It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet - Atlas - Pentagon Using Man-Sized Robots For "Humanitarian" Work

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Published on Apr 23, 2014
"U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel got a first-hand look at a life-size robot that resembles Hollywood's "Terminator," the latest experiment by the Pentagon's hi-tech researchers.

But unlike the cinematic version, the hulking Atlas robot is designed not as a warrior but as a humanitarian machine that would rescue victims in the rubble of a natural disaster, officials said on Tuesday.

The 6-foot-2-inch Atlas is one of the entrants in a contest designed to produce a man-like life-saver machine, the brainchild of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)."

Thought I'd pop in and post this video. I'm sure there are dual purposes for such technology. So without further delay. enjoy.

Thought?

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I'm sure there are dual purpose too.

thing like big dog will only be used to help troops carry stuff
and drones will only used on the battle field and never to
watch civilians.....
edit on 27/4/2014 by skuly because: coming to a police force near you soon

+22 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Because the Pentagon is all about Humanitarian work.

right.

Right?

Peace

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
It will be used in humanitarian work to iron out the edges and work out the kinks. That doesn't mean it can't do some good. Robots are the future whether we like it or not.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Nothing stops the relentless march of progress.

I loved Cenk Uygur's skeptical comments on reporters being ushered out of the briefing at one point. Given his attitude, it's not hard to see why ... and I mean that in the kindest way.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

The reporters were told to leave because thing probably bloody fell over and was squirming around on the floor like an epileptic having a fit.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Hm.m.m.m.m...Good find Slayer. This is the beginning of a slippery slope...

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It looks more like a prototype of an offensive bipedal drone designed for nefarious purposes rather than a contestant in a "life-saver machine" contest.

Weaponize the dude and they've got themselves the warrior that they deny it to be.

"Knock knock"

'Who's there??"

"S.E.A.R.C.H W.A.R.R.A.N.T - I.'L.L M.A.K.E M.Y O.W.N W.A.Y I.N"

... BOOOM!!

Anyhow, the robotic hand movements are impressive - pity they didn't demonstrate its' gait.

edit on 27-4-2014 by Perhaps because: OF STUFF

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
That's great and all, no it really is....

Shame we couldn't just stop blowing # up then maybe we wouldn't need humanitarian robots. Now all the thing is missing is some serious armament. Besides by humanitarian, they mean humane as in when the robot kicks in Assad's door the neck snapping attachment will be "humane".

If you think about this tech which undoubtedly be an M2M design where these robots communicate instantly with one another. There health status, location and whatever resistance in the vicinity will all be sent instantly to a cloud (sky) server (net) for maximum response time. Yeah he said it right... We're F****

"We expect millions of devices to be connected over the next few years, but there are significant challenges to overcome to enable the Internet of Things," said Sierra Wireless CTO Philippe Guillemette.
"One of these challenges is the time and investment required to get a new M2M application from design to deployment and beyond. In building Legato, our aim is to provide a complete device to cloud solution for developers, along with tools, support, and a development community to help streamline these efforts and give embedded M2M projects a head start."

www.theinquirer.net...

Belkin’s first “Internet of Things” system was WeMo, a simply WiFi-based home automation network. WeMo might automatically cool or heat your home, turn on and off lights, and otherwise set up one’s home for automatic control (i.e. you could change or set controls for your garage door, or turn on the porch lights — from your smartphone or any computer).

As everything becomes wired, where does that leave us?

www.forbes.com...

edit on 27-4-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

An inventor can never control his invention. Kamran Loghman had his regrets, Einstein regretted his letter, Nobel set up the prize for peace in a manner resembling reparation for his role in inventing.

These inventors will have their regrets too I am sure. It's just a matter if they will be alive to see a potential for good misused.
edit on 27-4-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I wonder how long it will be before these things are the new SWAT team?
--A few years perhaps, but inevitable.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Well while they have armed sky drones with crazy good cameras on them, they wouldn't need to weaponise a human sized robot.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
My problem with creating these robots is multi-layered.

For one, it gives DARPA reasons to justify any disaster and build tons more. This alone is frightening because of the fact that the agency itself is mainly for war preparations and "DEFENSIVE" built machines or weapons. I don't buy it. There are evil men with lots of money foaming at the mouth for this kind of control. Why? Because it takes the human emotional element out of the equation. War mongers want nothing more than brainless beings to fight their unnecessary wars. This is perfect for them.

Secondly, where is the development for human protection in itself? Why waste the money? I can only assume in the hundreds of millions, on machines that will inevitably become weapons? We just need development into the right devices to protect ourselves from disasters and events, not feeding into the Military Industrial Complex.

Either way, this isn't needed or necessary. We need infrastructure and grid improvements across the nation. We need sewage and water updates all over the world so where do see money spent?
War robots. ****ing war robots.

Unbelievable.
Typical government...wasting our tax money for their games.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Lostbook
uh
this is not the "beginning of a slippery slope"

This is the full on picking up speed as were going downhill buddy

X

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Anyone with a shred of imagination, or who has seen a movie in the last, I don't know, twenty years, will be able to see the light and dark of it...

Pros:
Help set up bases on other planets, or do dangerous "space walk" duties
Spelunking / Mining / Fixing the dang BP Oil Spew at the source...
Medical / Biohazard handling - medical duties - without risking contact to doctors/nurses/pathologists
Extreme rescue, as mentioned in the video
Seal Team Droids! (that one can go in either pro or con)
Helpful droids! Protocol anyone???

Cons:
Battle droids! Eeek!
Fascist Police Force!
If you go AI for "greater efficiency" then you risk Terminator/SkyNet/Hal...
Assassin - set up gun, (or use a handy one implanted in its body) make calculations, fire, begone, no fingerprints and no traces...

I'm sure other's can come up with more! Technology - a double edged sword.

peace,
AB

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Weren't the Cylons in Battlestar Galactica created to help man? Look what happened there...

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I can imagine the US government creating their version of the "Rules of robotics" (nod to Asimov)

1. A robot will injure a human target and, through causation, allow a human target to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by its controllers in a trailer in Nevada.
3. A robot must sacrifice its own existence as long as there is any investigation being conducted on illegal government activity.
4. All robots must be programmed to look for, and destroy Sarah Connor.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I have seen more than enough scifi to know that that is clearly a cylon.

Simulated rescue mission:

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
While the 'favorite' boogieman is the pentagon.

There is no one as far as advanced as the Japanese.

In fact the pentagon could learn a thing or two from them.
edit on 27-4-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Are there any tests that show a stick of TNT will blow
one apart and where to place it?
Do we have to be humanitarian back?
Guess they no longer need to worry about gun confiscation.
I hope I'm not to old to join in the future festivities?

Kind of trippy to have just watched this movie last night
and wake up to Slayer in the A.M. lol

edit on Ram42714v292014u33 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join