It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Producing Huge, Lightly Guarded Stockpile of Plutonium

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I just don't understand this article, ATS. When is Japan going to learn not to toy around with Nuclear Technology? According to the article Private Owners are building a government sponsored Nuclear Power plant atop cliffs overlooking the Pacific. Can you say "Fukushima?" What's even worse, this Nuclear Plant is guarded by a small contingent of security officers who DON'T HAVE GUNS!

The Rokkasho plant is the cornerstone of a plan to build the world’s first energy system based on plutonium-powered breeder reactors, which produce more plutonium than they consume. Japan’s leaders affirmed last month they intend to proceed with that effort, a decision that has stoked anxiety in East Asia and set off alarms among Western experts who worry about the spread of nuclear weapons technology — including some inside the Obama administration.

Is Japan asking for another disaster? I ask you, ATS? Should we worry or not?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hey if they have a bunch of it, that stuff is running low, i bet it would be worth a lot in a few more years.

Oh and its not like japan is exactly doing all so great overall for money.

So yeah, id be guarding that pretty well

edit on b30301034 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Want to know a country that likes plutonium as well?, the UK, the UK has the largest plutonium stock pile lol. Only one reason you want plutonium and its bombs.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
I just don't understand this article, ATS. When is Japan going to learn not to toy around with Nuclear Technology? According to the article Private Owners are building a government sponsored Nuclear Power plant atop cliffs overlooking the Pacific. Can you say "Fukushima?" What's even worse, this Nuclear Plant is guarded by a small contingent of security officers who DON'T HAVE GUNS!

The Rokkasho plant is the cornerstone of a plan to build the world’s first energy system based on plutonium-powered breeder reactors, which produce more plutonium than they consume. Japan’s leaders affirmed last month they intend to proceed with that effort, a decision that has stoked anxiety in East Asia and set off alarms among Western experts who worry about the spread of nuclear weapons technology — including some inside the Obama administration.

Is Japan asking for another disaster? I ask you, ATS? Should we worry or not?

www.nbcnews.com...

Been here on and off since the early 90's. Japan is.. . Nice people, but politicians are money hungry and power crazy.
I do believe the treaty the US has with Japan is that they must turn plutonium over to the US. I quite sure just within the last several weeks a shipment was let out of Japan.

Tepco has so much political power it is sickning . There are threads here about TEPCO so I won't go any further, but a major crime was committed against mankind and the boss got praise from handling all the lies to the world.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
because there clearly is not enough dangerous nuclear material in japan as it is

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

with the North Koreans starting another nuclear testing in the near future and China making noises, I'm pretty sure Japan needs some extra safeguards just in case

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
Japan Reverses Nuclear Power Policy
TOKYO - The government of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe decided on a national energy policy Friday that supports the use of nuclear power now and in the future, retracting a nuclear phase-out goal introduced by its predecessor after the 2011 Fukushima Daiichi disaster.Link
Looks like it IS all about politics as usual. They didn't learn enough from Fukushima?

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
If someone can get past security, and the guards and to the plutonium, I say let them have all they can possibly carry. I bet they won't get far, no guns or intervention required.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bellor

Um, no.

Plutonium is used for nuclear fuel, PU239 is used for nuclear weapons, PU238 is used for power in space probes. In fact NASA is running out of plutonium for their space activities.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Because the Japan government is a package of idiots.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Um, no.

Plutonium is used for nuclear fuel, PU239 is used for nuclear weapons, PU238 is used for power in space probes. In fact NASA is running out of plutonium for their space activities.

Um, yes.

Plutonium and Aldermaston - an historical account

In the UK, the Magnox reactors were designed for the dual use of generating commercial electricity as well as being able to produce plutonium for the country's defence programme. A report released by the UK's Ministry of Defence (MoD) says that both the Calder Hall and the Chapelcross power stations, which started up in 1956 and 1958 respectively, were operated on this basis

The Rokkasho plant in Japan is Uranium reprocessing plant by the way, though does have the capacity for plutonium a limited 8 tons of Plutonium annualy, versus its 800 ton annual capacity of Uranium.

One interesting thing to note about this particular facility is that it contains A MOX fuel fabrication plant, MOX fuel is is a way of utilizing surplus weapons-grade plutonium.

Am I to believe you are suggesting they will not be churning out weapons of mass destruction at this facility?

Im not sure what NASA has to do with it, America gets most of its nuclear fuel from Russia doesnt it?
edit on 29-4-2014 by Bellor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

What part of "commercial power" did you miss? So you're saying that all the nuclear power plants around the world are cranking out weapons grade plutonium?

NASA uses plutonium, but Russia hasn't been delivering so they're running out.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I have never said any such thing, please keep up to speed thank you.

What commercial power do you speak off?, I have read nothing in the op's post that suggested anything concerning commercial power nor trade deals to any particular country. Oh apart from this.

includes 730 pounds of high-grade plutonium, the kind preferred by weapons designers, that Japan has agreed to send to the United States.

That is however concerning their global stockpile, most of which is in Britain.

Can I just quote you something from the threads source link?

Once it’s running, sometime after October, the plant will produce thousands of gallon-sized steel canisters containing a flour-like mixture of waste uranium and plutonium. In theory, the plutonium is capable of providing the fuel for a huge nuclear arsenal

When the plant is operating at full capacity, it’s supposed to produce 8 metric tons of plutonium annually. That’s enough to make an estimated 2,600 nuclear weapons, each with the explosive force of 20,000 tons of TNT.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

In theory. And that's only if it produces Pu239. That's the only type of plutonium that can be used in weapons. Pu238 is used in space probes, which the US also needs.

But in this case, you should have read more. They're using the plant to extract plutonium from spent fuel rods to create new fuel rods for commercial plants.

The mammoth plant in the village of Rokkasho, scheduled to be completed in October, is meant to extract plutonium from spent commercial reactor fuel so it can be used in fresh fuel to be burned in the country’s reactors. “With safety first in mind always, Japan will promote…the completion of Rokkasho,” the energy plan states.

www.publicintegrity.org...

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Blackmarket sales would be a possibility. if hijacked.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

What part of "commercial power" did you miss? So you're saying that all the nuclear power plants around the world are cranking out weapons grade plutonium?

NASA uses plutonium, but Russia hasn't been delivering so they're running out.

except Plutonium Breeder reactors are not a viable way of producing Pu 238. Pu 238 only makes up about 1% of the isotopic spectrum of Pu made in reactors which has to be isotopically separated and that takes enormous amounts of energy and in the end you only get a total yield of about 1%. The more efficient way of producing Pu 238 is by using Np 237. So these plants are not for making scientifically valuable Pu 238 they are for making money which we have all seen what has happened to Japan when they go down that route. I can't believe the japanese people would stand for any type of new nuclear facility.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BGTM90

There are other uses as well. Yes it's not easy to produce, but if you were to be the sole supplier, or one of the only ones, you can make a lot doing it.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
2 options/ radiation is harmless orrrrrrf they are trying to kill us

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

There are other uses as well. Yes it's not easy to produce, but if you were to be the sole supplier, or one of the only ones, you can make a lot doing it.

Your not getting my point. If the goal was to create Pu 238 they wouldn't go about it the way they are doing it. Its not efficient at all to extract and Isotopically separate Pu 238 out of the fuel its self its much easier to extract Neptunium or Americium from spent fuel. (which they already have more than they will ever need.) Theres no point in making more nuclear reactors besides making a profit at the expense of the people of Japan.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

It is if it's something they know would cause problems for them. Especially if large quantities aren't needed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join