It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Terrible Fear of Paying the Poor Too Much

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+94 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The Terrible Fear of Paying the Poor Too Much

They’re passing legislation forbidding towns and counties from raising the minimum wage in their jurisdictions. Republicans insist: no pay bump for those raking in $15,080 a year! On the other side, however, there’s no amount of pay, perks, private jets, premium health plans and golden parachutes that Republican politicians believe could possibly be too much for a CEO.

That Oracle CEO Larry Ellison took home $78,440,657 last year is completely reasonable in the minds of Republicans. That it would take a minimum wage earner 5,201 years to earn what Larry took out of his company for one 365-day period is, according to Republican-think, a morally correct calculation.

That is why Republicans are working so hard to prevent Walmart and McDonald’s workers from earning more money while, at the same time, doing nothing but congratulating Time Warner Cable CEO Rob Marcus for grabbing $79.9 million for six weeks of work.

Republicans don’t believe in paying a living wage to workers they disrespect, like the home health aides providing loving 24-hour care to the frail grandmas of GOP politicians across this country, like the housekeepers who clean GOP presidential hopefuls’ hotel rooms as they campaign across the nation, like the McDonald’s workers denied paid sick days who make extraordinary efforts not to cough on the fries that super-sized Republicans stuff in their faces.

Republicans do believe, though, that the $31 million CVS hands CEO Larry J. Merlo has no effect on the pharmacy’s prices, that the $26 million Ralph Lauren hands its namesake CEO has no effect on the heart-stopping prices he charges for his foreign sweatshop-sewn clothes, and that the $31 million Estee Lauder grants CEO Fabrizio Freda has no effect on the eye-popping prices Lauder charges for its powder and perfume.

The GOP believes CEOs deserve to pocket in one year what it would take the average worker 331 years of labor to earn – a ratio calculated by the AFL-CIO Executive Paywatch team this year. CEOs are just so important, so special, so irreplaceable, according to the GOP.

They’re so much better than the heart surgeon who spends all day every day meticulously saving people’s lives. They’re 331 times as important as the firemen who rush into a burning home to save a woman’s life. They’re 331 time more valuable than the policemen and paramedics who ran toward the sound of an explosion a year ago in Boston to rescue bomb victims. To Republicans, those CEOs are 331 times more precious than the teacher who nurtures the shy child, encourages the faltering student or refuses to abandon the recalcitrant pupil.

I hope all members will actually look at the embedded links.
Think about how much CEOs are getting paid, and how many hours most of us Schmoes would have to work to reach that level.

I'm not talking about people making $500k, not even about people earning double that. I'm talking about the TRAVESTY of the disparity between the workers who do the labor, and the CEOs who push pencils around and count cyber-beans...

it's abhorrent. NO ONE needs $29 MILLION per year. No one. Money should be trickling down to employees, but it isn't.

Now that 'money' is considered 'SPEECH' (according to the disastrous ruling of the SCOTUS recently), the hard-working Americans' 'dream' has been destroyed. It's become a nightmare.

How any regular person could justify the obscene wealth that these very few people earn, while $250 BILLION - with a B - and 'capital' ILLION - goes to corporate welfare, and 'too big to fail' policies lead us toward monopolies again, is beyond me. This entire system needs to be rethought.

There is a wealthy Conservative businessman in California (Silicone Valley) named Ron Unz who is/was pushing for a raise TO $10.00/hour, not $10 MORE than what they're earning now.

Here. Read about it:

'Corporate welfare'
The current system amounts to a form of "corporate welfare," Unz said. Major chains like Walmart and McDonald's keep their employees' wages low, knowing the government will provide them with food stamps and medical care to compensate for their low pay.

An October study co-authored by researchers at the UC Berkeley Labor Center found that 52 percent of the families of fast-food workers are enrolled in one or more public assistance programs, compared with 25 percent of the workforce as a whole.

RON UNZ:Right now, $250 billion a year in social welfare spending goes to workers who can't survive on their paychecks. What we're talking about is a massive system of hidden government subsidies for these low-wage employers where they can shift the costs of the workforce over to the taxpayer. I think businesses should stand on their own two feet and have to pay their workers instead of forcing the taxpayers to make up the difference.
www.npr.org...

Furthermore, the price rises we're talking about are very much smaller than most people would realize. Wal-Mart is America's largest low-wage employer. Three hundred thousand Wal-Mart workers average about $9 an hour. All Wal-Mart would have to do to cover a $12 minimum wage is raise their prices by 1.1 percent one time. The average Wal-Mart shopper would pay only an extra $12.50 per year. People wouldn't even notice the price hike.

Today in California, the polls show overwhelming support for a large rise in the minimum wage, and the idea has now been endorsed by multi-billionaires of the left, right, and center. Let’s hope that such potent combination of dollars and voter sentiment quickly produces enacted legislation and causes the issue to permanently vanish from the political radar screen just as would be suggested by my theory.
www.ronunz.org...

McDonald’s and fast-food places would probably have to raise their prices by 8 or 9 percent, something like that. Agricultural products that are American-grown would go up by less than 2 percent on the grocery shelves. And those sorts of price increases are so small that they would be almost unnoticed in most cases by the consumer.
www.salon.com...

I know this will rankle a lot of members here, but I want to know what you think about these facts. PLEASE read the articles and check the links if you are unfamiliar with these arguments.
And then, let's discuss it. Cool? I started a thread the other day about how to overhaul campaign finance, but no one was interested.
Why not? Is it not a problem?

edit on 4/28/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

+39 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
We have become a nation OF the RICH, FOR the RICH, BY the RICH.

The oracle example really burns me too, as Oregon just dumped 250 mil on Oracle, for a website that didn't work.

So This mans company will take 250 mil of tax payer money and flush it down the toilet.

Apparently its okay to dump tax payer money on CEO's and companies for out right theft, But don't bump the poor pay up at all, as that's just irresponsible...

Both Parties are for the Corporate, not the individual, any Two party candidate that says otherwise, is lying.

+32 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
You will get the normal blocks heads arguing that people should not get paid a decent wage to live on yet arguing that welfare to help people survive is wrong too.

So what is it? Either you get paid enough to live on or you have to get hand outs? What is it?

Unless you want a society were people starve to death and live in 3rd world poverty.

And I agree we are not talking the high paid skilled professional s here, I have no issue with a Doctor or lawyer earning millions if skilled enough. Neither do I have a issue with entrepreneurs earning a few billion, the Richard Bransons and bill Gates of the world gave as many good things.

What gets me is the family dynasty and members of the old boys network who get paid these stupid sums for just being "born". These banking, oil and co operate dynasty's are sucking up and monopolizing resources at as unsustainable rate.,

I don't understand how people don't get it. If the average workers pay and consumption is increasing at a miniscule rate or worse decreasing yet the very very top are increasing there pay and resource consumption at 300 + percent then eventually things will get to a point were they will control everything! everyone else will be slaves or useless eaters. Its simple mathematics.
edit on 28-4-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

+30 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

In the 60s and 70s, CEOs made about 50-100 times what the average worker made. Today, it's more like 800 times.

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

In the 60s and 70s, CEOs made about 50-100 times what the average worker made. Today, it's more like 800 times.

Thats the problem right there.

In another 40 years it could be 6,400 times. That means 6,400 more of the words limited resources will be in the hands of a very very few families.

Mathematics and logic says that is unsustainable and eventually only very very very few will have money or resources which means everyone else will be at the mercy of those few powerful people.

That in effect is a return to feudalism.

At the moment im in the professional middle classes and live a pretty luxury life.

In 20 years I can see myself on the poverty line as my wages devalue.

In another 20 years time I can see Doctors joining me on that poverty line too.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Thank you, gentlemen.
I also think we (the US) should reinstate tariffs and establish 'global business' taxes - any US company doing business overseas has to pay the people there the same wage their American state-side counterparts make, or, at least pay the same taxes they SHOULD (not would, because they don't pay enough as it is) no matter where they are doing business. Off-shoring and out-sourcing has become a HUGE problem.

There should also be taxes on "unearned income"...
again, simple math...
but I didn't want to get too heavy in this one thread...

I appreciate your responses.
edit on 4/28/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Oh and apparently though, WE definitely don't pay congressmen enough...

“I think the American people should know that the members of Congress are underpaid,”Congressmen Moran

Thats a Dem by the way,

How much evidence do we really need to stop voting these crooks in?

Dem/Rep, two sides of the same corrupt coin.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

LOL!! They should be getting minimum wage. Period.
That might shake up some things. Or the same rate as jurors - $10/DAY in my location.
And no benefits.

Which Congressman is that? We have a Senator named Moran - but he's an R....

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Politicians in a Republic or Democracy should earn what the average wage of there state or county is. That will give them a incentive to do there jobs properly, maybe a bonus that the public can vote to deny

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I have a feeling this will fall on deaf ears mainly due to the fact that it blows up the idea that raising minimum wage will also raise prices dramatically. If I can recall correctly, Jack N the Box did a conference call with investors recently where the CEO flat out said prices would only have to raise less than 1 percent at stores to cover a hike in minimum wage.

Even though the CEO of Jack N the box said that, people still ignored it and continue to repeat this false notion of prices will be outrageous by giving poor workers more money. I cant understand it for the life of me. I hear people going on and on about the "welfare state" and how its destroying america, but nobody wants to pay .10 extra cent for a burger or really go after this companies that are forcing us to subsidize their poor workers existence.

Before anybody ask im not a Democrat or a Republican, Im part of a political party called the Human Beings that are for the betterment of everybody as a whole not a select few.

Have a blessed day

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The Walmarts and McDonaldses need to remember two things: 1.) they would be nothing without their employees and 2.) what goes around comes back around.

And the people need to remember something too...band together or you're screwed. These companies care nothing about you at all. They believe they are god. This was all a very carefully phased plan, and why do you think one of the very first things they did before starting to offshore jobs was to dissolve the unions?

Think about it.
edit on 4/28/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It is a sad state of affairs in America, and other rich countries, when a full time worker working 40 hours a week or more can't make enough to live off or support their family and needs to rely on government benefits and full time work aswell to survive. Big business loves cheap labour, that's why everything is made in China and Asia and manufacturing is shrinking in countries with above dirt pay.

A lot of right wingers like the US Republicans are fans of let the free market take care of everything, but that doesn't always work and they were faced with moral hazard and too big to fail and had no choice but to go against their market principals and do trillion dollar bailouts in the global financial crisis of 2008. Money, profit and greed rule and have the real power.
edit on 28-4-2014 by JimTSpock because: typo

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

LOL!! They should be getting minimum wage. Period.
That might shake up some things. Or the same rate as jurors - $10/DAY in my location.
And no benefits.

Which Congressman is that? We have a Senator named Moran - but he's an R....

Jim Moran
U.S. Representative
James Patrick "Jim" Moran, Jr. is the U.S. Representative for Virginia's 8th congressional district, serving since 1991. He is a member of the Democratic Party

ETA:

Luckily Moran the Moron is retiring, but they are all of the same ilk.
edit on 28-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

The Walmarts and McDonaldses need to remember two things: 1.) they would be nothing without their employees and 2.) what goes around comes back around.

And the people need to remember something too...band together or you're screwed. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Exactly.

And if all those low-wage employees called in sick on the same day - whether Walmart or McDonalds (paid or unpaid - just call in sick) or hotel housekeepers or CNAs in the nursing homes that care for the elderly parents of the 'congressmen' - well -
it would make a HUGE statement.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
A fine example of Parasitism. Free will only for those on the top controlling everyone else. The feudal system is already here and the pyramid system ones more fail in bringing good for all citizens based on merit and effort.
edit on 28-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Source

'nuff said, I guess..

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

It's sad. I agree.
I gguess it really is a new feudalism. There is more than enough for those at the top to live in luxury and then some. It's the "and then some" that they are hoarding instead of propping up the plebes.

We'll get a bone thrown to us soon. Just enough to keep the system perpetuating. I guess you have to be raised in the environment of greed in order to get the mentality. I couldn't sleep at night as a billionaire knowing I could literally change the world.

edit on 28-4-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Now . Now. Let's us all just calm down.
We all know who are the real job creators. After all, they have to hire some one to drive that fancy new car and what about the new boat or plane. You don't expect these owners to drive themselves do you?
And what about all those miles they put on these toys. Do you think they change the oil in the engine or change a bad tire?
Come, come, people give this situation a little more thought.
Along with all this responsibility they desearve a big payday. Surely all this work builds up a ferocious appetite, so they have to get paid a lot to be able to buy all that food.
Of course after they retire, all fat and happy, they will be easier to catch.
You know when we start to eat the rich.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: teamcommander

Oh, yes, of course....

Secret life of a superyacht superhero: Serve and obey at all costs

There's one word a billionaire's servant should never say.
"No."
"Banish it from your vocabulary," wide-eyed recruits are told. Because when money is no object, neither is the extent staff are expected to go in satisfying their master's most extravagant desires.
The financial titans of the world don't just require service par excellence -- they demand superheroes at their beck and call.
People willing to swim in jellyfish-infested water, survive on four hours sleep a night, and accept every criticism with not so much as a raised eyebrow.
Observant stewards must become instant experts on their wealthy boss's favorite meals, music tastes, heavens above even their bowel movements.

And if these foot soldiers of hospitality don't make the grueling regime look easy -- or keep quiet about the high profile lives on board -- then they're out of a job paying anything from $1,000 to $6,000 a week.

Well, at least they're well-paid slaves.

Money talks
With a superyacht costing anything between $30 million and $100 million, you can safely bet that if you're wealthy enough to own one, you're wealthy enough to make extreme demands on your staff.
"We are talking about the ultra rich -- Russian oligarchs, Arab sheiks, oil gurus," says Sara Vestin Rahmani, founder of Bespoke Bureau, a high-end domestic staff recruitment agency running the superyacht training course.

The 'Bespoke Bureau'.
heh.

One, who didn't want to be named, will be taking the place of her supervisor who recently got fired. "It's very tough," she says. "If they don't like your hair or the way your voice sounds, you're out."

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Let me put it to you this way..

When I started working in the low 90s I think.. I was getting min wage... 3.25 in my state. Prices of things were as follows..

Cigs = .90
Gas = between 99 and 1.10 a gallon
Lb of ground meat = about 49 to 59 cents a lb..

Today min wage is 7.25 where I live.
Cigs = good ones marlboro 7 bucks, newport around 7.50ish.
Gas = 3.80 a gallon
A lb of ground meat = 5 bucks.

My translation, you can only fill a cup so far before everything in the cup over flows..
Meaning you can give all the money to the poor, it still doesn't make them feel rich.. It actually makes them poorer..

Ahh Inflation, goto love it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join