It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA worried by unusually big iceberg six times the size of Manhattan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
rt.com...

Dubbed “B31,” the iceberg could pose some significant problems for ships if it continues to melt or break apart in the Southern Ocean.

At 255 square miles (660 sq. km) and 500 meters thick, B31 is one of the biggest icebergs on the planet – and currently six times the size of Manhattan.

Although the process of icebergs breaking off from glaciers is typical – “iceberg calving,” as its known, typically occurs at the Pine Island Glacier every six to 10 years – NASA’s Earth Observatory is attempting to keep a special eye on B31.

Currently, B31 is not in the way of any Antarctic shipping lanes, but Brunt said its current trajectory means that's where the iceberg is headed.

"It's floating off into the sea and will get caught up in the current and flow around the Antarctica continent where there are ships," she said, according to the Guardian.

NASA has been monitoring the Pine Island Glacier since 2011, when it first observed a crack that eventually got larger and resulted in B31 breaking off into the ocean. The massive glacier has been highlighted by scientists over the last 20 years due to the fact that, as NASA put it, “it has been thinning and draining rapidly and may be one of the largest contributors to sea level rise.”

WOW that's impressive...

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
My guess is that any ships in the area will probably avoid colliding with it....we'll for various reasons, but one sticks out in particular.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Someone should plant a flag on it and homestead.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister
who has the grazing rights to it?

Its just a baby iceburg

In 1987 an iceberg with an area of 6350 square kilometers broke from the Ross Ice Shelf

edit on 25-4-2014 by Hoaxster because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Why can't they start blow torching it, if their so worried about it? Get started on it now before it's too late...
edit on 4/25/14 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The sheer size of this iceberg is both scary and massively impressive. The scale just goes beyond what I consider an iceberg to be and is a bit of an eyeopener.
edit on 25/4/2014 by iskander683 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hoax. Obviously this is not possible with the runaway global warming Al Gore warned us about 10 years ago.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Hx3_1963

Can they tow that thing over a drought stricken area? Free ice for a decade!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Invite the worlds air forces for bombing practise

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Pffff, and the Day After Tomorrow thought they were being bada** years ago with their puny little chunk the size of Rhode Island. Connecticut is nearly 5 times that...

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
What's really interesting is how relatively small that iceberg is in the video to the rest of the South Pole. Whole lotta ice down there........

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

edit on 25-4-2014 by Neocrusader because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2014 by Neocrusader because: sorry can never remember how to embed vids

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Again why is this NASA problem?

Seeing as they are having to hitch rides on Russian ships shouldn't they be focusing on space not Icebergs?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Seeing as they are having to hitch rides on Russian ships shouldn't they be focusing on space not Icebergs?

Well I suppose focusing on icebergs from space is close enough?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoaxster

Amazing, that iceberg had enough water to provide every person on the Earth with 270 tons of water.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I don't understand why this is an issue, it is not like the thing is going to be moving fast. With today modern communication and navigation equipment you would have to be pretty incompetent to crash into it.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I am guessing it is because NASA operates the Earth Observatory satellites that are actually doing the tracking.

And those satellites are up in space. (I think)
edit on 4/25/2014 by Montana because: to reflect more than one source

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit
Hoax. Obviously this is not possible with the runaway global warming Al Gore warned us about 10 years ago.
I believe that warming is what caused it to break away from the glacier so not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: zetnom
I don't understand why this is an issue, it is not like the thing is going to be moving fast. With today modern communication and navigation equipment you would have to be pretty incompetent to crash into it.

I could do it!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
My guess is that any ships in the area will probably avoid colliding with it....we'll for various reasons, but one sticks out in particular.
Because it's moving slower than a snail in mud? I mean how could a modern ship, equipped with radar and the ability to obtain satellite imagery, hit something like this?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join