It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiritual Reorientation 3: You are your body

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Spiritual Reorientation 3: You are your body.

Those who claim spiritual monopoly over spiritual ideas and necessities assert that we are not our body. Ironically, every time they utter these claims they do so as a body. But whether for vain reasons they do not like themselves, or they simply long to perish, they nonetheless speak ill of the body, and hence, under the guise of mystical wisdom, speak ill about themselves and everyone around them.

But we humor these good people, and when we address them, we pretend we do not see them. We look around for the source of the words, but a body is always in the way. This body is capable of speaking, but it sees itself as something like a machine, or worse, a prison—the paradox of an immaterial ghost trapped in a material jail. We dare not let them out however, for every vain bird loves its cage. He’ll remain hidden for now, chattering about how he is locked somewhere within, hidden, yet the cell door is wide open. We humour these good people. It is safer that way.

They claim, as they often do, that this ghost which animates the body is something within the body, yet unlike everything else within the body, that which is involved in the functioning and maintaining of it, this ghost is somehow not part of it, let alone its entirety. We might suppose then that this ghost, being within the body but not of the body, is perhaps akin to a foreign object, almost like a parasite or a disease; yet unlike other foreign objects, they are something the body’s most prudent defence mechanisms refuses to acknowledge. We don’t even get a rash.

What they think they are is something they never find, only talk about. When I imagine these seekers, I picture a man looking for the hat he is already wearing on his head. They speak of freedom and liberation from themselves, and worse, that believing we are not the body is an act of spirituality, that to be spiritual is to make oneself less than what he already is, something other than himself, a nothing. Without once getting up, going outside and being in a sea of adventure and vitality, they seek only in their thoughts, and of course, that is all they ever find.

Life passes by, and before they have realized their mortality, they have died a hundred deaths already. Their poor body, only ever wanting to live while the opportunity for life was dangled unreachable in front of it, and having taken the physical burden of the ghost's insatiability for seeking the infinite among the finite, as a mule, as a slave, the paradox of a material thing trapped within an immaterial jail, the body finally gets its freedom, and dies only once.

Spiritual Reorientation 2: No Excuses
Spiritual Reorientation 1: The meaning comes from within

edit on 25-4-2014 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

Funny thing but i do mostly agree with this post but not for the same reasons as to why it was posted. True the body is of first importance because it is a necessity for experiencing on the physical and for surviving. Anyone who rejects his flesh because he thinks there is something better outside of it is true in a sense but its definitely not the right approach. These people that deny their physical life are fools because this way, they do also deny their survival in the afterlife. The body is needed for a reason, belittle your body and you belittle your entire existence.

And true, the soul is not "part" of the physical body in the sense that it is not physical or biological but made of something else entirely (altough all is made from the same limitless pool of life energy). Because you cannot explain a phenomenon doesnt mean it is not there. There are plenty things you do not perceive but are "here and there, everywhere". The soul is linked to the body, and both need each others. Take away the soul from a body and you take away its way of survival because the body needs which allow it to move and function. The unconscious mechanisms are not inherent to the body alone but to a part of the soul which is called the subconscious and/or the wisdom of the body which is a natural infinite and creative intelligence that transcends logic. So if i am to compare the soul to a parasite, it definitely is a benefical parasite that allows its host to survive (flesh) in exchange for shelter. It is a synergy, or Symbiosis. In fact its a kind of perfect symbiosis because both need each other to survive and at birth both are in total harmony. Then by growing up various belief systems and ideals, negative influences, worthless mental shocks due to various little things destroy the precious balance thus preventing most of feeling their inner selves and the greater perceptions such a symbiosis has to offer.

You are on earth for a reason but it is not so mysterious or grand than most think. It is simple survival. Nothing is ever granted. If you dont breath, you die. You dont eat, you die. You dont move, you die. There is no reason to think it is otherwise in the afterlive. Just different rules for completely different world.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
There was a thread posted a few days ago that aligns more with what I believe.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I arrived at the same conclusion independent of having heard it from Allan Watts.

The identity is malleable.

I believe that my body is a small part of my true self. My true self is the universe that put my body here.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Some of those spiritual aspirants also forget the mysterious qualities of matter. They can dismiss and discount the body at the drop of a hat and yet it is made up of those quantum particles whose properties are lauded as supportive of their particular viewpoint.
I think those deniers have everything upside down and back to front...in fact...the body is our oldest dearest friend, it is our magical travelling companion.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
How is 'the body' experienced? Examine and study how 'body' presents itself in each waking moment.
Are you experiencing ears? Or are you perceiving sound?
Are you perceiving eyes or are you seeing colour and patterns?
Are you in a body or does a body appear within your perception?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Isn't it interesting that a person can say "I am my body"? It's almost as if "I" and "my body" are two different things, and "my body" is something that this "I" is identifying with, and if that is the case then who is this "I" really?

To me, it is Consciousness, Awareness and all of the Emotions, Thoughts, Beliefs, and The Body are all just manifestations of it.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
How is 'the body' experienced? Examine and study how 'body' presents itself in each waking moment.

Are you experiencing ears? Or are you perceiving sound?

Are you perceiving eyes or are you seeing colour and patterns?

Are you in a body or does a body appear within your perception?

That's all a bit silly...I feel my body...Or should I say 'the body feels...

And who is it that shall examine and study the body? The body of course.

The body has ears that hear and eyes that see.

I am not in a body I am this body.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

Does the body have edges/boundaries which divide? In other words - is there an inside and outside to the 'body' you say you are?
edit on 26-4-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Does the body have edges/boundaries which divide? In other words - is there an inside and outside to the 'body' you say you are?

And that is a bit silly as well...does anything have an outside and inside?

I am the eye that sees and the ear that hears...I am that sensory apparatus.

In fact I am the whole shebang...

But I will not deny your existence.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

But I will not deny your existence.

Are you saying that you do not deny that I am separate from you?
Or is that silly as well?

Exploring reality is not silly. I find it fun.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

does anything have an outside and inside?

Only if there is more than one thing. Is there more than one?

In fact I am the whole shebang...

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Are you saying that you do not deny that I am separate from you?

If I deny you then I deny myself.

And those spiritual qualities like love and compassion...where dost thou think they spring from?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon
You assume there is a you because there is something being experienced.
In deep sleep when there is nothing appearing (no sensory input) you aren't - or are you?

Being or not being? That is the question.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: _damon

I agree that the idea of the soul doesn't need to go anywhere. People cannot see inside themselves, so they must imagine.

You are on earth for a reason but it is not so mysterious or grand than most think. It is simple survival. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Survival is but a consequence, not a reason.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Isn't it interesting that a person can say "I am my body"? It's almost as if "I" and "my body" are two different things, and "my body" is something that this "I" is identifying with, and if that is the case then who is this "I" really?

To me, it is Consciousness, Awareness and all of the Emotions, Thoughts, Beliefs, and The Body are all just manifestations of it. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's so multifacted, that one of its facets thinks its separate. It is amazing. Now is it the language or the body that makes us think this way?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Very wise observation. Most seekers don't bother to consider the question. Eckart tolle found his recognition through similar lines of inquisitive thought.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Extremely clumsy approach here. The only one doing the hearing and seeing is you. Eyes don't see, and ears don't listen.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I agree that the idea of the soul doesn't need to go anywhere. People cannot see inside themselves, so they must imagine.

Seekers should be very mindful of their assumptions. EVERYTHING you see, and hear is the resulting output of what your brain and nervous system presents to you and that's ALL happening inside yourself.

The key to seeking is to be aware of the assumptions. To say 'I am my Body' is the same thing as saying 'I and my Body are separate things' , you've already separated yourself and created two identities of which only one 'the body' you are aware of. If you're an honest and genuine seeker, you need to slow down. How can you start a thread called 'spiritual orientation' if you admittedly have never gone beyond your identity with your body?

edit on 26-4-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Compared to the soul, the flesh is said/considered to be weak in most religions. Then you get statements of mind over matter, where the flesh is said to do some impressive things. Where as some spiritual practice require to push the body as if it were boot camp. Like standing on a podium for hours on end without even moving, is incredibly impressive feat of strength really, both of the body as well as the endurance of the mind.

Some practices could be just breathing in certain way through regular routine daily, or meditate in chilling weather, while more extreme methods teach one how handle immense pain.

The problem with the soul, is that it incredibly interchangeable with mind and body, seeing as how our bodies are of a bio electric chemical nature. Ether emotions are responses with chemicals inside the brain to determine how we think or act were, and we are slaves to it, or we really have a choice in how we think and act.

As for the after life...Well wouldn't we like to kno wouldn't we?

Anyways , at the end of all religious philosophies, mastery over ones self is the greatest power spiritual teaching can offer, as compared to mastery over others. Where finding peace with ones self can be the greatest challenge any spirit can face. Like the Bushido code of Jinn(compassion) which contradicts a deadly warriors mentality. Makes an interesting clash of emotions.

Wax on, Wax off.
edit on 26-4-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Visitor2012

Extremely clumsy approach here. The only one doing the hearing and seeing is you. Eyes don't see, and ears don't listen.

Taken out of context a bit...I am merely saying I am the body. It is a declaration of unity not one of division.

Are my ears and eyes not part of me?

And thanks for letting me know who is listening and hearing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join