It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Unprecedented Plague Hits Oranges and Another Hits Bananas ! Better not I like them both!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Like I said in the title I hope this article is off base.. It seems like many of our food stuffs which we consume are already increasing in price due to shortages.

What is causing all of these plagues to hit our food supply? Have you heard of citrus greening disease? Probably not, but it has already gotten so bad that it is being projected that Florida’s orange harvest will be the smallest in 30 years. Have you heard of TR4? Probably not, but it has become such a nightmare that some analysts believe that it could eventually wipe out the entire global supply of the type of bananas that Americans eat. In addition, another major plague is killing millions of our pigs, and a crippling drought that never seems to end is absolutely devastating agricultural production in the state of California. Are we just having bad luck, or is there something else to all of this?

www.activistpost.com...
edit on 25-4-2014 by 727Sky because: ///

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

It will get worse before it will get better. The drought we have faced down, it happens in cycles. Same with disease in plants. The more we learn to kill the more we find.

But its not as bad as the article states, we will see some increased prices for a couple years, but probably not as much or as bad as the article states... they are being hysterical.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Forgive me for being the bearer of bad news, but this is about the third thread I've seen on this.....

Maybe this is where GMO will play a super hero roll. ..if this gets out of control...

Just sayin

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere
Forgive me for being the bearer of bad news, but this is about the third thread I've seen on this.....

Maybe this is where GMO will play a super hero roll. ..if this gets out of control...

Just sayin

Absolutely not!
The problem is caused by the growers only growing a few slightly different types of fruit! If growers would grow many types there would always be some that were resistant to any particular disease. Put all your eggs in one basket and they all get broke!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I wouldn't put it past Monsanto to be starting these diseases. They have tried just about every dirty trick in the book so far, this would just seem the next logical step by them.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD

I wouldn't put it past Monsanto to be starting these diseases. They have tried just about every dirty trick in the book so far, this would just seem the next logical step by them.
Correct. Letting loose a disease can mean billions to them, I cannot imagine them NOT doing it.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I've heard of the banana one recently, and the citrus greening for a number of years here in FL. Diseases of the citruses are nothing new to anyone who's ever lived in a grove area or had trees of their own. Does no one remember Citrus Canker? Seriously? Or Citrus Blight? When I was a teen, 2 of our 3 orange trees, both grapefruit trees and our lemon tree fell victim to CB.

And I think the current variety of bananas we commonly eat was a replacement for a previous type that was decimated by a disease in the early 20th century, too. This is nothing new, but never a welcome battle for any grower.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I think we can rule out Monsanto for the Citrus Greening...it is caused by an insect, and has been traveling the world....and is finally arriving in the US.
My thread on it from two years ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Fri Apr 25 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

From your prior post of two years ago:

An insect that spread from it's native Southeast Asia was detected in Florida in 1998.
Since then, it has spread throughout the Southern U.S, including Florida, Texas, Hawaii, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, and California.

If that wasn't bad enough, these little critters are also guilty of spreading the disease Huanglongbing or Citrus Greening Disease
Right now, there is no cure and it kill citrus trees. The infection attacks the vascular system of the trees, causing a yellowing of leaves and death within a few years.
People are urged not to share fruit or grafts with friends and neighbors to keep the disease from spreading.
The disease has the capability of making citrus trees growing impossible...as it is in parts of the world right now. Loss of income, loss of jobs and less OJ on the breakfast table.

In parts of California, traps designed to mimic the appearance of citrus fruit are being used. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I heard that about the bananas too...and I hope they are working on the next generation as we speak.
Here's some info

There is no cure for TR4, which particularly affects the Cavendish variety that accounts for 47 per cent of world banana production - by far the biggest.

The disease affects the trees but not the bananas themselves and the only solution is to cut down the trees, dig trenches between trees to prevent its spread and impose strict quarantine measures.

Top producers in Latin America, including the world's main producer Ecuador, have so far not been affected but FAO warned there was a "potential" risk.

news.asiaone.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I think we can rule out Monsanto for the Citrus Greening...it is caused by an insect, and has been traveling the world....and is finally arriving in the US.
My thread on it from two years ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm not so sure, just because we know the vectors for the disease doesn't mean that a company like Monsanto couldn't have spread them into all the right places. I mean if Monsanto was going to do something like this then they wouldn't want to have to send people out contaminate the crops, its far easier to just introduce infected insects to do the work for them.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Hmmm. Monoculture? Factory farming? ...Large harvests from minimal labor, wiped out by a single bug.

Efficient? Depends how you look at it.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere

Just sayin

yea gettin' hegelian on the GMO! ... problem reaction solution... make people "WANT" gmo... invent a virus plague that only GMO will prevent.... there ya go...

top topics

join