discount the idea (simply because it's not bulletproof). In large part, I think we've been taught to think this way by being taught throughout our school years with "black and white" concepts. X is right, but Y is wrong. We are not often encouraged to question X, but X certainly has a lot of points against it. Or at least it hasn't answered all of the questions it needs to to earn the ridicule of Y.

We need to ask questions, and to distrust easy answers. Every new bit of information on a topic needs to be integrated before it can be ignored. (Though I would never advocate ignoring information. Data, yes... Info, no.)

Personally, I break things for a living. I see lots of 2's that don't add up to 4, and I like it that way. I am required to constantly ask questions to figure out if things work the way they are supposed to, or the way we want them to, or think they should... and it's something that, once you start doing it, you can't really stop. We really just need to be open to the idea that everything we know is wrong... but a lot of education now is based on derived concepts based on "rock-solid" knowledge. What happens if the foundation of entire branches of science are wrong? How can we even go back and revise those concepts if we only know the formulae that were built upon them?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
ATS was founded in 1999. You joined in 2006. It is now 2014.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Shakawkaw
Ah....the flaw in my resume (face palm) it will be amended interfrasticly .......... doh!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: zeevar
Recently I expressed a dislike of a politician and was instantly put down and accused of being a serial troll by a member, rather than offering an intellectual reasoning as to convince me why this person should be respected.
After an offer of proving to the post to back up their accusation they soon vanished.

Its becoming common here to put down those who offer a different opinion to others, rather than being in the privileged position to share knowledge and information they believe they posses.

Sometimes this site reminds me of a Dr Seuss story, but this site is what it is, it has its fair share of trolls, time wasters and antagonists, but those of us who are serious about this site know there are those employed by agency's whose job it is to deliberately mock, humiliate and discredit seekers of the truth...you stand out like a sore thumb.

Its a funny old life, but the truth is out there....just a little more respect for fellow members wouldn't go amiss....rant over.

Whoever called you a troll should have had that post removed and+ Use of the words trolls and shills is banned here.
Of course that doesn't mean that they don't exist. Either way they are threadkillers..objective often achieved. It kind of makes us when we try to follow the rules, very subordinate.
edit on 28-4-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: zeevar
You mentioned the 911 forum. I only went on a thread in there perhaps twice (that I can remember). It was a freak'n bloodbath. Absolute chaos and it was like being in a (chat room) war zone. Absolute insanity. I didn't bother going back. Those people are unreasonable and just plain rude.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

With all the site evolution in the last few years, have you noticed the dissappearance from all pages of the site motto so highly revered not that long ago?

DENY IGNORANCE

Says a lot by it's absence.
edit on 28/4/2014 by nerbot because: stuff

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I haven't been here as long as you, but I've learned to be careful where I post, for the reasons you mentioned.
Some subjects, I am very curious about, and read on here without posting. One thing I've learned, for myself anyway, is that while I am very happy to read post both pro and con on a subject, I will only take posters seriously on either side, that make their case, without getting personal about countering someone else.

I will say, on subjects like 911, there are a very limited posters I take the time to read all of their arguments. But those few that I do, on both sides, actually take the time to post reasons and examples only, without personal attacks.

And in my view, those few that can do that, make this sight worth coming to. It's just a shame you have to wade through so much BS to find them.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy
It was more annoying than anything, their words were "Trolling again".
So giving them a chance to back up their accusations showed them for what they really were.
Its an easy card to play...my dislike of goats have nothing to do with it.

I have noticed on other forums that involved a political debate that certain people of a political ilk used provocative tactics to promote an argument then stand back and gloat... sad really.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot
Yes...almost like the rug is going to be slowly pulled from under your feet.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
I just about got out with a flesh wound.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom
Indeed... sometimes a reply like "Can you justify what you just said" works.
But as I said further up, some of them have been put there for that purpose, it does make your hide thicker though.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: zeevar
a reply to: nerbot
Yes...almost like the rug is going to be slowly pulled from under your feet.

S'ok.....I float well.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I really like what you said in your OP. I feel like I get the brunt of it a lot. I think that a lot of people think that I'm weird or stupid, or worse...intolerant. But I feel that there are a lot of people that don't want to accept that there's a method to my madness. I think that there are a lot of people here that find it hard to open their minds to different possibilities, and are completely incapable of having intelligent discussions.

I'm glad that I have at least one advocate in you.
edit on 29-4-2014 by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: brazenalderpadrescorpio
People shouldn't judge you on your beliefs, or use you as a target for their vitriol.
Some hide behind the comfort of science (never trust a man in a white coat) and are frightened or just contemptible in their ways.
A forum should be a platform for intelligent debate and sharing ideas, not character assassination and smug bullying.
Besides, look at those who were called mad because of their beliefs only to be vilified later when proven right.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Tesla is an excellent example of that.

new topics

top topics

join