It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women Of ATS, Do You Feel Respected Here?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I do not feel as though I have ever been disrespected because I am a female.

I have had my fair share of arguments with both men and women here, but they pertained to the thread and our differing opinions in said threads.

I see a lot of disrespect here among people, but it appears to have nothing to do with anyone's sex

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

That's a really healthy outlook to have, and probably something I should work on myself.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Most of the ladies on this site are great. Some have been very supportive of me through my illness. They can do the caring posts a lot better than the guys and they keep in touch. In fact I'm missing a certain lady from ATS. I know she hasn't been too well recently I have sent her a u2u, but had no response. I hope she's ok.

Sometimes I don't know who is male or female, an attractive female avatar doesn't mean it's not a guy typing away behind it.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Well, with my name, I haven't been mistaken for a guy very often, so that's good.

I can't really remember a time when I have felt disrespected by a man here. Besides the usual school out time, (snotty little demons come out of the woodwork! LOL) most men here seem to be very respectful, even when vehemently getting their point across.

And if your not, I'll let you know!
It's the mom in me.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I can't think of but one thread where I was treated with disrespect, but the poster was a particularly nasty character who didn't last very long here.

I like to think that the respect I receive is because of the respect I give and not the result of my gender. With my username being what it is, its pretty hard to disguise the fact that I'm a woman; and I can't think of any reason why I would want to.

J

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

This is fairly accurate in many ways.

It would be nice if the internet were truly genderless. But it would also be nice if civility reigned.

The 4chan rule of "There are no girls on the internet" kind of sums it all up. I doubt that they knew how deep that statement actually was at the time. But who knows....

In any event, I see that females are generally given fair treatment. My barometer is that I am not spending my day arguing with misogynists.

Obviously, with my own penchant for gorillas (and self declaration of fat), I have yet to be mistaken for a female.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Obviously, with my own penchant for gorillas (and self declaration of fat), I have yet to be mistaken for a female.

I thought you were a women!

THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I feel for the women here sometimes. I've actually been on the receiving end with my crying, sad little avatar, I've actually gotten U2U's that were suggestive in nature.

I rarely get U2Us, but the few I have gotten have mostly been to thank me for a post I've made, or to apologize for a post they made, or to invite me to a thread. I have never once gotten a U2U that was mean or nasty or suggestive. I'm thankful for that.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I feel for the women here sometimes. I've actually been on the receiving end with my crying, sad little avatar, I've actually gotten U2U's that were suggestive in nature.

I rarely get U2Us, but the few I have gotten have mostly been to thank me for a post I've made, or to apologize for a post they made, or to invite me to a thread. I have never once gotten a U2U that was mean or nasty or suggestive. I'm thankful for that.

I get death threats on occasion.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I have never felt disrespected as a woman here, but I have been called a guy, dude, man, etc. a lot. I think most people assume a poster is a guy unless the name or avatar kind of gives it away. I will correct those when they make the mistake but I am glad that it really doesn't seem to make a big difference here at ATS what gender anyone is unless it is topic specific (ex. Women in the military debates, etc.). I usually don't feel the need to share my gender unless it pertains to an issue that is being discussed and I think most folks do the same thing for the same reason. We all try different ways to avoid letting information about ourselves cloud the argument at hand.

I do recall having a discussion with another member about nylons though...

Kidding!

ETA- I am surprised that so many are saying they get nasty messages here. I have never gotten one. That's unreal that people would get that mad.

edit on 4/28/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Well, none of them were from me! I may vehemently disagree with you, but you've made me laugh out loud on many occasions, so for that, I'll tip my hat to you. You've taught us not to take this too too seriously.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl
a reply to: U4ea82

As for respect here? Yes, actually...I do feel much respect from many members. More so than in real life, honestly. I'm a feminine female, tall and slim with long blonde hair. People look at me and assume I'm dumb.
At least here members pay attention to what I have to say, and I like that very much.

jacygirl

Well, I respect you tons my dear.

Now... when you have finished posting go and cook my dinner and then iron my shirts please...

*coughs*

On a more serious note, we all should have the same attention and respect for each other regardless of whether we are a male or female.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

No, that's not true Beezer, I was just giving you recipies for rabbit thats all...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
There are no women on ATS anyone that has been on the net long enough knows the truth. And here it is Men are men women are men and kids are the FBI.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I agree. I have been known to be quite contentious at times. But I don't have that many posts....maybe its just an odds thing.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
Thank you for the laugh!

I just realized though, I should donate my body to science or something, somebody has some serious explaining to do, if I'm really a man.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

You'd think the female avatar picture would be a hint.

that's a female? I didn't realize that...but over time I guess with various subjects we get to know gender.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

It's Henrietta from South Park.
She's a 4th grader Goth.

I've gotten complaints from some folks that she's wearing an upside down cross and so I'm a 'bad christian' or something. But the thing is .. she wears a FULL cross, it's just the fold of her dress that covers part of the cross in the picture.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

There is no Gender on the internet.

If you do say it, the consequences that follow are all your own fault.

Well if you are around enough sooner or later there is a thread about childbirth or child rearing or husband wife problems, something where your gender is important to the conversation or becomes obvious where you give your insider view.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: Char-Lee

It's Henrietta from South Park.
She's a 4th grader Goth.

I've gotten complaints from some folks that she's wearing an upside down cross and so I'm a 'bad christian' or something. But the thing is .. she wears a FULL cross, it's just the fold of her dress that covers part of the cross in the picture.

I thought it was a priest! I don't watch TV but the rare Doc or some such.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join